Some Real Spooky Stuff From MIT

It's not spooky, or new - even. I've heard theories on this dating back to 7th grade math class. They're just now realizing a way to extract it perhaps, albeit, it's not really spooky at all in that most video recordings already record for sound & also there's not many scenarios in which you're "ok" you're being recorded on video, but want what you're SAYING completely private.

A friend of mine, who at the time worked for Hughes Aircraft in Goleta, related a visit by the NSA (this occurred in the early 1980's) and they showed him what he had been working on via screen captures from his CRT that were taken from an aircraft 3,000 feet over the building.

The tech people have been on top of this for quite a while. Who knows what they are working on now...

It's not spooky, or new - even. I've heard theories on this dating back to 7th grade math class. They're just now realizing a way to extract it perhaps, albeit, it's not really spooky at all in that most video recordings already record for sound & also there's not many scenarios in which you're "ok" you're being recorded on video, but want what you're SAYING completely private.

It is not new. You are thinking of sound being recorded from things like vibrating glass windows and such.

The sound in this case is not being recovered from the sound recording on the video. It is being recovered from the video itself. The vibration of a bag of potato chips caused by the sound in the room. The video of the bag's vibrations are translated into sound. You missed the significance of the soundproof glass.

That is totally new.

Last edited:
A friend of mine, who at the time worked for Hughes Aircraft in Goleta, related a visit by the NSA (this occurred in the early 1980's) and they showed him what he had been working on via screen captures from his CRT that were taken from an aircraft 3,000 feet over the building.

The tech people have been on top of this for quite a while. Who knows what they are working on now...

Yes. In the military we spent a lot of money on TEMPEST.

It is not new. You are thinking of sound being recorded from things like vibrating glass windows and such.

The sound in this case is not being recovered from the sound recording on the video. It is being recovered from the video itself. The vibration of a bag of potato chips caused by the sound in the room. The video of the bag's vibrations are translated into sound. You missed the significance of the soundproof glass.

That is totally new.

No I plainly understood, it's that it's REALLY not new.

Re-read my post. The reason I mentioned that most videos also record sound ALREADY was not a point regarding this new technology, it was a point against it having spooky implications. I fully understand the sound is coming from the frame by frame reading of the video itself. And it's not new.

Or spooky.

If someone has developed a new technology that adds another tool to the government's ability to invade our privacy, that is spooky. Damned straight.

If someone has developed a new technology that adds another tool to the government's ability to invade our privacy, that is spooky. Damned straight.

That's the thing.

Most videos record sound.
Most people on VIDEO are either uncaring about their privacy, or are already being breached even if there were no sound being recorded. Adding that sound can be drawn from the video, that in a rarity isn't already recording sound, is hardly even a step in any direction. It's pretty "meh."

Forum List

Back