🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare

No, they're not, Jake. They're exempt from the law

Some animals are more equal than others

Which part of the law are they exempt from?

Don't be lazy and say the whole thing. Because that will only prove you don't know what you're talking about.

I mean I know you don't, but you'd remove all doubt if thats how you respond.

it is not that they are exempt from the law.

Instead, they will be subsidized by the tax payer for any increase in cost for insurance caused by the ACA....even if they do not financially qualify for the subsidy.

To me, that is a slap in the face.

Good post and it hits the nail right on the head.

Apparantly staffers, unlike the rest of us, won't be feeling any pain with the ACA because we taxpayers will be picking up the tab as usual.

We have been subsidizing them from the beginning. Seems we will continue to subsidize them.

To bad they won't have to shell out any of their own money for their health care.

Last edited:
Wait a minute, if ObamaCare is better and more affordable why would he feel the need to exempt his staff?

Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare - CNN.com

They're not exempt from Obamacare. Nice twist.

They're not being forced to buy from the exchanges like others are (incorrectly) being forced to.

But then again, you're too partisan to understand what "exempt" from Obamacare even means.

Continue the hackery.

Not true. Anyone not insured is forced to pay a penalty/tax or buy a product. Continue on with your hackery. You have it down to an art.

But these people ARE insured.

Don't be lazy and say the whole thing. Because that will only prove you don't know what you're talking about.

Instead, they will be subsidized by the tax payer for any increase in cost for insurance caused by the ACA....even if they do not financially qualify for the subsidy.

That's a totally different situation. But thanks for agreeing they are not being exempt from Obamacare.

They're not part of the ObamaCare exchanges

Some animals are more equal than others. Period.

ObamaCare Exchange for thee, not for me - H Reid, Drug Mule

Did you buy your health insurance through the exchange?

Who says that their subsidy for health insurance will increase? Where do you get your information from?

Here's the article you didn't feel you needed to read before your reflexive defense of your Messiah

"Washington (CNN) -- Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, one of Obamacare's architects and staunchest supporters, is also the only top congressional leader to exempt some of his staff from having to buy insurance through the law's new exchanges.

Reid is the exception among the other top congressional leaders. GOP House Speaker John Boehner, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell have all directed their staffs to join the exchange, their aides said.
After website woes, President pushes benefits of Obamacare

In the charged atmosphere surrounding Obamacare, Reid's decision only gives Republicans more ammo to attack Democrats already suffering politically from the law's botched rollout.

In September, Reid told reporters, "Let's stop these really juvenile political games -- the one dealing with health care for senators and House members and our staff. We are going to be part of exchanges, that's what the law says and we'll be part of that."

I highlighted the key parts.

Find a grown up, preferably someone who can read English, and have them read it to you

Since you ignored my response the first time you posted this.

What you bolded doesn't say they are exempt from Obamacare. Just exempt from being forced to buy from the exchanges, which is certainly NOT a part of the original law.

Wait a minute, if ObamaCare is better and more affordable why would he feel the need to exempt his staff?

Why don't you just create a signature that proclaims your woeful ignorance about what exactly the ACA is, and who signs up for it through the exchanges? The point is this: People who already have insurance don't need the exchanges although they too will benefit by new minimum standards and other parts of the law which prohibit insurance companies from denying coverage for previous conditions.

Here's the article you didn't feel you needed to read before your reflexive defense of your Messiah

"Washington (CNN) -- Democratic Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, one of Obamacare's architects and staunchest supporters, is also the only top congressional leader to exempt some of his staff from having to buy insurance through the law's new exchanges.

Reid is the exception among the other top congressional leaders. GOP House Speaker John Boehner, House Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi and Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell have all directed their staffs to join the exchange, their aides said.

In the charged atmosphere surrounding Obamacare, Reid's decision only gives Republicans more ammo to attack Democrats already suffering politically from the law's botched rollout.

In September, Reid told reporters, "Let's stop these really juvenile political games -- the one dealing with health care for senators and House members and our staff. We are going to be part of exchanges, that's what the law says and we'll be part of that."

Find a grown up, preferably someone who can read English, and have them read it to you

What you bolded doesn't say they are exempt from Obamacare. Just exempt from being forced to buy from the exchanges, which is certainly NOT a part of the original law.

But they're exempt from the law, right?

Was Reid lying in September when he said they "are going to be part of exchanges, that's what the law says and we'll be part of that."?

OK, do we have any facts that Some Reid staffers exempt from Obamacare and that they are not complaint with the law?

Was Reid lying in September when he said they "are going to be part of exchanges, that's what the law says and we'll be part of that."?

No, they're not exempt from the law. I don't know how many different ways you need to be told. I know you're not THIS dumb Frank.

No, they're not exempt from the law. I don't know how many different ways you need to be told. I know you're not THIS dumb Frank.

The exchanges are part of the LAW!

Why don't you just create a signature that proclaims your woeful ignorance about what exactly the ACA is, and who signs up for it through the exchanges? The point is this: People who already have insurance don't need the exchanges although they too will benefit by new minimum standards and other parts of the law which prohibit insurance companies from denying coverage for previous conditions.

Simply not true. Millions will pay higher premiums for coverages they don't even need.

Requiring an employer, the US government to cancel health insurance for a select group of employees really doesn't make much sense particularly since it will cost the government more money to do so. Government employees receive a subsidy of 70% of the cost of health insurance premiums and this will continue for congressional staff when they buy individual health insurance off the exchanges. Since the premiums for individual insurance on or off the exchanges are significantly higher than employee sponsored insurance, costs will go up for the government. However, we all know that this has nothing to do with costs. It's all about politics.

Republicans in Congress hated the act and still wish to repeal it. But they lack that power, so during debate they proposed that if Obamacare was such a great idea for constituents, lawmakers and their staffs should have to enroll through exchanges, too. Democrats, aware of the potential backlash if they said no, agreed to it.

So now republican lawmakers and their staffs are being forced to use the Obamacare exchanges which they dearly hate.

And what has all this accomplished? Absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

Who says that their subsidy for health insurance will increase? Where do you get your information from?

hat was what was decided. If, in fact, staffers premiums rise due to the ACA, the government will pay the entire increase...even if they do not qualify for a subsidy.

In essence, their employer, the government, will continue to pay their entire premium.

All employers have the option to do that, of course. Most wont because it is financially not feasible...so employees will have to foot the increase...

But the government has unlimited funds to be a "good employer".....

Sadly...this is the law that was going to decrease premiums for all...

instead?

Those that don't pay in the system have no increase......thanks to the subsidy....

and...

those hat DO pay into the system pay the increase.

Such is

2014 will be a bad year for America on par with FDR's 1937 debacle, but it will be far, far, far worse for ObamaCare Democrats

How will I, a 55 year old retired individual with grown children and a wife who loves an empty nest benefit from maternity care, pediatric care, birth control, etc.

My policy is a $19,000 a year policy that covers every single thing I need. I have not yet seen what my new premium will be....but seeing as it will need to cover those extra things I mentioned above....it will most certainly increase dramatically.

Not to mention the deductible.

Right now I am at 500....

The ACA, for all the good it will do for the loess fortunate is nothing more than welfare, food stamps and other redistribution programs.

Those that pay for it don't need it and those that don't pay for it will capitalize on it.

Fine. I'm ok with that. It is what it is.

But then why did the President have to lie to get it passed?

Forum List

Back