Sometimes its just better to stop talking

ClosedCaption

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2010
salina.com - an online service of the Salina Journal

Saline County Commissioner Jim Gile said it was a "bad choice of words" Tuesday when he used the expression "******-rigging it" in a heated discussion with Commissioner John Price.

What??

In a recording made by County Clerk Don Merriman of the study session, Gile, who is white, can be heard to say the county needed to hire an architect to design the improvements rather than "******-rigging it."

His comment brought laughter from others in the room. Salinan Ray Hruska, who attends most commission meetings and study sessions, asked Gile what he said.

"Afro-Americanized," Gile replied.

Ok, You still going with "it was a mistake" because uh..

The Rev. Allen Smith, pastor at St. John's Missionary Baptist Church, said Gile's statement is "an offensive slur" but not something Gile meant to say.

"Some people grew up saying it, which is unfortunate," said Smith, who is black. "They grew up in that environment and sometimes they subconsciously say something. It is not a politically correct statement. It wasn't then and is even less now."

Oh ok...I can agree with that.

The Rev. Allen Smith, pastor at St. John's Missionary Baptist Church, said Gile's statement is "an offensive slur" but not something Gile meant to say.

"Some people grew up saying it, which is unfortunate," said Smith, who is black. "They grew up in that environment and sometimes they subconsciously say something. It is not a politically correct statement. It wasn't then and is even less now."

That's true...no harm done

Gile said he grew up around the term, but it is something he shouldn't have used.

"I am not a prejudiced person," Gile said Friday. "I have built Habitat homes for colored people."

1330284710_medium.jpeg

Forum List

Back