Southern cop shoots man running away in the back..

I thought he was too, when I first saw the video. I don't know what that is that he runs back and picks up...but what it ISN'T is the tazer. The tazer flies back behind the officer and rolls end over end in the grass 10-15 feet straight back. Whatever that is that he picks up is already on the ground when the tazer is knocked out of the officers hand.

Watch at second 17-18, just as the camera is turned and set on the fence...watch behind the officer.

What do you suppose that object is the officer tosses on the ground next to the suspect?

I have no idea. When I first saw the video, I thought it was the tazer too...and I also said that moving that tazer was going to sink any defense he was attempted, as moving the tazer was a defacto admission that, at a minimum, he felt the need to bolster his justification for the use of deadly force.

Now, i just don't know...it will definitely be an important fact that hopefully will be released in the coming days.

But like Michael Brown and "Hands up, don't shoot", the "Planted tazer" will be the tagline for this story in the MSM.

So then the officer tossing an unidentified object on the ground next to the suspect doesn't pique your interest.

Sure it does. But I can't speculate one way or the other until I know what exactly the object is.

That the MSM is reporting something that a hillbilly in the backwoods of Missouri with nothing but a 10 year old laptop positively identified as patently false doesn't pique yours?

You can't speculate? Seems you've indulged in more than a little speculation already. Why is this different?

There's no evidence to speculate on. I literally have no clue what that is. Do you have a theory?

It didn't go unnoticed that you skipped this question...

That the MSM is reporting something that a hillbilly in the backwoods of Missouri with nothing but a 10 year old laptop positively identified as patently false doesn't pique yours?​

What do you suppose that object is the officer tosses on the ground next to the suspect?

I have no idea. When I first saw the video, I thought it was the tazer too...and I also said that moving that tazer was going to sink any defense he was attempted, as moving the tazer was a defacto admission that, at a minimum, he felt the need to bolster his justification for the use of deadly force.

Now, i just don't know...it will definitely be an important fact that hopefully will be released in the coming days.

But like Michael Brown and "Hands up, don't shoot", the "Planted tazer" will be the tagline for this story in the MSM.

So then the officer tossing an unidentified object on the ground next to the suspect doesn't pique your interest.

Sure it does. But I can't speculate one way or the other until I know what exactly the object is.

That the MSM is reporting something that a hillbilly in the backwoods of Missouri with nothing but a 10 year old laptop positively identified as patently false doesn't pique yours?

You can't speculate? Seems you've indulged in more than a little speculation already. Why is this different?

There's no evidence to speculate on. I literally have no clue what that is. Do you have a theory?

It didn't go unnoticed that you skipped this question...

That the MSM is reporting something that a hillbilly in the backwoods of Missouri with nothing but a 10 year old laptop positively identified as patently false doesn't pique yours?​
I have no idea what you're talking about.

Here you go Jake...try a rebuttal. "Because I don't like it" just isn't going to cut it.

The more I watch the video, the more positive I am that the officer will be acquitted.

Like I said, the crux of the defense will be if the tazer had been discharged, and if so is it capable of firing a second time without reloading.

Here the defense case:

The officer attempted to use non-lethal force to subdue suspect Scott. Suspect Scott turned on the officer and grabbed for the tazer gun, the tazer gun was, unbeknownst to the officer, knocked from his grasp outside of his field of vision.

The officer believed that suspect Scott was in possession of the officers unfired tazer (or second shot capable tazer). That belief made suspect Scott a danger to the officer, and other officers pursuing suspect Scott. Pursuant to the fleeing dangerous felon portion of South Carolina revised statute Blankity-blank point blank blank, the officer used deadly force to end the threat and the pursuit.

You may not like it, but it's the law.​

Here you go Jake...try a rebuttal. "Because I don't like it" just isn't going to cut it.

The more I watch the video, the more positive I am that the officer will be acquitted.

Like I said, the crux of the defense will be if the tazer had been discharged, and if so is it capable of firing a second time without reloading.

Here the defense case:

The officer attempted to use non-lethal force to subdue suspect Scott. Suspect Scott turned on the officer and grabbed for the tazer gun, the tazer gun was, unbeknownst to the officer, knocked from his grasp outside of his field of vision.

The officer believed that suspect Scott was in possession of the officers unfired tazer (or second shot capable tazer). That belief made suspect Scott a danger to the officer, and other officers pursuing suspect Scott. Pursuant to the fleeing dangerous felon portion of South Carolina revised statute Blankity-blank point blank blank, the officer used deadly force to end the threat and the pursuit.

You may not like it, but it's the law.​

No you're wrong. The officer had no justification to discharge his weapon, that's why he out of a job and being charged with murder.

missourian said:
I have no idea what you're talking about.

"The video appears to show the officer planting a weapon on the victim."

"Stewart also accused the officer of trying to plant evidence by moving the Taser and placing it close to Walter Scott's body."

"How white South Carolina cop 'tried to plant a taser' next to the lifeless body of unarmed black man he'd shot FIVE times in the back and then claimed victim had stolen it off him"

"Officer tells Walter Scott to put his hands behind his back - after shooting him. Then plants taser next to his body"

No you're wrong. The officer had no justification to discharge his weapon, that's why he out of a job and being charged with murder.

Except the law says different.

Note the caveat "reasonably believes".

SUBCHAPTER IV. ARREST.

GS 15A-401

(2) A law-enforcement officer is justified in using deadly physical force upon another person for a purpose specified in subdivision (1) of this subsection only when it is or appears to be reasonably necessary thereby:

a. To defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of deadly physical force;

b. To effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a person who he reasonably believes is attempting to escape by means of a deadly weapon, or who by his conduct or any other means indicates that he presents an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to others unless apprehended without delay; or

c. To prevent the escape of a person from custody imposed upon him as a result of conviction for a felony.

-------------------------------------------

A legal definitions from South Carolina:

SECTION 16-23-10. Definitions.

When used in this article:

(4) "Fugitive from justice" means any person who has fled from or is fleeing from any law enforcement officer to avoid prosecution or imprisonment for a crime of violence.​

An appeals court ruling:

November 02, 2011
Is a stun gun a dangerous weapon capable of inflicting deadly force? That is a question we have raised here on several occasions and suggested that they should be treated as deadly weapons.

Yesterday (11-1-11) the N. C. Court of Appeals, in a unanimous decision, agreed with our reasoning.

In the case of the State v. Riveria the court ruled that a stun gun (an X26 Taser) "is a dangerous weapon that endangered or threatened Scott's (victim) life." You can read the actual decision by clicking here.

Court of Appeals rules stun guns are deadly weapons
-------------------------------------

And a South Carolina Law:

SECTION 16-23-415. Taking firearm or other weapon from law enforcement officer.

An individual who takes a firearm, stun gun, or taser device from the person of a law enforcement officer or a corrections officer is guilty of a felony and, upon conviction, must be imprisoned for not more than five years, or fined not more than five thousand dollars, or both, if all of the following circumstances exist at the time the firearm is taken:

(1) the individual knows or has reason to believe the person from whom the weapon is taken is a law enforcement officer or a corrections officer;

(2) the law enforcement officer or corrections officer is performing his duties as a law enforcement officer or a corrections officer, or the individual's taking of the weapon is directly related to the law enforcement officer's or corrections officer's professional responsibilities;

(3) the individual takes the weapon without consent of the law enforcement officer or corrections officer;

(4) the law enforcement officer is authorized by his employer to carry the weapon in the line of duty; and

(5) the law enforcement officer or corrections officer is authorized by his employer to carry the weapon while off duty and has identified himself as a law enforcement officer.

HISTORY: 2006 Act No. 379, Section 3, eff June 9, 2006.​

These laws?

SUBCHAPTER IV. ARREST.

GS 15A-401

(2) A law-enforcement officer is justified in using deadly physical force upon another person for a purpose specified in subdivision (1) of this subsection only when it is or appears to be reasonably necessary thereby:

a. To defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the use or imminent use of deadly physical force;

b. To effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a person who he reasonably believes is attempting to escape by means of a deadly weapon, or who by his conduct or any other means indicates that he presents an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to others unless apprehended without delay; or

c. To prevent the escape of a person from custody imposed upon him as a result of conviction for a felony.

Yes, those laws.

Did you read them?

Specifically subsection b.

b. To effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a person who he reasonably believes is attempting to escape by means of a deadly weapon, or who by his conduct or any other means indicates that he presents an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to others unless apprehended without delay;

Sounds exactly like what I posted in post #4 of this thread.

"A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead...however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force."

—Justice Byron White, Tennessee v. Garner[3]

Fleeing felon rule - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

How is running away from a cop being a threat to anyone?

The man was stopped for a broken tail light. Not because he robbed a bank or was a serial killer.

A broken tail light isn't the same thing as being a threat to anyone.

I don't know how you come to your conclusions but please tell me this, if you're right then why did the cop lie on his report? Why did the cop plant evidence to frame that man?
He also had a warrant.

To effect an arrest or to prevent the escape from custody of a person who he reasonably believes is attempting to escape by means of a deadly weapon, or who by his conduct or any other means indicates that he presents an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to others unless apprehended without delay

Wasn't he unarmed? How does he present an imminent threat of death or serious physical injury to anyone? What was he going to do? Turn green and scream "HULK SMASH!?"

Fugitive from justice" means any person who has fled from or is fleeing from any law enforcement officer to avoid prosecution or imprisonment for a crime of violence.

Interesting. But how does this warrant deadly force?

Tennessee v Garner (1985) held that the police may not shoot at a fleeing person unless the officer reasonably believes that the individual poses a significant physical danger to the officer or others in the community.

The cop broke the law. He committed murder. The man was so far away from him that he presented no immediate threat.

I can't believe you're trying to justify this by the law!

Ahh, thank you for this.

From your article:

"I remember the police had control of the situation," Santana said during the interview (above). "You can hear the sound of a Taser... I believe [Scott] was just trying to get away from the Taser."

Now if this is true, the black man did not have the Taser, nor did he attempt to take the Taser. He was un.armed.

The author of this thread would be wise to drop this subject.

Ahh, thank you for this.

From your article:

"I remember the police had control of the situation," Santana said during the interview (above). "You can hear the sound of a Taser... I believe [Scott] was just trying to get away from the Taser."

Now if this is true, the black man did not have the Taser, nor did he attempt to take the Taser. He was un.armed.

Apparently there was some struggle before the shooting.

In video from the link witness said "they were down on the floor"...

A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead

Ahh, I like how you tried to twist this ruling.

I twisted nothing, watch the video. The officer only has to BELIEVE that Scott was in possession of his Taser. Watch the video. You can see Scott and the officer struggle over the Taser, then the Taser goes flying BEHIND the officer.

The Tazer wires are wrapped around the officers hand, and it appears that they have detached from the Tazer itself. The only place the wires seam to lead is to Scott.

So, the officer believes that the suspect is now armed with his Taser, and that it could be used against himself, or another officer. He has NO IDEA what this guy has done has done that he is running, how desperate he is to escape, or what he is willing to do to escape.

We get to play a video, rewind it, play it again, and have a panoramic view of the whole scene. We have a pile of facts at our disposal. The officer doesn't have that luxury. He must make a decision with the facts he has on the spot.

Let's speculate. What is Scott is a murderer (for all the officer knew, he was). What if Scott did have the Taser in his hand, the officer didn't shoot him, and Scott ran around the corner Tased a different officer and took his or her sidearm?

Could you make that decision in that span of time? I'm glad I don't have too, and I am willing to give those who do every benefit of every doubt, especially when they are put in that position by a criminal (fugitive from justice).

A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead

And, speaking of twisting, you should at least have the common courtesy to quote the relevant passage.

however...Where the officer has probable cause to believe that the suspect poses a threat of serious physical harm, either to the officer or to others, it is not constitutionally unreasonable to prevent escape by using deadly force."

—Justice Byron White, Tennessee v. Garner[3]

Watch the witness on the TV shows tomorrow morning.

I think you will find him quiet, articulate, sad for both families, and convincing.

Additionally the other officers knowing there is a video out there plus what else may exist without their knowledge probably will not defend Mr. Scott.

Last edited:
Watch the witness on the TV shows tomorrow morning.

I think you will find him quiet, articulate, sad for both families, and convincing.

That seems like a good post to end on. Let's see what the witness says, and I'll be interested to find out what the object was that the officer moved.

Good night all.

I twisted nothing, watch the video. The officer only has to BELIEVE that Scott was in possession of his Taser. Watch the video. You can see Scott and the officer struggle over the Taser, then the Taser goes flying BEHIND the officer.

The Tazer wires are wrapped around the officers hand, and it appears that they have detached from the Tazer itself. The only place the wires seam to lead is to Scott.

So, the officer believes that the suspect is now armed with his Taser, and that it could be used against himself, or another officer. He has NO IDEA what this guy has done has done that he is running, how desperate he is to escape, or what he is willing to do to escape.

We get to play a video, rewind it, play it again, and have a panoramic view of the whole scene. We have a pile of facts at our disposal. The officer doesn't have that luxury. He must make a decision with the facts he has on the spot.

Let's speculate. What is Scott is a murderer (for all the officer knew, he was). What if Scott did have the Taser in his hand, the officer didn't shoot him, and Scott ran around the corner Tased a different officer and took his or her sidearm?

Could you make that decision in that span of time? I'm glad I don't have too, and I am willing to give those who do every benefit of every doubt, especially when they are put in that position by a criminal (fugitive from justice).

we will have to see what the evidence produces

Ahh, thank you for this.

From your article:

Apparently there was some struggle before the shooting.

In video from the link witness said "they were down on the floor"...

But if the man running never gained control of the taser, he was in fact unarmed. No threat to the public. If the cop used the taser as Santana claims, it would be useless to Scott. There is no way to justify this. None.

The officer only has to BELIEVE that Scott was in possession of his Taser.

But he didn't. In Americano's article, Santana claims Slager had already deployed his taser. So what if he tried to take it? He failed.

I twisted nothing, watch the video.

At the 20 second mark, as Slager draws his firearm you can see something on the ground at his feet. Was that the taser? Might or might not have been.

At the 1:30 mark Slager drops what appears to be the taser next to Scott. This immediately could disprove the idea that Scott presented an imminent threat to the officer or that he had the taser in his possession. He didn't have the taser when he was shot. He was unarmed.

Moreover, in the Garner ruling the language is explicit:

"A police officer may not seize an unarmed, nondangerous suspect by shooting him dead..."

Scott was unarmed when he ran, making him a nondangerous suspect. This case is open and shut. Your interpretation of the law is flawed.

Last edited:
So, the officer believes that the suspect is now armed with his Taser, and that it could be used against himself, or another officer.

A claim the witness contradicts.

He has NO IDEA what this guy has done has done that he is running, how desperate he is to escape, or what he is willing to do to escape.

Slager first tells authorities that he used his taser in an attempt to subdue Scott. Then tells the dispatcher that Scott took his taser. That is a fatal contradiction.

But it appears he ran after he failed to gain possession of it. If he had gained possession of the stun gun and tried to use it on the officer, he had every right to shoot him. That video does not show anything in Scott's hands while he was running from the officer.

What if Scott did have the Taser in his hand, the officer didn't shoot him, and Scott ran around the corner Tased a different officer and took his or her sidearm?

What if Scott didn't have the taser? If you watch closely you can see what appears wires coming from Scott as he was trying to escape. That would clearly show he was not in possession of the stun gun. In law, speculation is not a defense.

The fact is, neither one of us are police officers and we can't even presume to know what went through his head at that moment. The suspect was fleeing. He didn't have the taser. It would either tell that me that Slager resorted to the least deadly way to apprehend Scott first, and when he fled he drew his firearm and killed Scott, or he never used his stun gun to apprehend Scott and simply shot an unarmed suspect.

Like so:

"Slager pursued Scott into a grassy lot and claimed that he fired his Taser to subdue him.

Moments later, Slager reported on his radio, “Shots fired and the subject is down. He took my Taser,” according to the Times."

Video Shows Officer Michael Slager Shooting Unarmed Black Man In The Back In South Carolina

Last edited:

Forum List

Back