Space X landed their booster successfully

Old Rocks

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2008
Portland, Ore.
Space X has taken another big step. Launched a satellite and then the booster returned and made a successful landing. Another step to the private exploration and exploitation of our solar system.

Good for them. It was a much harder job to accomplish than Bezos' booster return.

I am sort of lost here. While I think it is wonderful and unbelievable that they could return that thing upright, is there really that much money saved by being recycled. I mean the thing is under enormous heat and structural stress, they have to examine the whole thing for cracks. Why isn't it cheaper to mass produce the booster and standardize the parts, recycle the metal of the rocket. I know much better minds than mine have mulled,this over for decades, but why are they deciding to recycle? And why aren't lighter, much lighter, craft being designed instead of the battleship approach. Where the whole craft can leave and come back, maybe only one satellite at a time

I am sort of lost here. While I think it is wonderful and unbelievable that they could return that thing upright, is there really that much money saved by being recycled. I mean the thing is under enormous heat and structural stress, they have to examine the whole thing for cracks. Why isn't it cheaper to mass produce the booster and standardize the parts, recycle the metal of the rocket. I know much better minds than mine have mulled,this over for decades, but why are they deciding to recycle? And why aren't lighter, much lighter, craft being designed instead of the battleship approach. Where the whole craft can leave and come back, maybe only one satellite at a time

Yes, it reduces the cost by about 25%. Others will claim it is more but 25% is a good estimate.

Space junk?

That's a good point, we're developing quite a problem with space junk from all the years of jettisoning. I suppose luckily it's in a stable orbit and not crashing to earth or seriously endangering satellites, but on the other hand it's only a matter of time before there is so much stuff that it starts colliding and those things start happening...

Forum List

Back