Spanking Deemed Harmful by Pediatricians--Akin to Child Abuse

EvilEyeFleegle

Dogpatch USA
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 2, 2017
I imagine many here will come out in defense of spanking...claiming that they were spanked as kids, etc.--I would have to believe that they are a living testament to the veracity of this report!

Spanking Is Ineffective and Harmful to Children, Pediatricians’ Group Says

"A 2016 analysis of multiple studies, for example, found that children do not benefit from spanking.

“Certainly you can get a child’s attention, but it’s not an effective strategy to teach right from wrong,” Dr. Sege said.

Recent studies have also shown that corporal punishment is associated with increased aggression and makes it more likely that children will be defiant in the future. Spanking alone is associated with outcomes similar to those of children who experience physical abuse, the new academy statement says.

There are potential ramifications to the brain as well: A 2009 study of 23 young adults who had repeated exposure to harsh corporal punishment found reduced gray matter volume in an area of the prefrontal cortex that is believed to play a crucial role in social cognition. Those exposed to harsh punishment also had a lower performance I.Q. than that of a control group."

I never once spanked my boy and he's 23 now. What's the sense in it?

Kids are generally reflections of their parents in almost every case.

Last edited:
I imagine many here will come out in defense of spanking...claiming that they were spanked as kids, etc.--I would have to believe that they are a living testament to the veracity of this report!

"A 2016 analysis of multiple studies, for example, found that children do not benefit from spanking.

“Certainly you can get a child’s attention, but it’s not an effective strategy to teach right from wrong,” Dr. Sege said.

Recent studies have also shown that corporal punishment is associated with increased aggression and makes it more likely that children will be defiant in the future. Spanking alone is associated with outcomes similar to those of children who experience physical abuse, the new academy statement says.

There are potential ramifications to the brain as well: A 2009 study of 23 young adults who had repeated exposure to harsh corporal punishment found reduced gray matter volume in an area of the prefrontal cortex that is believed to play a crucial role in social cognition. Those exposed to harsh punishment also had a lower performance I.Q. than that of a control group."
Depends on frequency and severity of spanking. It should be last resort, like surgery, but may be effective too, if done occasionally.

Beating a child is harmful, yes.

Whomping a kid on the rear end to get his attention is not.

A leftist liberal Trump hating idiot no doubt that is such BS , look at the kids today their assholes with no respect for their parents.

They have no discipline and kids have been spanked all through time they do not suffer from any mental bs these liberal idiots dream up .

Meanwhile an article came out saying spanking doesn't cause mental damage........ which one is it bhahaha.

I never once spanked my boy and he's 23 now. What's the sense in it?

Kids are generally reflections of their parents in almost ever case.
No sense in it at all. Violence is the tool of the ignorant.

What a silly statement. All human civilization has a foundation in violence.

"When reason fails, force remains."

I would also love to hear how August would reason with a 2 year old after they tried to run out into the street.

A leftist liberal Trump hating idiot no doubt that is such BS , look at the kids today their assholes with no respect for their parents.

They have no discipline and kids have been spanked all through time they do not suffer from any mental bs these liberal idiots dream up .

Meanwhile an article came out saying spanking doesn't cause mental damage........ which one is it bhahaha.
It’s Republican kids that have babies out of wedlock like Sarah Palin or whose son was arrested for torturing a dog like Mike Huckabee. It’s these GOP children that grow up into tiki welding Nazis who have a sense of entitlement.

exactly what he said... "tool of the ignorant".... what an odd thing to watch, you disagreeing and then agreeing in the next breath....

So your grasp of human history is thin as well. No surprise.
So, it's doing well, thanks. It is quite easy for anyone who knows history to show the abject ignorance and irrationality that caused violence. Do you have a point you are trying to make? Take your time, I guess.

So far, your point appears to be that using violence on our children is inevitable, as history shows humans resort to violence. I gotta say, if that's your point... it is mind-numbingly idiotic.

That's a load of horse shit.

Hell I got more than one spanking when I was a kid and it sure wasn't child abuse.

I've seen loads of kids who could use a number 9 up their ass. It sure would do them a world of good.

Spoiled brats with no discipline abound in this country.

exactly what he said... "tool of the ignorant".... what an odd thing to watch, you disagreeing and then agreeing in the next breath....

So your grasp of human history is thin as well. No surprise.
So, it's doing well, thanks. It is quite easy for anyone who knows history to show the abject ignorance and irrationality that caused violence. Do you have a point you are trying to make? Take your time, I guess.

So far, your point appears to be that using violence on our children is inevitable, as history shows humans resort to violence. I gotta say, if that's your point... it is mind-numbingly idiotic.

You're just all kinds of idiot today. I suppose you feel a good scolding would have been adequate against say ... Nazi Germany?

I responded to a general statement. My comments have nothing to do with children.

I don't believe in spanking. But I do believe in teaching your child the right way to behave. If done right you won't need to resort to spanking.

Forum List

Back