Spanking Deemed Harmful by Pediatricians--Akin to Child Abuse

I never once spanked my boy and he's 23 now. What's the sense in it?

Kids are generally reflections of their parents in almost ever case.
No sense in it at all. Violence is the tool of the ignorant.

What a silly statement. All human civilization has a foundation in violence.

"When reason fails, force remains."

I would also love to hear how August would reason with a 2 year old after they tried to run out into the street.
Violence still isn’t the ‘solution.’

I managed to train every single dog I ever had without hitting them and a kid is no different than a dog

I imagine many here will come out in defense of spanking...claiming that they were spanked as kids, etc.--I would have to believe that they are a living testament to the veracity of this report!

Spanking Is Ineffective and Harmful to Children, Pediatricians’ Group Says

"A 2016 analysis of multiple studies, for example, found that children do not benefit from spanking.

“Certainly you can get a child’s attention, but it’s not an effective strategy to teach right from wrong,” Dr. Sege said.

Recent studies have also shown that corporal punishment is associated with increased aggression and makes it more likely that children will be defiant in the future. Spanking alone is associated with outcomes similar to those of children who experience physical abuse, the new academy statement says.

There are potential ramifications to the brain as well: A 2009 study of 23 young adults who had repeated exposure to harsh corporal punishment found reduced gray matter volume in an area of the prefrontal cortex that is believed to play a crucial role in social cognition. Those exposed to harsh punishment also had a lower performance I.Q. than that of a control group."

You made a statement about spanking, and then cite a study that focuses not on spanking, but on "repeated exposure to harsh corporal punishment "

"Spanking" is a behavior, that is not defined as that. I have spanked my child. I did it ONCE. I was spanked ONCE, as a child.

I sure there is a large population of children that have been spanked once or twice, maybe even three times.

Indeed, it very well may be that that population is the NORM among children that have been spanked.

Perhaps, it is children with increased aggression, and low iq that require more spanking to reach minimal acceptable behavior.

I would also love to hear how August would reason with a 2 year old after they tried to run out into the street.
Violence still isn’t the ‘solution.’

that doesn't answer the question.

Try again.

Especially if you were also carrying several heavy bags and really needed the child to be holding on to your hand.

Especially if you were also carrying several heavy bags and really needed the child to be holding on to your hand.

Like I said kids are no different than dogs

images

I imagine many here will come out in defense of spanking...claiming that they were spanked as kids, etc.--I would have to believe that they are a living testament to the veracity of this report!

Spanking Is Ineffective and Harmful to Children, Pediatricians’ Group Says

"A 2016 analysis of multiple studies, for example, found that children do not benefit from spanking.

“Certainly you can get a child’s attention, but it’s not an effective strategy to teach right from wrong,” Dr. Sege said.

Recent studies have also shown that corporal punishment is associated with increased aggression and makes it more likely that children will be defiant in the future. Spanking alone is associated with outcomes similar to those of children who experience physical abuse, the new academy statement says.

There are potential ramifications to the brain as well: A 2009 study of 23 young adults who had repeated exposure to harsh corporal punishment found reduced gray matter volume in an area of the prefrontal cortex that is believed to play a crucial role in social cognition. Those exposed to harsh punishment also had a lower performance I.Q. than that of a control group."

A leftist liberal Trump hating idiot no doubt that is such BS , look at the kids today their assholes with no respect for their parents.

They have no discipline and kids have been spanked all through time they do not suffer from any mental bs these liberal idiots dream up .

Meanwhile an article came out saying spanking doesn't cause mental damage........ which one is it bhahaha.
It’s Republican kids that have babies out of wedlock like Sarah Palin or whose son was arrested for torturing a dog like Mike Huckabee. It’s these GOP children that grow up into tiki welding Nazis who have a sense of entitlement.
Thank you for reminding us of the Progressive heart and soul

images

We used a choke collar on my dog......

If not too harsh, after trying verbal language, i’d rather slap a young kid on their butt instead of slapping a dog.

images

I used to use them now I use a head halter. We had a dog with a collapsing trachea and a choke collar was out of the question as it would injure her

images

I used to use them now I use a head halter. We had a dog with a collapsing trachea and a choke collar was out of the question as it would injure her

Never had that issue with Shadow, and he wore it until we put him down at the ripe old age of 21.

I do agree that it isn't for all dogs, only really headstrong ones with thick necks.

I suppose you feel a good scolding would have been adequate against say ... Nazi Germany?
And THAT is your comparison to parenting? Damn you are stupid. I mean, really, really stupid. There is no sugar coating it this time... you, sir, are a moron.

images

Never had that issue with Shadow, and he wore it until we put him down at the ripe old age of 21.

I do agree that it isn't for all dogs, only really headstrong ones with thick necks.
Nah, you can acheive the same results with positive reinforcement.

images

Nah, you can acheive the same results with positive reinforcement.

Blanket generalization is general.

I suppose you feel a good scolding would have been adequate against say ... Nazi Germany?
And THAT is your comparison to parenting? Damn you are stupid. I mean, really, really stupid. There is no sugar coating it this time... you, sir, are a moron.

Maybe you missed this part of his post: “I responded to a general statement. My comments have nothing to do with children.”

Not sure if you’re dishonest or just not a good reader.

I just threaten to take away the allotted tech-time. Frankly, spanking would be less effective.

Forum List

Back