🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Starbucks Red Holiday Cup Controversy Brews

Starbucks is a private company and can fuck their customers over all they want. The market will respond accordingly
Boy, Starbucks really fucked over their customers by redesigning their holiday cup. How dare they? The drop off in business from the rabid right, Christian fundies in the Bible belt will surely sink them

Right-wingers = perpetual victims

While I am not a religious man, I have understood the complaints of some conservatives over the past few years of department stores and other business bending over to political correctness by saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. After all, it is the Christmas season that gives all of these retailers their end of year push so the way I look at it, don't bite the hand that feeds you. However, this year's "War on Christmas" has reached a new level of insanity.

The sight of red cups being handed out at Starbucks usually signifies the “most wonderful time of the year” is underway, but this year’s holiday season at Starbucks is already being marred by a red cup controversy.

While red cups of Starbucks past have featured holiday symbols like reindeer and ornaments, this year’s cup is plain.

When the cup was unveiled earlier this month, the coffee chain described it as having a, “two-toned ombré design, with a bright poppy color on top that shades into a darker cranberry below.”

“Starbucks has become a place of sanctuary during the holidays,” Jeffrey Fields, Starbucks vice president of design and content, said in a news release announcing the cup. “We’re embracing the simplicity and the quietness of it. It’s a more open way to usher in the holiday.”

Ever since the 2015 cup was released in U.S. and Canada stores Nov. 1, Starbucks customers have taken to the Internet to say they do not like the cup's “purity of design,” as Fields called it.

Joshua Feuerstein, who identifies himself as an “American evangelist, Internet and social media personality” on his website, posted a video on Facebook about the Starbucks cup that has been shared nearly 500,000 times.

In the video, the Arizona-based Feuerstein says he told baristas in a Starbucks that his name was Merry Christmas so they would write Merry Christmas on the red cup.

“I think in the age of political correctness we’ve become so open minded our brains have literally fallen out of our head,” Feuerstein says in the video. “I decided instead of simply boycotting, well why don’t we just start a movement.”

Joshua Feuerstein is the Christian extremists' version of Alex Jones. I would hope that most conservative Christians aren't buying into his nonsense. What do snowflakes and reindeer have to do with the birth of the Christ child anyway? I think sometimes westerners, particularly Americans, forget that Christmas is celebrated all over different parts of the world, many places where it's summer time in December. No snow, folks. It's got dick to do with the holiday. Their new cup design, however, is certainly indicative of the holiday. If you can't deal with that, well, don't go to Starbucks then.

As an agnostic I don't have a problem in general with people having their religious beliefs, but when Christians start whining about how atheists, agnostics, and others have a problem with them, well, look no further than asshats like Feuerstein to understand why.
A bunch of BS from people who don't want to confront real evil in the world. As a Christian I will smack down any Christian on the issue. Starbucks is run by atheists and the CEO has openly supported abortion. Any idiot whining about red cups needs to reconcile that first.
Now we know what the red cup symbolizes.

While I am not a religious man, I have understood the complaints of some conservatives over the past few years of department stores and other business bending over to political correctness by saying Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. After all, it is the Christmas season that gives all of these retailers their end of year push so the way I look at it, don't bite the hand that feeds you. However, this year's "War on Christmas" has reached a new level of insanity.

The sight of red cups being handed out at Starbucks usually signifies the “most wonderful time of the year” is underway, but this year’s holiday season at Starbucks is already being marred by a red cup controversy.

While red cups of Starbucks past have featured holiday symbols like reindeer and ornaments, this year’s cup is plain.

When the cup was unveiled earlier this month, the coffee chain described it as having a, “two-toned ombré design, with a bright poppy color on top that shades into a darker cranberry below.”

“Starbucks has become a place of sanctuary during the holidays,” Jeffrey Fields, Starbucks vice president of design and content, said in a news release announcing the cup. “We’re embracing the simplicity and the quietness of it. It’s a more open way to usher in the holiday.”

Ever since the 2015 cup was released in U.S. and Canada stores Nov. 1, Starbucks customers have taken to the Internet to say they do not like the cup's “purity of design,” as Fields called it.

Joshua Feuerstein, who identifies himself as an “American evangelist, Internet and social media personality” on his website, posted a video on Facebook about the Starbucks cup that has been shared nearly 500,000 times.

In the video, the Arizona-based Feuerstein says he told baristas in a Starbucks that his name was Merry Christmas so they would write Merry Christmas on the red cup.

“I think in the age of political correctness we’ve become so open minded our brains have literally fallen out of our head,” Feuerstein says in the video. “I decided instead of simply boycotting, well why don’t we just start a movement.”

Joshua Feuerstein is the Christian extremists' version of Alex Jones. I would hope that most conservative Christians aren't buying into his nonsense. What do snowflakes and reindeer have to do with the birth of the Christ child anyway? I think sometimes westerners, particularly Americans, forget that Christmas is celebrated all over different parts of the world, many places where it's summer time in December. No snow, folks. It's got dick to do with the holiday. Their new cup design, however, is certainly indicative of the holiday. If you can't deal with that, well, don't go to Starbucks then.

As an agnostic I don't have a problem in general with people having their religious beliefs, but when Christians start whining about how atheists, agnostics, and others have a problem with them, well, look no further than asshats like Feuerstein to understand why.
A bunch of BS from people who don't want to confront real evil in the world. As a Christian I will smack down any Christian on the issue. Starbucks is run by atheists and the CEO has openly supported abortion. Any idiot whining about red cups needs to reconcile that first.
Yeah, a crappy cup of burnt tasting coffee.

Yeah, a crappy cup of burnt tasting coffee.
Overpriced and served in a cup that looks like blood. Yummy. Not.

ZiiJvvY.jpg

That's exactly my point. They char their beans, that's why there's so much oil. People think burnt beans are gormet.
It's called a dark roast. You are able to get a lighter roast if you wish.
Not me, their beans suck. But if you order a latte, capacino, etc. you get the charred stuff by default. It masks the fact that the beans are low grade.

Because lattes, cappuccinos and espresso are traditional Italian drinks. Italian coffee is dark roasted. Try reading the menu.
I roast my own beans, asshole. Dark doesn't have to mean charred.
It isn't charred. The reason the flavor is intense is because of the bean selection, the roasting process, and sealing the flavor in. Arabica coffees use a much more detailed process and the end product is worth paying for.
Like I said, I roast mine at home and we've discussing this endlessly on a coffee snob forum. Starbucks beans are low grade and they mask the pitiful flavor by over roasting (charring) the beans. Americans don't know the difference for the most part.

Starbucks when they first started out were pretty good, but when they started to become a large corporation they kinda lost out on some of the care they originally took with the beans.

Now? I still like them once in a while, just not all of the time.

And, I think that this whole "scandal" is totally insane. Much offense over nothing.

I wish I could give people some thicker skin for Christmas. Too many crybabies searching to be offended.

Laughable, considering Muslims will kill over a mere comment or drawing and still don't receive the same criticism from the left that someone merely voicing their opinion does.

Back to Starbucks, in 2007 they put messages on their cups that many said were anti-God. One message asked why they would pray to God, who might just be a figment of their imagination, and another message saying Heaven was overrated. A few years ago, they had employees write messages on the cups to try and get people talking about controversial issues. They stopped that quick after people rejected it.

Starbucks has often used the cups to convey their views and they seemed designed to offend Christians. Had they put messages on cups asking Muslims why they pray to Allah, who is just a figment of their imagination, Starbucks would have been the scene of a bloody massacre.

In the past, Starbucks went out of it's way to offend Christians and succeeded, but at least the Christians didn't get violent like certain others who find offensive comments as crimes punishable by death. Instead, the Christians choose to boycott Starbucks. Much more peaceful, don't you think?

Clementine, I have seen none of that at the Starbucks I have bought coffee at. So, a link to demonstrate this was a company policy, rather than that of one franchise.

I wish I could give people some thicker skin for Christmas. Too many crybabies searching to be offended.

Laughable, considering Muslims will kill over a mere comment or drawing and still don't receive the same criticism from the left that someone merely voicing their opinion does.

Back to Starbucks, in 2007 they put messages on their cups that many said were anti-God. One message asked why they would pray to God, who might just be a figment of their imagination, and another message saying Heaven was overrated. A few years ago, they had employees write messages on the cups to try and get people talking about controversial issues. They stopped that quick after people rejected it.

Starbucks has often used the cups to convey their views and they seemed designed to offend Christians. Had they put messages on cups asking Muslims why they pray to Allah, who is just a figment of their imagination, Starbucks would have been the scene of a bloody massacre.

In the past, Starbucks went out of it's way to offend Christians and succeeded, but at least the Christians didn't get violent like certain others who find offensive comments as crimes punishable by death. Instead, the Christians choose to boycott Starbucks. Much more peaceful, don't you think?

Yes, radical Islam is idiotically insane but that has nothing to do with my post. They clearly need some thicker skin as does anyone that gets all weepy over a throwaway coffee cup. lol

Yes, radical Islam is idiotically insane but that has nothing to do with my post. They clearly need some thicker skin as does anyone that gets all weepy over a throwaway coffee cup. lol
Who's getting weepy? Exaggerate much?

It was a national campaign, supposedly designed to encourage discussion and Starbucks said the opinions expressed on the cups were not theirs, rather customers who submitted them. Some were arguably anti-Christian. Of course, Starbucks went back to the holiday decor, some of which were tree decorations (clearly representing Christmas trees).

Starbucks has also openly supported gay marriage, which I agree with. I think it did upset many and I think it's more than a coincidence that the same year gay marriage became legal, Starbucks decided to forgo the holiday décor on their cups. I think they are sending a message to the Christians that opposed them on their gay marriage stance. Sometimes, no message speaks louder than actual words.

starbucks230b.jpg
Clementine, I have seen none of that at the Starbucks I have bought coffee at. So, a link to demonstrate this was a company policy, rather than that of one franchise.

"Coffeehouse giant Starbucks is standing by its campaign to put thought-provoking messages on its coffee cups despite a national uproar and threat of boycott over a message some felt was "anti-God."

Controversy erupted this week after a customer became steamed reading a quote that stated:

"Why in moments of crisis do we ask God for strength and help? As cognitive beings, why would we ask something that may well be a figment of our imaginations for guidance? Why not search inside ourselves for the power to overcome? After all, we are strong enough to cause most of the catastrophes we need to endure."

The quote was written by Bill Schell, a Starbucks customer from London, Ontario, Canada, and was included as part of Starbucks’ "The Way I See It" campaign to collect different viewpoints and spur discussion.

One reader, Ken Peck of Lakeland, Fla., has since purchased a coffee with another message he felt was a slam against his Christian faith, and snapped a photograph of it. Ken Peck of Lakeland, Fla., was not thrilled when he purchased this Starbucks cup with a message he felt was anti-Christian

The message reads:

Heaven is totally overrated. It seems boring. Clouds, listening to people play the harp. It should be somewhere you can’t wait to go, like a luxury hotel. Maybe blue skies and soft music were enough to keep people in line in the 17th century, but Heaven has to step it up a bit. They’re basically getting by because they only have to be better than Hell. — Joel Stein, columnist for the Los Angeles Times."

https://politicsandreligion.wordpress.com/2007/05/16/starbucks-sticking-by-anti-god-coffee-cups/

"The paper says Incanno wasn’t satisfied with a company disclaimer saying the quote is the author’s opinion, not necessarily that of Starbucks, which invites customers to respond on its website.

Starbucks spokeswoman Sanja Gould said the collection of thoughts and opinions is a "way to promote open, respectful conversation among a wide variety of individuals. ""

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2007/05/41470/#tqy2bci00U6GWlS4.99

Last edited:

Who's getting weepy? Exaggerate much?

I am exaggerating far less than the poster I am quoting.

I am exaggerating far less than as the poster I am quoting.

You have missed the entire point and you aren't smart enough to debate. I think there is a message being sent with the blank cups this year and if you read my last post, you might be able to grasp it. There have been issues between Starbucks and Christians for quite a few years now and it continues.

You have missed the entire point and you aren't smart enough to debate. I think there is a message being sent with the blank cups this year and if you read my last post, you might be able to grasp it. There have been issues between Starbucks and Christians for quite a few years now and it continues.

Can you tell us the Parable of Baby Jesus and the Snowflakes? None of the other Christians here seem able to.

:lol:

You shoehorning radical Islam had nothing to do with the debate and was nothing more than a cheap deflection.

Can you tell us the Parable of Baby Jesus and the Snowflakes? None of the other Christians here seem able to.

Read post #213 and then try to have an intelligent debate. Traditionally, Christmas cards and holiday decorations consist of snow flakes, snowmen, trees and ornaments. Look at any of the Christmas decorations you buy in stores, along with the designs on wrapping paper and you will see all of the decorations Starbucks used to put on their cups. Other religions haven't used any of those in their decorations. Starbucks did have old fashioned tree ornaments on their cups, which are decidedly Christmas tree ornaments. There is a great deal of tension between Christians and Starbucks. Starbucks has also traditionally used their cups to convey messages throughout the year. As I said above, the lack of a message this year speaks louder than words.

Forum List

Back