🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Started jogging last year

Dot Com

Nullius in verba
Feb 15, 2011
Fairfax, NoVA
For a few reasons. Increase my cardio/stamina, build-up my leg muscles, get fresh air, etc... I sometimes run into female runners as well.

971afd39cbfa3a97adabaa39a73bd577.gif

PLUS!!!:​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjTg7F59WfE]american beauty "I want to look good naked" - YouTube[/ame]

seriously though I'm up to 12-16 miles/week.

Tha'ts a habit you should keep for the rest of your life.

I swim a mile daily, and the snow is melted and the temp over 45, I walk in the party as well.

We are thinking about getting a Planet Fitness pass to do light weight training several times a week.

bike riding is what got me in shape. Now I supplenment with running/ellipical/etc.... But I still love to pack up my bike with gear and a tent and trek off into 'parts unknown' for random adventures.

I swim a mile daily, and the snow is melted and the temp over 45, I walk in the party as well.

We are thinking about getting a Planet Fitness pass to do light weight training several times a week.

I just started doing sit-ups- 30 every other day to tone-up the abs. Jogging wasn't addressing that. Staggering those w/ the jogging alternately.

bike riding is what got me in shape. Now I supplenment with running/ellipical/etc.... But I still love to pack up my bike with gear and a tent and trek off into 'parts unknown' for random adventures.

people do that w/ mtn bikes here in-season: The C&O Canal Bicycling Guide - Welcome!

I've been itching to do the C&O. I've done a nice Philly to Cape May trip and back with friends....

its flat as a tabletop and goes on & on from Washington, D.C. all the way to Cumberland, Maryland. Trees everywhere. Crosses the Potomac at Harpers Ferry.

I've taken the train from Philly to Atlantic City

Last edited:
Imagine, if you will, that you have a ten-year-old son, and he comes home from school one day and tells you he is starting on a new exercise program that will make his arms as strong and healthy as possible.

"Good," you say. "Tell me about it."

He tells you he is going to take a 5 pound dumbell and build himself up until he can do a thousand repetitions of a bicep curl with each arm.

If you are sane, you will discourage your son from doing this. It will never make him "strong," and it will likely damage some of the parts and pieces of his arms and elbows. (Ignoring the fact that kids shouldn't be lifting weights at that age) you tell him it would be better to build up his strength with higher weights, such that he can only do 3-5 repetitions before failure.

And what is "jogging" if not repeating the same minimally-exertive exercise (jogging one step) a million times? It doesn't make you any stronger or more "fit." All it does is make you more able to jog, which is pointless.

It does burn some calories, but the fact is, it inhibits muscle development in other areas of the body (while doing nothing for your legs either). Look at the first 100 finishers in any local 10K race, and about the best you can say for them is that they are all skinny. None of them has any upper body muscle development. This is not a coincidence. Distance running inhibits muscle growth.

Jogging is not even particularly good for your heart. You elevate your heart rate to the "aerobic range" and keep it there for thirty minutes. So what? Your heart adapts to where it can do that easily. So what? The only time jogging has any significant benefit is when you are "jogging" in an area where there are a lot of hills, and your heart is forced to elevate to the changing levels of exertion. Jogging on level terrain is borderline worthless. Better than having a Big Mac, but not much. It is the leg equivalent of doing a thousand bicep curls with 5 pound dumbells.

For a given investment of time, you would be much better off do to ten or fifteen minutes of interval training, then lift weights or do calisthenics for fifteen minutes, and finish with a good, full-body stretching routine. Run for fun, but no more often than once a week.

I personally do most of my interval training on a stationary bike, but it can also be done in the form of running/walking. It is best when the level of exertion progresses with each interval until the last one, which is a maximum effort (heart rate 220 minus age times .8). Six intervals is plenty, and can be done in 10-12 minutes, leaving you more exhausted than a half-hour run. I know from experience.

I was a runner for 35 years, and I still enjoy it, but as pure exercise it is horribly over-rated. It will inevitably injure your knees, hips, and/or your feet. For most of the time invested in health and fitness you should be doing something other than "jogging."

I moved on from biking. Been there done that. Can't swim year round so... As far as running being bad for you:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWdd6_ZxX8c]Yeah, well, that's just, like, your opinion, man. - YouTube[/ame]

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/09/25/why-runners-dont-get-knee-arthritis/
One of the most entrenched beliefs about running, at least among nonrunners, is that it causes arthritis and ruins knees. But a nifty new study finds that this idea is a myth and distance running is unlikely to contribute to the development of arthritis, precisely and paradoxically because it involves so much running.

Last edited:

I used to go to the gym 4 or 5 days a week for 2 hour sessions. Then I got rid of my gardener, started swimming and quit the gym.

Perversity of swimming: The better swimmer you are, the worse it is as exercise.

I've seen fat fuckers who couldn't walk 50 feet without losing their breath, glide across the pool endlessly, with very little effort...

...while I was in the next lane, burning a hundred calories a minute, just trying to reach the other end of the pool without drowning.

My favorite exercise of all, is bench pressing. I was doing it every day for years, pressing 78 lbs., then I moved to a smaller place and needed to sell my bench press. Miss doing it terribly but still use my 5 lb. weights and walk 30 minutes a day, fast, very fast, for aerobic workout. :D

I feel so good when I walk back into my home, refreshed and ready to get ready for work. :thup:

Perversity of swimming: The better swimmer you are, the worse it is as exercise.

I've seen fat fuckers who couldn't walk 50 feet without losing their breath, glide across the pool endlessly, with very little effort...

...while I was in the next lane, burning a hundred calories a minute, just trying to reach the other end of the pool without drowning.

Swimming is one of the best ( if not the best ) exercises for the whole body. The only problems it can exacerbate, would be to the lower back, of someone with back problems, albeit one can change their swimming maneuvers to avoid that.

Swimming is one of the best ( if not the best ) exercises for the whole body. The only problems it can exacerbate, would be to the lower back, of someone with back problems, albeit one can change their swimming maneuvers to avoid that.

this is true. Second ony to "you know what" ;)

you sure do have some strong OPINIONS :eusa_eh: As AquaAthena pointed out, swimming is one of the best all over body work-outs there is. Second only to...

can you finish the sentence?

Swimming is simply superb.

I set a personal best yesterday for a mile, and I nearly sank like a stone at 1600 yards today: just dog paddled to the ladder and got out. Over extended, I guess.

Swimming is simply superb.

I set a personal best yesterday for a mile, and I nearly sank like a stone at 1600 yards today: just dog paddled to the ladder and got out. Over extended, I guess.

do you take any days-off from swimming? I only exercise every other day.

Forum List

Back