🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Started jogging last year

Personally, I don't waste time doing "light" weight training or Cardio.

I Lift heavy weights for low reps (typically 5 sets of 5 reps). I am in and out of the gym in under an hour.

I run, hike, and ride my bike, but not for "exercise"; I do it for fun.

Swimming is simply superb.

I set a personal best yesterday for a mile, and I nearly sank like a stone at 1600 yards today: just dog paddled to the ladder and got out. Over extended, I guess.

do you take any days-off from swimming? I only exercise every other day.

I swim M-F, then during this time of year we normally ski or snow shoe at one of my sons' cabins on weekends.

Zander, I agree that a person wants to have fun doing what s/he is doing physically for fitness.

I would be curious to see some research on the health benefits of swimming.

Like "jogging," it raises the heartrate a bit for as long as you are doing it (for what that's worth), but it can't possibly build strength.

And even if it is beneficial, how many people continue swimming long enough for it to affect their longevity? Approximately zero.

With my intervals and weight training, I can point to perfect BP and a resting heart rate of 44 at age 64. I could drop dead tomorrow, but my doctor thinks I'm in pretty good shape, particularly for an office worker at my age.

Swimmers?

I Lift heavy weights for low reps (typically 5 sets of 5 reps). I am in and out of the gym in under an hour.

I also enjoy long-distance backpacking when able. Thing that makes it different from leisure activities is pushing beyond the comfort level as far as muscles and intense breathing/cardio workout for 30+ mins. I usually jog for 55 mins. I think I'm going to have to break that barrier at least one day/week to improve my endurance. Do one "long run" a week w/ 2-3 average runs.

The basic point is this: If you are doing the same thing over and over at the same level of intensity for a long period of time, the benefits are minimal. You are not building strength or flexibility, and you are not making your heart any healthier.

If you want to make yourself stronger and more physically fit, the ONLY way to do it is through short duration, high intensity work, whether it is lifting weights, climbing hills, running intervals, riding a bike in hilly terrain, or something comparable.

Jogging, or biking, or walking on level terrain, or even swimming for long periods, day after day, may burn calories, but you will NEVER get any stronger from these activities or more flexible (once you reach the point of equilibrium after a a couple weeks), and they are not particularly good for your heart.

The guru of "Aerobics," Dr. Kenneth Cooper, long ago stopped recommending "jogging" as the way to achieve cardiovascular fitness, and he now recommends interval training above everything else.

In almost no professional sport do the trainers recommend distance running as a way to achieve or improve fitness. Whether you are talking about baseball, basketball, football, soccer, tennis, or even boxing, interval training is the universally-recognized method of achieving maximum fitness for the sport. (In the "old days" boxing trainers used to recommend "road work," but that is pretty much abandoned now).

As I may have said above, I was a jogger for 35 years and still enjoy an occasional run, but if maximum fitness is your goal - total body fitness, including strength, flexibility, and endurance - jogging is probably the least effective way of achieving it, and it MUST be supplemented by strength and flexibility training, and it should be seasoned with interval workouts at least once a week.

But it is better for you than watching TV.

Sorry for being opinionated, but my opinion is based on a lifetime (64 years) of working at fitness, trying dozens of different strategies and protocols, and observing hundreds of other people trying to accomplish the same things I have been. After 20 years of jogging, I had to admit to myself that I was no fitter than I was after the first 3 months; it's just a losing strategy, that's all.

I forgot about this advantage of running endurance as well, when THIS happens:

85Ho3.gif

I can run away and regroup to fight another day.

What will you do [MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION] ? 3 reps of 10 on the bench? :lol:

Last edited:

I also enjoy long-distance backpacking when able. Thing that makes it different from leisure activities is pushing beyond the comfort level as far as muscles and intense breathing/cardio workout for 30+ mins. I usually jog for 55 mins. I think I'm going to have to break that barrier at least one day/week to improve my endurance. Do one "long run" a week w/ 2-3 average runs.

Wanna know the single best exercise in the world?? I mean the one that will make you the strongest, fastest, and healthiest person you can be???

It's the one you ENJOY and will continue to do.

If you are enjoying running, by all means continue! :thup:

Myself I've run 2 marathons, 5 or 6 halfs, and countless 10's and 5K's. . I never got much stronger or leaner when running for exercise, but I sure as hell felt great!! It was cheap too- just buy a pair of shoes and go!! Or better yet, run barefoot! Have you tired that yet?

That being said- I am getting far more benefit from strength training than cardio. I don't do chronic cardio where I am trying for PR's and measuring performance....:thup:

Last edited:

85Ho3.gif

What will you do [MENTION=20854]Zander[/MENTION] ? 3 reps of 10 on the bench? :lol:

Ahem....it would be 5 sets of 5 reps....:D

85Ho3.gif

Ahem....it would be 5 sets of 5 reps....:D

:D

Good for you for working on weights.

I can just barely keep up w/ jogging & sit-ups on alternating days because of my affinity for procrastination.

Jogging is not even particularly good for your heart. You elevate your heart rate to the "aerobic range" and keep it there for thirty minutes.

Here's a wild concept. Choose to RUN FASTER, and thus work your heart harder. It can even be done without hills. There's no rule saying you have to slowly trot about.

And 30 minutes? That's just a warmup.

Just my personal opinion, you get the best of both worlds doing "pyramids". You won't be out of the gym in under an hour though, maybe 90 minutes......

Biking is still my fav. Combination of cardio, meditation and escapist entertainment.

Jogging is not even particularly good for your heart. You elevate your heart rate to the "aerobic range" and keep it there for thirty minutes.

Here's a wild concept. Choose to RUN FASTER, and thus work your heart harder. It can even be done without hills. There's no rule saying you have to slowly trot about.

And 30 minutes? That's just a warmup.

I generally run for 50 mins at a moderate rate but enough to keep my heart rate breathing up. I decided to start running different grades and distances too.

About how long does it take to build up about 10 lbs of muscle? What methods are preferred for legs and arms?
[MENTION=7538]LordBrownTrout[/MENTION]

Compound exercises will pack on muscle quickly. Here are the 3 essential exercises that you should build your program around.

Barbell Squats - full body exercise -the best overall exercise IMHO
Deadlift - Works the entire posterior chain
Bench Press - chest back and arms

Here's a link to a program that has helped a lot of beginners get strong- StrongLifts: Gain Muscle And Strength While Losing Fat StrongLifts

:thup:

Last edited:
Dear Mamooth:

I believe that alternative speeds is called, "fartlek" running, and it is a good substitute for running hills or interval training.

My point is that "jogging" mile after mile at the same speed over level terrain has minimal health benefits. And in my experience, this is what most people are talking about when they say they are taking up "running."

It is the variations in stress and effort that build strength and fitness. And running does not build strength or flexibility, so if you think that by taking up "jogging" you will get yourself into tip-top condition, you are deluding yourself.

Dear Mamooth:

I believe that alternative speeds is called, "fartlek" running, and it is a good substitute for running hills or interval training.

My point is that "jogging" mile after mile at the same speed over level terrain has minimal health benefits. And in my experience, this is what most people are talking about when they say they are taking up "running."

It is the variations in stress and effort that build strength and fitness. And running does not build strength or flexibility, so if you think that by taking up "jogging" you will get yourself into tip-top condition, you are deluding yourself.

I agree that "chronic cardio" for long periods of time at the same exertion level is not an ideal exercise regimen. Adding fartlek, sprints, or hills to the mix can increase the benefits. But you really need to add some form of strength training and flexibility to have an effective program.

That being said, the best reason for doing any form of cardio is because it elevates your mood and makes you feel good. At least, it does for me!

:thup:

I don't think we are disagreeing about anything.

I find it a little disturbing when people take up "jogging" and delude themselves into thinking that this alone will get them into good shape. For a given investment of time, a much better regimen could be devised, though it might not be as relaxing.

Forum List

Back