🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

States With Higher Minimum Wage Gain More Jobs

Also from the article,

Economists who support a higher minimum say the figures are encouraging, though they acknowledge they don't establish a cause and effect. There are many possible reasons hiring might accelerate in a particular state.
Lol but what it ultimately proves is that raising the wage doesn't kill jobs.

When will you cons sack up and admit raising the wage is a good thing? No one is suggesting we raise it to $30 an hour. 7.25 is just immoral and oppressive.
It doesn't remotely prove that.

Also from the article,

Economists who support a higher minimum say the figures are encouraging, though they acknowledge they don't establish a cause and effect. There are many possible reasons hiring might accelerate in a particular state.

When will you cons sack up and admit raising the wage is a good thing? No one is suggesting we raise it to $30 an hour. 7.25 is just immoral and oppressive.
First it doesn't prove that as the part I cited clearly states second I'm not against raising the minimum wage just doubling to 15 a hour.
Come on dude. Think about this. There was job growth. If raising the miminum wage was harmful, there would at least be no change to the economy. Instead, there was job growth. Even if other factors are at play, there would be a negative effect somehow. Without identifing those possible factors, it's safe to assume there is no harmful effect.
Absolutely not safe to assume. Strong enough positive factors could easily mask the negative impact of the small increases that were made in these states.

When will you cons sack up and admit raising the wage is a good thing?
No one is suggesting we raise it to $30 an hour. 7.25 is just immoral and oppressive.

Probably when you admit that praying is a more effective cancer treatment than radiation therapy. Should I hold my breath? You're the equivalent of a Christian true-believer who is ignorant on the specific of cancer but who got lucky with a spontaneous remission in his cancer.

This-----this, I agree with you about. It is a simple question, in fact, so simple, I'm surprised you didn't already know but-----but do you know that (using the Walmart, Target et al business model) raising the minimum wage to $10.10/hour would only raise your Walmart tab (don't be embarrassed to admit it, you're posts already identify you as a Walmart type shopper) 1 for every $16 spent?

And-----and raising the minimum wage to $10.10/hour saves a $4.6 billion/year in the SNAP program alone, not to mention the saving in other safety net programs. IOW's it's like the old Fram commercial "pay me now or pay me later" - see what I'm saying... Republicans are pushing social welfare by opposing a minimum wage of at least-----AT LEAST $10.10/hour but-----but this quote by Laura Clawson is apropos "...Naturally, Republicans are more opposed to requiring businesses to pay wages that keep working people off of food stamps than they are in favor of reducing the expenditures. Because their crusade is much less about saving the government money than it is about redistributing money upward to the already rich."

BTW - that $10.10/hour number didn't magically appear out of nowhere - the $10.10/hour minimum wage formula is the intersection where, the savings in social programs and employer wages achieve balance but-----but $10.10/hour obviously isn't enough in the populated parts of the country.
How much would it increase your tab at a mom and pop shop down the street from Wal-Mart?

This-----this, I agree with you about. It is a simple question, in fact, so simple, I'm surprised you didn't already know but-----but do you know that (using the Walmart, Target et al business model) raising the minimum wage to $10.10/hour would only raise your Walmart tab (don't be embarrassed to admit it, you're posts already identify you as a Walmart type shopper) 1 for every $16 spent?

And-----and raising the minimum wage to $10.10/hour saves a $4.6 billion/year in the SNAP program alone, not to mention the saving in other safety net programs. IOW's it's like the old Fram commercial "pay me now or pay me later" - see what I'm saying... Republicans are pushing social welfare by opposing a minimum wage of at least-----AT LEAST $10.10/hour but-----but this quote by Laura Clawson is apropos "...Naturally, Republicans are more opposed to requiring businesses to pay wages that keep working people off of food stamps than they are in favor of reducing the expenditures. Because their crusade is much less about saving the government money than it is about redistributing money upward to the already rich."

BTW - that $10.10/hour number didn't magically appear out of nowhere - the $10.10/hour minimum wage formula is the intersection where, the savings in social programs and employer wages achieve balance but-----but $10.10/hour obviously isn't enough in the populated parts of the country.
How much would it increase your tab at a mom and pop shop down the street from Wal-Mart?
Walmart wants 10.10 an hour because they can support that long enough to raise prices to make up for it and run out any start up stores.

The left hates Walmart but then makes rules assuring that is the only company that can survive their stupid rules.

Also from the article,

First it doesn't prove that as the part I cited clearly states second I'm not against raising the minimum wage just doubling to 15 a hour.
Come on dude. Think about this. There was job growth. If raising the miminum wage was harmful, there would at least be no change to the economy. Instead, there was job growth. Even if other factors are at play, there would be a negative effect somehow. Without identifing those possible factors, it's safe to assume there is no harmful effect.
Absolutely not safe to assume. Strong enough positive factors could easily mask the negative impact of the small increases that were made in these states.
Well without identifying them, you are just noise.

Next.

No one is suggesting we raise it to $30 an hour. 7.25 is just immoral and oppressive.

Probably when you admit that praying is a more effective cancer treatment than radiation therapy. Should I hold my breath? You're the equivalent of a Christian true-believer who is ignorant on the specific of cancer but who got lucky with a spontaneous remission in his cancer.
Huh?

Also from the article,

Next.
The point is that seeing a small increase in minimum wage and also seeing an increase in jobs does NOT prove that raising the minimum wage will never hurt job growth unless you know all the other factors involved. Since the story names almost no other factors, it is not safe at all to make any assumptions about what is proven or disproven.

Being ignorant about the other factors does not make it safer to assume. It makes it more uncertain.

Next.
The point is that seeing a small increase in minimum wage and also seeing an increase in jobs does NOT prove that raising the minimum wage will never hurt job growth unless you know all the other factors involved. Since the story names almost no other factors, it is not safe at all to make any assumptions about what is proven or disproven.
I think you just don't want to admit that the republican ideology has been bullshit all along. Face it. If raising the wage was harmful to the economy those states (plural) would be feeling like Kansas does right now which is another example of republican bullshit.

I feel sorry for you really.

Next.
I think you just don't want to admit that the republican ideology has been bullshit all along. Face it. If raising the wage was harmful to the economy those states (plural) would be feeling like Kansas does right now which is another example of republican bullshit.

Logic and reason just don't even register with you do they?

The two increases they actually quoted in the article were 14 cents and 10 cents. These were very small increases, and any negative affect from them will be proportionally small. They would easily be masked by other factors. Assuming that there ARE other factors IS a safe assumption because the economy is a massively complex system. Pretending like there are no other factors involved just makes you look laughable.

Next.

The two increases they actually quoted in the article were 14 cents and 10 cents. These were very small increases, and any negative affect from them will be proportionally small. They would easily be masked by other factors. Assuming that there ARE other factors IS a safe assumption because the economy is a massively complex system. Pretending like there are no other factors involved just makes you look laughable.
I'm sure other factors contributed to the job growth, but the fact that raising those wages still resulted in growth is what matters.

Tell me, now that we know cutting for the taxes for the wealthy does very little to stimulate growth, what policies do work? What, to you, creates economic growth?

Huh?

Believing that raising the minimum wage doesn't kill jobs is like believing that prayer cures cancer better than radiation therapy. Both beliefs are divorced from reality.

Higher taxes and high pay create millions of government jobs. The U.S. government creates more jobs within government than any other thing on earth. The Politicians actually believe when they pass all these "bills", that endlessly enlarge the government, they actually believe they are creating jobs that contribute to our economy as well as our overall well-being. Hence they believe if they write a Bill and pass a Law for the private sector, it will work just like in the bloated government bureaucracy, simply enlarging the economy because they say so.

Of course driving up wages increases the amount they take in taxes, so it is another way to increase taxes without raising the rate.

Next.

I'm sure other factors contributed to the job growth, but the fact that raising those wages still resulted in growth is what matters.

Tell me, now that we know cutting for the taxes for the wealthy does very little to stimulate growth, what policies do work? What, to you, creates economic growth?
Why would anyone bother. You have failed to adequately answer any actual points made and failed to use a single fact that shows causation (though you keep DEMANDING that there is correlation there).

IOW, you have nothing, scream and stamp your feet that you are right and then wonder why no one bothers to engage you. The reality here is that your posts are good for nothing more than a good laugh.

States with higher minimum wage gain more jobs

Many business groups argue that raising the minimum wage discourages job growth by increasing the cost of hiring. A Congressional Budget Office report earlier this year lent some support for that view. It found that a minimum wage of $10.10 an hour, as President Obama supports, could cost 500,000 jobs nationwide.

But the state-by-state hiring data, released Friday by the Labor Department, provides ammunition to those who disagree. Economists who support a higher minimum say the figures are encouraging, though they acknowledge they don't establish a cause and effect. There are many possible reasons hiring might accelerate in a particular state.

People will work if you pay them more. More money means bills are paid, less debt, and more put back into the economy.

RWs prefer that people be on welfare.

Better yet, let them starve.
Based on the RWs posts on this board, I'd say their philosophy exemplifies the "let them eat cake' concept.

States with higher minimum wage gain more jobs

Many business groups argue that raising the minimum wage discourages job growth by increasing the cost of hiring. A Congressional Budget Office report earlier this year lent some support for that view. It found that a minimum wage of $10.10 an hour, as President Obama supports, could cost 500,000 jobs nationwide.

But the state-by-state hiring data, released Friday by the Labor Department, provides ammunition to those who disagree. Economists who support a higher minimum say the figures are encouraging, though they acknowledge they don't establish a cause and effect. There are many possible reasons hiring might accelerate in a particular state.

People will work if you pay them more. More money means bills are paid, less debt, and more put back into the economy.

RWs prefer that people be on welfare.

Better yet, let them starve.
Based on the RWs posts on this board, I'd say their philosophy exemplifies the "let them eat cake' concept.

What are you talking about? I've proposed a solution that would take us back to the low income inequality days of the 1950s and 1960s. I'm just waiting for liberals to lend their support to higher wages for workers and lower profits for the rich.

Next.

What matters is that DESPITE the increase in minimum wage, these states still managed to add jobs? Was that your point? That there was a negative effect from increasing the minimum, but since the increase was so small the other factors at work somehow managed to overcome that? That we can completely ignore what other factors might have been involved and just hope that a larger increase for the whole country will turn out the same? Fingers crossed?

What matters is that the small increases in certain areas of the country is not at all similar to raising the minimum wage by $3 across the country, or worse yet doubling it. What matters is that not knowing any of the other factors involved and drawing assumptive conclusions is tantamount to firing a gun in the dark and just hoping you don't hit someone. What matters is that I've explained this to you three times and you still don't get it.

I'm done arguing with you. You are incapable of understanding.

Up next, billy declares victory despite his utter lack of reasonable arguments.

Next.

Typical of rightwing BS - projection is OK for planning but-----but rightwingers projecting doom if the minimum wage were to be raised didn't pan out the way they projected. In the real world, let me say that again, in the REAL world just the opposite has happened.

Ask This State Whether A Higher Minimum Wage Kills Jobs
by Bryce Covert
May 16, 2014

There’s more real life evidence that a higher minimum wage may not be harmful for job creation.

In their new analysis of small businesses and job growth, Paychex and IHS report that Washington, the state with the highest minimum wage, topped the list for the biggest increase in small business employment, with jobs growing by 2.22 percent over the last year. The state’s minimum wage is currently $9.32, the highest in current law, although a handful of others have passed increases that will bring theirs higher.

<snip>

When it comes to cities, the story is the same. San Francisco, which has the highest big city minimum wage at $10.74, was the city with the greatest growth in small business employment. Seattle, which currently follows Washington’s minimum wage, came in a close second.

<snip>

And while the National Federation of Independent Business, which represents small businesses, vocally opposes increasing the minimum wage, its members actually ranked minimum wage issues at number 52 out of 75 total, while nearly 30 percent said it wasn’t even a problem.

<snip>

And-----and since Sea-Tac was in the news... Sea-Tac is doing fantastic, check it out here.

Project all you want, but know-----know that everyone knows you're full of it when there is real world evidence to the contrary. Come back with your projections when you have real world evidence. As for Sea-Tac, San Francisco, Seattle and others, they're doing just fine - in fact better than the rest of the country.

An increase in minimum wage means a higher tax revenue for the State doing it. So they can create more incentives and perks for businesses wanting to locate there with that revenue. If you were to add in a universal healthcare component in that given state, businesses would FLOCK there. Because then they would not have to provide health insurance at all and their employees would have the equivalent of a second mortgage outlay each month suddenly freed up to consume. So those businesses would see their sales increase locally where they employ people.

I have no degree in economics. I just took elementary school and high school math...OK...a little college math too but it's useless in this conversation.

Apparently the dullards in business and state offices are finally coming around to what Henry Ford knew all too well. Hey dummy: you pay your employees enough to be able to buy your cars... THAT is how true capitalism works. What most business BAs and PhDs were trained up in is malignant capitalism.....as if their wealth exists in a bubble outside the system it draws from ...lol :lmao:

Next.

Typical of rightwing BS - projection is OK for planning but-----but rightwingers projecting doom if the minimum wage were to be raised didn't pan out the way they projected. In the real world, let me say that again, in the REAL world just the opposite has happened.

Ask This State Whether A Higher Minimum Wage Kills Jobs
by Bryce Covert
May 16, 2014

There’s more real life evidence that a higher minimum wage may not be harmful for job creation.

In their new analysis of small businesses and job growth, Paychex and IHS report that Washington, the state with the highest minimum wage, topped the list for the biggest increase in small business employment, with jobs growing by 2.22 percent over the last year. The state’s minimum wage is currently $9.32, the highest in current law, although a handful of others have passed increases that will bring theirs higher.

<snip>

When it comes to cities, the story is the same. San Francisco, which has the highest big city minimum wage at $10.74, was the city with the greatest growth in small business employment. Seattle, which currently follows Washington’s minimum wage, came in a close second.

<snip>

And while the National Federation of Independent Business, which represents small businesses, vocally opposes increasing the minimum wage, its members actually ranked minimum wage issues at number 52 out of 75 total, while nearly 30 percent said it wasn’t even a problem.

<snip>

And-----and since Sea-Tac was in the news... Sea-Tac is doing fantastic, check it out here.

Project all you want, but know-----know that everyone knows you're full of it when there is real world evidence to the contrary. Come back with your projections when you have real world evidence. As for Sea-Tac, San Francisco, Seattle and others, they're doing just fine - in fact better than the rest of the country.

Which projection did I make?

What's the cost of living like in Seattle and San Francisco?

Our cost of living indices are based on a US average of 100. An amount below 100 means San Francisco, CA is cheaper than the US average. A cost of living index above 100 means San Francisco, CA is more expensive.

Overall, San Francisco, CA cost of living is 242.60.
http://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/california/san_francisco
Our cost of living indices are based on a US average of 100. An amount below 100 means Seattle, WA is cheaper than the US average. A cost of living index above 100 means Seattle, WA is more expensive.

Overall, Seattle, WA cost of living is 154.30.
http://www.bestplaces.net/cost_of_living/city/washington/seattle

So they pay higher and things cost more.

Hmmmm.

Forum List

Back