Stiff new penalties for beating a team by 35 points or more

As reported by Sacramento NBC affiliate KCRA, the Northern California Federation Youth Football League (NCFYFL) instituted stiff new penalties for any teams that beat opponents by 35 points or more. Specifically, those teams will be fined $200 and their coaches will be suspended from all league activities for two weeks. The penalty is a drastic change for the league of 7-13 year-olds, which previously issued teams with a warning following such blowouts and required a written description that detailed what the victorious team had done to try and keep scores low.

Y! SPORTS

Everyone gets a trophy and it doesn't matter if you get your butts kicked in college football.

How stupid can you get. I can remember losing a soft ball game, 32 - 2. We still went out and got ice cream cones. We worked all the harder to win the next game. Mostly we were losers but we had fun. No trophies for any of us. I don't have a single trophy. My kids have many. The one that means the most to me is when my low functioning autistic son got a trophy for "most improved" and another one for "most inspirational" in the Special Olympics. Those meant something, the rest were just because he participated.

It's no wonder why we're becoming a nation of complete sissified wimps. It's also no surprise those of you supporting this absurd rule are known Democrats on this forum, the same people who do their best to punish success in the adult world as well.

It's no wonder why we're becoming a nation of complete sissified wimps. It's also no surprise those of you supporting this absurd rule are known Democrats on this forum, the same people who do their best to punish success in the adult world as well.

I have no problems with a blow-out score. I do have problems with intentionally scheduling games outside your conference against teams that have no business sharing the same field

nobody thinks there are lessons to be learned in winning gracefully? that maybe they had problems with asshole coaches wanting to show off how awesome their 11 year old quarterback son was and running up the score?

I have no problems with a blow-out score. I do have problems with intentionally scheduling games outside your conference against teams that have no business sharing the same field

That's a different matter altogether.

As reported by Sacramento NBC affiliate KCRA, the Northern California Federation Youth Football League (NCFYFL) instituted stiff new penalties for any teams that beat opponents by 35 points or more. Specifically, those teams will be fined $200 and their coaches will be suspended from all league activities for two weeks. The penalty is a drastic change for the league of 7-13 year-olds, which previously issued teams with a warning following such blowouts and required a written description that detailed what the victorious team had done to try and keep scores low.

Y! SPORTS

Everyone gets a trophy and it doesn't matter if you get your butts kicked in college football.

Yet more evidence of the Pussification of America.

No wonder we're getting our asses kicked all around the world.

clearly you don't understand sports.

Clearly I do

no, you don't, or you'd understand that a 5 score deficit in a timed game is not quite like one in an untimed game.

5 scores remain 5 scores.

Glad I could clear that up for you

Edited to add

But the question isn't really the score, it's the "feelings" of the team on the short in of the score. I have no problem with a reasonable mercy rule (although losing by a mercy rule is still a bummer). The question is, whose more at fault and who should be fined. The answer is we should not fine excellence. THAT is a terrible example for the kids.

Last edited:
Clearly I do

no, you don't, or you'd understand that a 5 score deficit in a timed game is not quite like one in an untimed game.

you can theoretically score an infinite amount of points in a baseball game - even in one inning.

the same cannot be said about a football game. that is the difference.

Edited to add

But the question isn't really the score, it's the "feelings" of the team on the short in of the score. I have no problem with a reasonable mercy rule (although losing by a mercy rule is still a bummer). The question is, whose more at fault and who should be fined. The answer is we should not fine excellence. THAT is a terrible example for the kids.

slaughtering a team isn't excellence, it's being an asshole. again, i don't have a problem with a slaughter rule, but without one in place you have to rely on the coaches not to be dicks and i have a feeling that the league had a problem with more than few intentionally running a score up.

you can theoretically score an infinite amount of points in a baseball game - even in one inning.

Edited to add

slaughtering a team isn't excellence, it's being an asshole. again, i don't have a problem with a slaughter rule, but without one in place you have to rely on the coaches not to be dicks and i have a feeling that the league had a problem with more than few intentionally running a score up.

A blowout is a blowout no matter what sport. Losing by 5 scores, no matter the sport is a blowout.

Dick coaches DO exist. But again, a coach that DOES NOT PREPARE his players properly can also be a DICK.

I've coached, been on both sides of blowouts. Games get out of hand, it's up to the coaches to add perspective and to get the kids ready for the next game.

Again, I got no problem with mercy rules, fining a coach? Then fine both.

Clearly I do

Edited to add

A two score deficit in football with 5 minutes left is not the same as a two score deficit in baseball with an inning left

No, if one team is up 35-0 and the losing team scores, the other team can then score another touchdown.

Even in the NFL there is an unwritten rule that at some point a team stops running up the score. If a team is up by 42 points in the 4th quarter they keep it on the ground and stop throwing bombs or big pass plays. I've seen fights break out over it.

If it's considered bad form in the NFL, why not youth leagues?

So those recent college 70 something point blowouts last week didnt happen? NFL margins of victory of 20-40 plus don't happen?

Punishing a team for playing well is feel good liberal bullshit. If you are losing, either have a mercy rule and end the game or take your licks.

You can't compare this to College 1A football. Many best teams throw in a few mismatched games early in their schedule to run up their win-loss total. The opposing team knows they will probably get blown out but they get a game on national television, big bucks and who knows...once in a while there is a big upset.

You'd never see an SEC or PAC 12 team playing another SEC or PAC 12 team and up by 35-42 points in the 4th quarter trying to run up the score. it's bad form and poor sportsmanship.

...and a good way to have your star quarterback "accidentally" flattened by a couple of 300+lb linebackers!

Edited to add

A two score deficit in football with 5 minutes left is not the same as a two score deficit in baseball with an inning left

I see very little difference, especially considering hurry up offenses, onside kicks and time outs in football. In both cases you need 2 scores with plenty of time. The main difference is, in football the two scores can actually win the game, in baseball two scores just creates a tie.

Last edited:

Spot on. Offhand, I remember the Mother's Day Miracle: down 5-0 going into the 9th, the Red Sox beat Baltimore 6-5.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back