Stocks tumble again !

DigitalDrifter

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2013
Oregon
This is really starting to worry me now.

Stocks End Sharply Lower Again

Stocks were lower again today after last week’s heavy losses and ahead of corporate earnings.

There were no major economic data releases this morning.

At market close the Dow, Nasdaq and S&P 500 were down 1.3%, 1.5% and 1.6% respectively.

Stocks on the Move
It was reported this weekend that Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) has approached CSX (CSX) about a possible merger. We attribute the timing of CP's offer to three factors. First, Harrison's contract runs only through mid-2017, and regulatory approval will probably take at least a year. Second, CSX's valuation remains attractive because of near-term risks to the Appalachian coal franchise (cheap natural gas and declining export coal demand). Third, after a punishing winter, the industry is more motivated to address Chicago rail traffic congestion. Shares of Canadian Pacific were down 2.3% while CSX shares rose nearly 6% on the report.

Shares of T-Mobile US (TMUS) were down 2.5% after french firm Iliad said it was dropping its bid for the company. The move comes after T-Mobile had rejected the offer saying it undervalued the carrier.

Stocks End Sharply Lower Again - Yahoo Finance

Most people have no conception of how much money a 1.5% drop on the exchanges in one day actually represents. With lunatic Muslims murdering their way across the Middle East, our oil supply situation is looking sketchy at best, and with another 88 IQ lunatic running the White House, the rest of the world has absolutely lost faith in America. We can't go on printing Obama greenbacks forever. You have to pay the piper sooner or later.

This is really starting to worry me now.

Stocks End Sharply Lower Again

Stocks were lower again today after last week’s heavy losses and ahead of corporate earnings.

There were no major economic data releases this morning.

At market close the Dow, Nasdaq and S&P 500 were down 1.3%, 1.5% and 1.6% respectively.

Stocks on the Move
It was reported this weekend that Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) has approached CSX (CSX) about a possible merger. We attribute the timing of CP's offer to three factors. First, Harrison's contract runs only through mid-2017, and regulatory approval will probably take at least a year. Second, CSX's valuation remains attractive because of near-term risks to the Appalachian coal franchise (cheap natural gas and declining export coal demand). Third, after a punishing winter, the industry is more motivated to address Chicago rail traffic congestion. Shares of Canadian Pacific were down 2.3% while CSX shares rose nearly 6% on the report.

Shares of T-Mobile US (TMUS) were down 2.5% after french firm Iliad said it was dropping its bid for the company. The move comes after T-Mobile had rejected the offer saying it undervalued the carrier.

Stocks End Sharply Lower Again - Yahoo Finance
Start BUYING...
This is a correction. It happens. On CNBC .com analysts have been chiming in that the Stock markets were over valued and have been for quite some time. Much to do with the $85 bln per month the federal govt has been pumping into the markets. It created a mini bubble which had the DJIA up over 17k.. Where it did not belong.
This is a cleansing. It gets the fake get rich quick money out of the markets.

Just in the last three days I've lost thousands of dollars.
Take it easy....If you have a plan at work buying company stock or an income fund which buys the same certain stocks, you need not worry.
You are buying MORE shares with the same number of dollars.
If you are in this for the long term, stay the course.

It's a correction, nothing more. If, however, you are not in the market for the long haul, which I would define as your not needing the money for about 7 years or more, then you should not be in the market at all.

I'm in it for the long haul, but this is three straight days of sharp drops. Hope the market shakes it off, this one makes me nervous for some reason. I just have a bad feeling.

I'm in it for the long haul, but this is three straight days of sharp drops. Hope the market shakes it off, this one makes me nervous for some reason. I just have a bad feeling.

If you have a bad feeling, get out. Lost my portfolio on the Nasdaq bubble. Save yourself.

Experts agree that whenever one starts to make investment decisions based on emotions, one should not be in the market.

I have been in the market for decades. The bottom line for successful investing is still, "Buy low, and sell high". If you may need to bail out because you need the cash, you are already in over your head. Those that get rich in the market look at downturns as opportunities.

Experts agree that whenever one starts to make investment decisions based on emotions, one should not be in the market.

I have been in the market for decades. The bottom line for successful investing is still, "Buy low, and sell high". If you may need to bail out because you need the cash, you are already in over your head. Those that get rich in the market look at downturns as opportunities.

Yes, but you have to recognize when the market is tanking and when to get out.

Remember, there is the bear, the bull and the pig. The pig can get you in trouble.

Last edited:

Yes, but you have to recognize when the market is tanking and when to get out.

Remember, there is the bear, the bull and the pig. The pig can get you in trouble.

Unfortunately, very true. I have been lucky, myself. Every atom of my brain screamed, "Get out!", in 2008. My brother rode the market to the bottom, and then sold. I stuck with it, and watched it completely recover. The market is NOT for sissies.

If you are convinced the market is going lower, hedge. Buy an inverse ETF that goes up when the market goes down.

That being said, most investors are better served to keep fully invested and ride it out. The stock market does have a gravity- towards higher prices. If a 40% drop is not something you can stomach, you should adjust at your asset allocation.

Keep in mind your remaining working years and or if you are retired.

Balance and awareness are the keys.

You have to be careful with inverse ETFs, zander. In fact, I don't recommend them at all, unless one is trading over the short term.

During the Financial Crisis, many of the leveraged inverse ETFs actually fell even though the markets they were supposed to be tracking also fell, i.e. they went down when the market went down even though they should have gone up. I was tracking the leveraged inverse MSCI Emerging Markets index during the Financial Crisis, and it wound up being down by a quarter even though the index was cut in half.

Read more here.

Warning Leveraged and Inverse ETFs Kill Portfolios

I have no particular reason to think so, but I think that the correction will bottom somewhere in the low to mid 15,000's. I'm retired, but I have plenty of cash to get me through the next few years. I plan on exiting the market completely around the low 19,000's.

Forum List

Back