Striking fear in the hearts...

gallantwarrior

Gold Member
Jul 25, 2011
On my own 200 acres of the Frozen North
What is it about prayer, specifically christian prayer, that so terrifies athiests and others without some other religious avocation? Why is it that even the whispered hint of christian murmurings sends these loonbats streaking off to litigation? What are they afraid of? Words? And yet, they continue to demand that their "faith" be honored and respected.

Atheist group, angry mom go ballistic over prayer at pretend preschool commencement

They are afraid that there might really be a God and they refuse to even get close to the idea.
They also believe that the first amendment says freedom from religion.
They embrace the first part where it says- congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion.
Then they ignore the 2nd part that says- or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: 007
They are afraid that there might really be a God and they refuse to even get close to the idea.

That's usually my thought, too. False conviction in a belief that something does not exist? Interesting, they claim the existence of a god cannot be proven. Yet, it cannot be disproven, either. Aren't they the same people that keep telling us a negative cannot be proven?

They are afraid of being wrong.

My rights are not infringed upon because someone of a different faith prayers. In fact, if they are praying for me, I welcome it. I could use all the Divine Assistance I can get. My rights are not infringed because someone doesn't pray for me either.

If I pray for someone else, if I pray in public, how have i infringed upon the rights of someone else? I haven't. Yet if they try to prevent me from doing so they very much have infringed upon my rights.

What is it about prayer, specifically christian prayer, that so terrifies athiests and others without some other religious avocation? Why is it that even the whispered hint of christian murmurings sends these loonbats streaking off to litigation? What are they afraid of? Words? And yet, they continue to demand that their "faith" be honored and respected.

Atheist group, angry mom go ballistic over prayer at pretend preschool commencement

Here's the thing: this is a public school, and public schools (as a representative of the state & ultimately our gov't) should be as neutral as possible when it comes to religion. If we have state-sponsored school promoting Christianity at a commencement ceremony, where exactly do the Muslim children fit it? Or how about Jewish kids?

As a parent, would you like your public school district picking and choosing the religions it pushes on your child? What about if down the road Islam started picking up popularity, and teachers were regularly encouraging the children to pray to mecca at various intervals of the day?

As a non-religious person, I know I wouldn't like this one bit.

We have a place for the promotion of a specific religion in school, and that is in the private sector.

Last edited:

Here's the thing: this is a public school, and public schools (as a representative of the state & ultimately our gov't) should be as neutral as possible when it comes to religion. If we have state-sponsored school promoting Christianity at a commencement ceremony, where exactly do the Muslim children fit it? Or how about Jewish kids?

As a parent, would you like your public school district picking and choosing the religions it pushes on your child?
What about if down the road Islam started picking up popularity, and teachers were regularly encouraging the children to pray to mecca at various intervals of the day?

We have a place for the promotion of a specific religion in school, and that is in the private sector.

They can do what this country has always done and add their own, when the kid says Jesus you teach your kid to add Allah or Yahweh or which ever one you want to add or even to have your kid stay silent if you want to teach them atheism.
It's called tolerance for others as a melting pot, where we all have freedom to be religious or not religious or anything in between.
One woman's intolerance to rule over the rest of us is not what this country is about.
But our Constitution does not say that you can't pray in public on any government property.

(My bold)

Did you read the blip you posted? The mom self-identified as a Christian in the 3rd para. So she's not an athiest, & you don't get to sneer @ her belief - if that's what you were doing.

She went to the teacher of the mock graduation - which was the right place to clear up any doubts - whose answer apparently didn't satisfy her (there's no recording of the ceremony? That's hard to believe, in this day & age.)

TX public school teachers should have orientation @ the beginning of each SY - what's allowed & not allowed in class. Something there should have covered prayer, led by whoever - & the clip indicates that the prayer leader - a preschooler - was apparently following the prompting of the teacher. Of course, this is TX we're talking about - & I suppose you can't ask too much of a state board of education that wants to ditch Prexy Jefferson from the civics curriculum because he was too intellectual, or too controversial, or not quite the right flavor of Christian, or whatever the excuse was this last time.

They can do what this country has always done and add their own, when the kid says Jesus you teach your kid to add Allah or Yahweh or which ever one you want to add or even to have your kid stay silent if you want to teach them atheism.
It's called tolerance for others as a melting pot, where we all have freedom to be religious or not religious or anything in between.
One woman's intolerance to rule over the rest of us is not what this country is about.
But our Constitution does not say that you can't pray in public on any government property.

Listen, I'm totally fine with private folks praying in public. I'm actually very partial to Christianity and have volunteered with many church groups in the past.

My problem is when a state-sponsored individual leads a prayer (for a specific religion) at a state-sponsored school event. When the educators are deciding what religions will be recognized and which religions will not be recognized, the children (little preschoolers) essentially lose their "freedom of religion" because that choice is made for them.

I don't want to send my kid to a public school and have the teacher praying to Allah before every class... do you?

To be honest, I'm usually pretty complacent about this stuff. But when we're talking schools - specifically - and (especially) really little kids, I think the religion-neutral policy should be followed always...

Last edited:

Listen, I'm totally fine with private folks praying in public. I'm actually very partial to Christianity and have volunteered with many church groups in the past.

My problem is when a state-sponsored individual leads a prayer (for a specific religion) at a state-sponsored school event. When the educators are deciding what religions will be recognized and which religions will not be recognized, the children (little preschoolers) essentially lose their "freedom of religion" because that choice is made for them.

I don't want to send my kid to a public school and have the teacher praying to Allah before every class... do you?

To be honest, I'm usually pretty complacent about this stuff. But when we're talking schools - specifically - and (especially) really little kids, I think the religion-neutral policy should be followed always...

We have never had each teacher pray before each and every class starts, why would we have it now?
Nothing is wrong with prayer at special events in schools where everyone can add their own type of God or just remain silent.

We have never had each teacher pray before each and every class starts, why would we have it now?
Nothing is wrong with prayer at special events in schools where everyone can add their own type of God or just remain silent.

Did everyone get the opportunity to add their own type of god, or did the educators decide that for the crowd?

(My bold)

Did you read the blip you posted? The mom self-identified as a Christian in the 3rd para. So she's not an athiest, & you don't get to sneer @ her belief - if that's what you were doing.

She went to the teacher of the mock graduation - which was the right place to clear up any doubts - whose answer apparently didn't satisfy her (there's no recording of the ceremony? That's hard to believe, in this day & age.)

TX public school teachers should have orientation @ the beginning of each SY - what's allowed & not allowed in class. Something there should have covered prayer, led by whoever - & the clip indicates that the prayer leader - a preschooler - was apparently following the prompting of the teacher. Of course, this is TX we're talking about - & I suppose you can't ask too much of a state board of education that wants to ditch Prexy Jefferson from the civics curriculum because he was too intellectual, or too controversial, or not quite the right flavor of Christian, or whatever the excuse was this last time.

I try to be respectful of others beliefs, as I would hope they would respect mine. What I find truly disgusting is the fact that just about any time someone takes umbrage at someone else's open expression of their beliefs, they immediately make such a show of their outrage. When another's religious practices become harmful, unconstitutional, unlawful, or otherwise injurious to others, that is when we should be concerned. As far as I can see, someone saying words having some significant spiritual meaning to them, if not to others, is not hurting anyone else. So, one might infer from the extreme reactions that such utterances somehow cause pain, or fear of pain, in those who argue so vehemently for their abolition.
It has long been common custom to intone some invocation of one's god prior to significant public events. If one is offended by such things, then work to earn the right to make such addresses at these events. Then one may, or may not make any address more palatable to their sensibilities. Otherwise, I might be recommended for those easily offended by such customs to forgo attendance at any event where such offensive speech might take place.

How do you feel about the Pledge of Allegiance being spoken in public schools?

How do you feel about the Pledge of Allegiance being spoken in public schools?

I say take out the "Under God" part to keep things consistent. It was an add-on, right? Is it necessary?

I'm not going to break down the doors of city hall or anything to accomplish this, just my opinion on the phrase.

I wonder how these christians would feel if a couple of Satanists prayed to the Dark lord to take their souls for a concubine?

I don't think they would appreciate it......

It seems a little dishonest to try to lump all atheists together like that. As an atheist I have no problem with religious individuals or with prayer. I know that doesn't fit well into the theme of this thread, but oh well I guess.

It seems a little dishonest to try to lump all atheists together like that. As an atheist I have no problem with religious individuals or with prayer. I know that doesn't fit well into the theme of this thread, but oh well I guess.

Generalization. It's mankind's way of labeling and identifying a group of other people with specific general characteristics. While not always true on an individual basis, it often provides broad information about a collection of individuals with like beliefs, ideology, or other binding traits.
While often labeled a "Republican", I am certainly not. Because of certain opinions and beliefs, it's much simpler for most to pigeonhole me than to know me as an individual.

Last edited:

Generalization. It's mankind's way of labeling and identifying a group of other people with specific general characteristics. While not always true on an individual basis, it often provides broad information about a collection of individuals with like beliefs, ideology, or other binding traits.

In other words it's an imprecise and intellectually dishonest practice that is generally very socially destructive, divisive, and promotes polarization and radicalization. It is also a requirement for some of the worst atrocities that mankind has engaged in such as persecution, ethnic cleansing, and genocide and completely flies in the face of American judicial and legislative values.

As a parent, would you like your public school district picking and choosing the religions it pushes on your child? What about if down the road Islam started picking up popularity, and teachers were regularly encouraging the children to pray to mecca at various intervals of the day?

As a non-religious person, I know I wouldn't like this one bit.

Allowing someone to pray does not equal promoting their religion.
It is, merely, allowing "the free exercise thereof".

In other words it's an imprecise and intellectually dishonest practice that is generally very socially destructive, divisive, and promotes polarization and radicalization. It is also a requirement for some of the worst atrocities that mankind has engaged in such as persecution, ethnic cleansing, and genocide and completely flies in the face of American judicial and legislative values.

Yep! And it works so very, very well...for any side of any conflict.

Forum List

Back