Strong 8.0 Earthquake Hits Off The Coast Of Southern Mexico...

aaronleland

Diamond Member
May 19, 2012
Earthquake hits off the coast of southern Mexico - CNN

A Tsunami threat is being evaluated by the Tsunami Warning System. The Tsunami Warning Center advised the public that tsunami waves could hit within three hours off the coasts of Mexico, Guatemala, Panama, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras and even Ecuador.
CNN attempted to contact two seaside hotels in the Mexican state of Chiapas, next to the border with Guatemala, but the lines appeared to be down.
A receptionist at the Intercontinental in Mexico City said he only felt light shaking, however parts of the city are without power, Mayor Miguel Angel Mancera said in an interview on Foro TV.

Developing story...

Strongest quake 'since 1985' strikes off Mexican coast

MEXICO CITY - An earthquake of magnitude 8.1 struck off the southern coast of Mexico late on Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said, shaking buildings as far away as Guatemala and sending people running into the streets in the capital.

Oh look a NORMAL OCCURENCE an 8,1

Strongest quake 'since 1985' strikes off Mexican coast

MEXICO CITY - An earthquake of magnitude 8.1 struck off the southern coast of Mexico late on Thursday, the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) said, shaking buildings as far away as Guatemala and sending people running into the streets in the capital.

Oh look a NORMAL OCCURENCE an 8,1

Yes. It is. The earthquake happened along a stretch of the Cocos Plate which is a very well known subduction zone. Take a geology class sometime and you will see that Mexico is one of the most earthquake prone nations in the world.

"Mexico Table of Contents
Situated atop three of the large tectonic plates that constitute the earth's surface, Mexico is one of the most seismologically active regions on earth. The motion of these plates causes earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Most of the Mexican landmass rests on the westward moving North American plate. The Pacific Ocean floor off southern Mexico, however, is being carried northeast by the underlying motion of the Cocos plate. Ocean floor material is relatively dense; when it strikes the lighter granite of the Mexican landmass, the ocean floor is forced under the landmass, creating the deep Middle American trench that lies off Mexico's southern coast. The westward moving land atop the North American plate is slowed and crumpled where it meets the Cocos plate, creating the mountain ranges of southern Mexico. The subduction of the Cocos plate accounts for the frequency of earthquakes near Mexico's southern coast. As the rocks constituting the ocean floor are forced down, they melt, and the molten material is forced up through weaknesses in the surface rock, creating the volcanoes in the Cordillera Neovolcánica across central Mexico."

Mexico - Earthquakes

West coast on fire
East coast getting flooded
Now earthquakes...................Mmmmk all at the same time yeah real normal occurence all at once...

All that's left Atheist is " Famine and Disease up and coming bank on it lmao.
Might not be tomorrow, or next week but it's coming..

West coast on fire
East coast getting flooded
Now earthquakes...................Mmmmk all at the same time yeah real normal occurence all at once...

All that's left Atheist is " Famine and Disease up and coming bank on it lmao.
Might not be tomorrow, or next week but it's coming..

Then why the hell are you not in church praying your tiny little butt off? The rapture is COMING! Get ready for it!

What does this have to do with politics you might ask?

Well since the Solar Eclipse we've had:

Wild fires destroying the west

Harvey destroying much of the Houston area

Three hurricanes, including a Cat 5, poised to hit N America

And now a massive earthquake near Mexico with Tsunami warnings

So naturally social media is exploding about how Mother Earth is angry over Trump being elected and climate change.

And the solution for some is appeasing Mother Earth with human sacrifice.

Can you guess what President they want to sacrifice to appease Mother Earth for the sin of climate change?

And yet these are many of the same people who claim Christians are nuts for following Christ and His commandments. That instead we should rely on science.

Seriously can't make anything this ridiculous up

No, they think the Christians are nuts for blaming the disasters on humans that are gay..But at the same time they play nuts by blaming folks because of their political stances...

Well, you can think that for I would be surprised to find that, seismologically speaking, "rare" has been precisely quantified.

Well, you can think that for I would be surprised to find that, seismologically speaking, "rare" has been precisely quantified.
Possibly so..

Possibly so..
Yes...possibly so and possibly not so.

Southwest Florida had an earthquake in the Gulf of Mexico which made the buildings rattle. I hope Irma does not disturb that fault.

Possibly so..
Well, in reviewing the following papers about how earthquake occurrence probabilities are determined, I found no instance where the term "rare" was quantified.
I noticed too that undefined remained much of the vernacular laymen such as I, presumably you too (?), might use to qualify various seismic traits.

In the course of making at least a cursory effort to confirm my supposition that, among seismologists, "rare" is likely not precisely quantified, I stumbled across several papers that discuss induced earthquakes.
OT:
A very quick scan of the conclusion section of one of the papers revealed that it is possible to induce earthquakes. Certainly not conclusive...there are surely more papers, and I'm not going through any more of them...I can live just fine without more rigorous confirmation of whether "rare" has a specific seismic meaning/application.

Now I don't particularly care about how to induce quakes, but learning that the things can be induced made me wonder whether any organization -- USGS in particular -- as endeavored to apply any, some or all of the quake inducing techniques to major seismic systems in the US as a way to attenuate or, better still, abate the incidence of "8" or higher magnitude quakes in the U.S?

Possibly so..
Well, in reviewing the following papers about how earthquake occurrence probabilities are determined, I found no instance where the term "rare" was quantified.
I noticed too that undefined remained much of the vernacular laymen such as I, presumably you too (?), might use to qualify various seismic traits.

In the course of making at least a cursory effort to confirm my supposition that, among seismologists, "rare" is likely not precisely quantified, I stumbled across several papers that discuss induced earthquakes.
OT:
A very quick scan of the conclusion section of one of the papers revealed that it is possible to induce earthquakes. Certainly not conclusive...there are surely more papers, and I'm not going through any more of them...I can live just fine without more rigorous confirmation of whether "rare" has a specific seismic meaning/application.

Now I don't particularly care about how to induce quakes, but learning that the things can be induced made me wonder whether any organization -- USGS in particular -- as endeavored to apply any, some or all of the quake inducing techniques to major seismic systems in the US as a way to attenuate or, better still, abate the incidence of "8" or higher magnitude quakes in the U.S?

Magnitude 8 quakes are not rare. They are uncommon, but not rare. The average is one per year. Magnitude 7 quakes happen a little more than once per month. Truly astonishing quakes, such as the Magnitude 9 that struck Chile in 2004, have a frequency rate of around 3 per century. They can only occur along subduction zones however.

Mexico City, elevation 7,350 feet has a lot more to worry about than earthquakes. Mt. Popocateptl, active cider cone volcano elevation 17,887 feet looks down on Ciudad de Mexico.

Forum List

Back