Student Arrested After Wearing Gorilla Mask, Carrying Bananas at Black Lives Matter Protest

Both are a clear intention to incite a hazardous reaction. He is lucky he wasnt beat up or shot.

The wearing of a mask, regardless of its perceived implications, certainly is not an incitement to reasonably intelligent, civilized, law-abiding, people. But the fact that it might incite a violent response by uncivilized, undisciplined, low IQ, criminally inclined, anti-social low-life barbarians does in no way justify violating the civil (Constitutional) rights of one who wishes only to express an idea or a personal feeling.

Whom do you believe would be offended by the wearing of a gorilla mask -- and specifically WHY?

Both are a clear intention to incite a hazardous reaction. He is lucky he wasnt beat up or shot.

The wearing of a mask, regardless of its implications, certainly is not an incitement to reasonably intelligent, civilized, law-abiding, people. But the fact that it might incite a violent response by uncivilized, undisciplined, low IQ, criminally inclined, anti-social low-lifes does in no way justify violating the civil (Constitutional) rights of one who wishes only to express an idea or a personal feeling.

Who do you believe would be offended by the wearing of a gorilla mask -- and specifically WHY?

Obviously you are wrong in your opinion. Calling someone an ape and handing out bananas is a clear incitement to violence.

No one wants to be compared to white people who look more like monkeys than any Black person.

I read the statute, and the application is utterly absurd.

Update: The charges have been dropped. The School is conducting a separate investigation.

UPDATE: Student in gorilla mask with bananas, nooses charged after Black Lives Matter face-off at ETSU - PHOTOS/VIDEO
Unless the arrestee has agreed to accept dismissal of the charges as final the fact remains he was falsely arrested, detained and deprived of his liberty. Some people take that rather seriously.

Update: The charges have been dropped. The School is conducting a separate investigation.

UPDATE: Student in gorilla mask with bananas, nooses charged after Black Lives Matter face-off at ETSU - PHOTOS/VIDEO
Unless the arrestee has agreed to accept dismissal of the charges as final the fact remains he was falsely arrested, detained and deprived of his liberty. Some people take that rather seriously.
He doesnt have a leg to stand on. He arguably broke a law and was arrested. He is lucky he is not still in jail.

Obviously you are wrong in your opinion.
Really? Obvious to whom?

Calling someone an ape and handing out bananas is a clear incitement to violence.
You can call me an ape and hand out all the bananas you like -- and I'll laugh in your face and say thanks. (I like bananas.)

No one wants to be compared to white people who look more like monkeys than any Black person.
If believing that makes you happy, have at it.

Last edited:
Obviously you are wrong in your opinion.
Really? Obvious to whom?

Calling someone an ape and handing out bananas is a clear incitement to violence.
You can call me an ape and hand out all the bananas you like -- and I'll laugh in your face.

If believing that makes you happy, have at it.
Yes really. It was obvious to me but more importantly the cops that arrested him.

I wouldnt do that to you because i know it would incite violence in most people. Hence my and the police reaction to his actions.

Trust me. No one wants to be called white if they arent white.

Key issue here is that he is white and a male. BLM can do what they want, because our society is pussified.

He had a right to do what he did and if he sues the police for infringing his First Amendment rights he would probably prevail.
Actually it looks like he didnt have a right to do what he did. From the OP's link.

Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-309 prohibits civil rights intimidation and provides, in part:

(b) A person commits the offense of intimidating others from exercising civil rights who:

(2) Injures or threatens to injure or coerces another person with the intent to unlawfully intimidate another because that other exercised any right or privilege secured by the constitution or laws of the United States or the constitution or laws of the state of Tennessee;

(c) It is an offense for a person to wear a mask or disguise with the intent to violate subsection (b)
If this becomes an argued legal contest the pivotal object will be the word intent. The prosecution will need to prove the defendant intended to intimidate anyone. Keeping mind this is one individual vs a large group of supposed adversaries the prosecution will need to show how wearing a theatrical mask would have prevented any group or assembly of individuals from exercising their civil rights.

The problem is unless this masked fellow can afford to hire an exceptionally sophisticated trial lawyer, or he can find one who is willing for one reason or other to undertake the case either pro-bono or on a potentially worthwhile contingency basis, the arguable elements of the issue will never be weighed by a jury.
No, there will be no shortage of attorneys willing to take on this student's case. Federal law awards attorneys' fees and costs in cases like this.

Black Livess screams "What do we want? Dead cops!" And nobody gets arrested or questioned, but some idiot wears a gorilla mask exercising his first amendment rights and he gets arrested.
Whats illegal about saying "we want dead cops?"
Asshole agitating bums threatening physical harm and death to cops is certainly more concerning than some idiot wearing a gorilla mask.
When you put like that it makes sense. However, when you come back to reality and have to prove your dream world thats when your argument falls apart. Typical of white boys that lack in constructing a coherent or relevant argument.

What I cited was the reality. They let a bunch of asshole agitating bums scream "death to cops" while a stupid racist idiot wearing a gorilla mask gets arrested.

Perhaps, but did you read post #9. Apparently there is a statute sited for justifying the arrest.

I don't see it saying charges have been dropped. It says, "Criminal charges were pending before the local district attorney, and an internal student-conduct investigation was underway.". That sounds to me like the DA still has to decide whether to pursue the charge.

This article also says it was public safety officers of the university who took the student away. Now I'm wondering if he was actually arrested by police; are the safety officers police and acted in that capacity?

As others have said, this guy sounds like an ass, but not like he did anything illegal.

"Beat up or shot." The immediate solution to all problems.

Why do you suppose our national prison census looks the way it does?
Thats easy. Its because the justice system has been proven to incarcerate Blacks at a higher rate for the same offenses whites do even though more whites are actually in prison.

"Beat up or shot." The immediate solution to all problems.

Why do you suppose our national prison census looks the way it does?
Thats easy. Its because the justice system has been proven to incarcerate Blacks at a higher rate for the same offenses whites do even though more whites are actually in prison.
It's the same thing with Muslims and terrorism. Blacks overwhelmingly commit most of the crimes therefore they are profiled more by cops, and the justice system at times treats them unfairly. To properly address the problem there needs to be a holistic socio economic approach to the plight of blacks in this country, their family values, schools, jobs, and education. Unfortunately black people do not have good leaders, all they have are con artists and corrupt political hacks that only make their situation worse. President Obama is a good example of that.

I don't say this to offend but you do seem to be subject to delusion, i.e., you believe whatever you wish to believe.

Go here for some facts: U.S. incarceration rates by race | Prison Policy Initiative

I won't ask you why this gross disparity exists because I already know what your answer will be.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back