Students find $40,000 in Thrift Store couch

Reminds me of the sugar bowl I once saw at a thrift store. It still had sugar in it.

Second-hand stores must not do a very thorough job of cleaning up their merchandise before they sell it. Who knows what other kinds of germs and bed bugs might have been in that couch.

Second hand stores do not do a thorough job of researching what it donated to them. Reverse painted glass, signed artwork, valuable glass such as signed Lalique have been found in thrift stores. Who wouldn't know who Lalique was? Still anything can happen. Same goes for garage sales and auctions. You never know what you'll find. Knowledge is power. In the case of the couch? It was divine intervention. The woman needed her money back and the right people bought the couch which led to her receiving her money back. I cannot imagine how badly the daughter felt.

Not so much anymore, at least not with the Goodwill. Now, anything of value, they sell over the internet.

I'd have kept the money.

The old woman needed it more than you

So when those auctions take place on storage units that are either abandoned or seized for lack of payment, the buyers of the contents should be required to return to the original owner anything of value?
So when one of the characters in "Storage Wars" bought a locker that ended up having three safes in it which contained tens of thousands of dollars in rare coins, they should have found the original owner and given them the coins?
You have an opinion. The girls decided to find out the previous owner of the sofa and give them the money.
In my world, I bought that couch fair and square, as is, no conditions.
In my view, that couch and anything in and of that couch becomes MY property.
Now, if I KNEW ahead of time that before I bought the furniture, that it had the money in it, that would be dishonest.
You have you view. I have mine. End of discussion.

Indeed. You're an asshole but you have the right to choose to be an asshole. End of discussion.

Yeah, that would be the clincher for me. If there was zero indication of who it belonged to, then I wouldn't feel too bad keeping the money. With the person's name on it however, I would probably have to give it back.

'Theft of Mislaid Property'--

I didn't know there was such a law---

Georgia Public Defender Charged With Keeping Found Diamond Ring | JONATHAN TURLEY

~~~~~~

Yes, in Georgia you'll go to jail if you keep something you found that belongs to someone else. It isn't just limited to things. That includes husbands. In Georgia, there is a law that allows the wife to sue the mistress who breaks up her happy home. The mistress is financially responsible. Believe it or not.. someone told me about that some years ago and I found it amazing...

lol, cool. I've never understood a woman who would take a man from his wife. I mean, if he'll leave her for you, what's to stop him from leaving you for someone else?

So when those auctions take place on storage units that are either abandoned or seized for lack of payment, the buyers of the contents should be required to return to the original owner anything of value?
So when one of the characters in "Storage Wars" bought a locker that ended up having three safes in it which contained tens of thousands of dollars in rare coins, they should have found the original owner and given them the coins?
You have an opinion. The girls decided to find out the previous owner of the sofa and give them the money.
Now, if I KNEW ahead of time that before I bought the furniture, that it had the money in it, that would be dishonest.

In this story, her daughter sold the couch while she was in having back surgery, without her knowledge or permission.

In my view, you are dishonest. No worries, Karma will get you.

I'll believe in Karma as soon as I start believing in reincarnation.

Karma has nothing to do with reincarnation. Doesn't take that long. Sometimes it even pays forward -- positive or negative.

Last edited:
I often deal with larger amounts of cash. The bank tellers are always trying to get me to take my $200k in my checking account & open a savings account.
They are right. Interest rates on savings accounts suck but with 200k your are still leaving enough money on the table to where using a savings account would make much more sense.

If you use the same bank you should be able to just walk in and withdraw from savings on the spot up to six times per month, if you're worried about maxing that frequency spread it among more than one savings account. Otherwise get a higher rate with an online bank and just manage the planning to transfer funds to your local bank checking account as needed.

A couple months back they were paying 0.25% LOL I can't plan ahead & transfer funds when shopping for salvage equipment. If I win the bid, I need cash now. Even with it in checking I had to call ahead 2 days because Bank of America branch's don't even have that kind of cash in their branch vaults.

'Theft of Mislaid Property'--

I didn't know there was such a law---

Georgia Public Defender Charged With Keeping Found Diamond Ring | JONATHAN TURLEY

~~~~~~

Yes, in Georgia you'll go to jail if you keep something you found that belongs to someone else. It isn't just limited to things. That includes husbands. In Georgia, there is a law that allows the wife to sue the mistress who breaks up her happy home. The mistress is financially responsible. Believe it or not.. someone told me about that some years ago and I found it amazing...

lol, cool. I've never understood a woman who would take a man from his wife. I mean, if he'll leave her for you, what's to stop him from leaving you for someone else?

Very true. In Geogia he'll leave broke though.

Divorce in Georgia - we call it community property. The husband gets the community and the wife gets the property.

I don't care where you are, there are always good people.

ok lets put it this way Sheila....there is a 5% chance she would have gotten it back....

fair enough.

5% is great. It proves all the more that this was a case of divine providence designed specificly to this womans needs - right down to the right people finding her money and returning. She got a new couch out of the deal too. It all ended well...

Reminds me of the sugar bowl I once saw at a thrift store. It still had sugar in it.

Second-hand stores must not do a very thorough job of cleaning up their merchandise before they sell it. Who knows what other kinds of germs and bed bugs might have been in that couch.

Second hand stores do not do a thorough job of researching what it donated to them. Reverse painted glass, signed artwork, valuable glass such as signed Lalique have been found in thrift stores. Who wouldn't know who Lalique was? Still anything can happen. Same goes for garage sales and auctions. You never know what you'll find. Knowledge is power. In the case of the couch? It was divine intervention. The woman needed her money back and the right people bought the couch which led to her receiving her money back. I cannot imagine how badly the daughter felt.

Not so much anymore, at least not with the Goodwill. Now, anything of value, they sell over the internet.

Many of them sell BOOKS over the Internet. I have bought several recently through Amazon from King County Goodwill.

I'd have kept the money.

I actually agree with you. You bought it, its your property, along with anything of value you find in it.
You can choose to find the owner, but you should also be able to choose not to. If you didn't, its not theft, because you didn't steal anything.

In this story, her daughter sold the couch while she was in having back surgery, without her knowledge or permission.

In my view, you are dishonest. No worries, Karma will get you.

That makes it a little different, and the cash should have been returned as the couch was sold without permission.
BUT - if the woman herself had sold the couch, then remembered the money, she should have no claim to it.

Forum List

Back