Students find $40,000 in Thrift Store couch

This is a good story....
But..

I'm sure the Libs on the USMB are busy trying to work a tax angle on this wondering what sort of tax liability any of those involved are responsible for...

Libs see someone having money it's their duty to find a way to tax it.

thats here in California.....Sacramento is trying to figure out a way right now how too tax the number of turds you flush.....diarrhea will be a flat rate....

Nice story, but the kids probably felt whoever left that money in the couch would come after whoever bought it, so they had no choice but to return the money.

Don't blame her really...
I think my Bank pays me .00001 % interest on my savings account.

And charge me 20% on my credit card.
You are an example of why basic personal finance skills should be a required course in both high school and college.

I'd have kept the money.

The old woman needed it more than you

So when those auctions take place on storage units that are either abandoned or seized for lack of payment, the buyers of the contents should be required to return to the original owner anything of value?
So when one of the characters in "Storage Wars" bought a locker that ended up having three safes in it which contained tens of thousands of dollars in rare coins, they should have found the original owner and given them the coins?
You have an opinion. The girls decided to find out the previous owner of the sofa and give them the money.
In my world, I bought that couch fair and square, as is, no conditions.
In my view, that couch and anything in and of that couch becomes MY property.
Now, if I KNEW ahead of time that before I bought the furniture, that it had the money in it, that would be dishonest.
You have you view. I have mine. End of discussion.

Whenever these type news items come up I'm baffled as to why anyone not involved in crime would have a huge amount of money in a shoe/couch/whatever that ends up at Goodwill.

I could see having some emergency cash stashed around the house, but what dumbfuck does 40k and just hopes they don't forget about it, get it stolen, have it burned up in a fire, etc. hell even a 1% interest rate at an online bank is better than what she did.

I hope she kicked those kids some kind of reward, being a stupid any amount of money is a big deal.

It says right there, she gave them $1000.00. Also, a lot of people don't trust the banks or the government.

I'd have kept the money.

So when those auctions take place on storage units that are either abandoned or seized for lack of payment, the buyers of the contents should be required to return to the original owner anything of value?
So when one of the characters in "Storage Wars" bought a locker that ended up having three safes in it which contained tens of thousands of dollars in rare coins, they should have found the original owner and given them the coins?
You have an opinion. The girls decided to find out the previous owner of the sofa and give them the money.
Now, if I KNEW ahead of time that before I bought the furniture, that it had the money in it, that would be dishonest.

In this story, her daughter sold the couch while she was in having back surgery, without her knowledge or permission.

In my view, you are dishonest. No worries, Karma will get you.

I'd have kept the money.

Finders keepers, losers weepers

Words to live by

Words to live by

Not if you're a Christian. I couldn't keep the money, my conscience wouldn't let me.

Keeping something you found, especially when there's a way to find the owner, is stealing.

Years ago, when we were very poor, we were in Costco and I accidentally dropped our money. We went home without our groceries. The money was in a bank envelope and all that was in there was a deposit slip with our bank account number on it. Whoever found it, turned it in to Costco, who in turn gave it to the bank, who called us and we got our money back when it was so desperately needed. It was only a couple of hundred dollars, but it was a lot of money to us at the time. I bless those people who turned it in, even though I have no idea who it was, they didn't give their name.

I could do no less if I found some money, no matter how much it was.

In this story, her daughter sold the couch while she was in having back surgery, without her knowledge or permission.

I'll believe in Karma as soon as I start believing in reincarnation.

Words to live by

Not if you're a Christian. I couldn't keep the money, my conscience wouldn't let me.

Keeping something you found, especially when there's a way to find the owner, is stealing.

Years ago, when we were very poor, we were in Costco and I accidentally dropped our money. We went home without our groceries. The money was in a bank envelope and all that was in there was a deposit slip with our bank account number on it. Whoever found it, turned it in to Costco, who in turn gave it to the bank, who called us and we got our money back when it was so desperately needed. It was only a couple of hundred dollars, but it was a lot of money to us at the time. I bless those people who turned it in, even though I have no idea who it was, they didn't give their name.

I could do no less if I found some money, no matter how much it was.

I agree.
When I was a teenager, I found a wallet on an amusement park ride with $600 in it. I turned it in......I figured it was someone's vacation money

Whenever these type news items come up I'm baffled as to why anyone not involved in crime would have a huge amount of money in a shoe/couch/whatever that ends up at Goodwill.

I could see having some emergency cash stashed around the house, but what dumbfuck does 40k and just hopes they don't forget about it, get it stolen, have it burned up in a fire, etc. hell even a 1% interest rate at an online bank is better than what she did.

I hope she kicked those kids some kind of reward, being a stupid any amount of money is a big deal.

I often deal with larger amounts of cash. The bank tellers are always trying to get me to take my $200k in my checking account & open a savings account. The manager comes out & shows me their rates. I keep laughing as they fill my money pouches. I'm telling them I will make 50 times more with just one deal I am using the cash to buy salvage equipment, repair & resell. I keep telling them I must keep that cash in my account liquid & to always have 20% of it in the branch vault for when I come in for a withdraw. There have been times in the past I had to go to many branches just to withdraw $20k in one day.

I did lose $7k cash in a fire this year. It was a real drag. But not as bad as the $300k uninsured building & equipment the fire destroyed along with it. It's been a bad year so far. Nearly every tool I own burned up. I can't repair & flip jack shit right now.

Last edited:

I'll believe in Karma as soon as I start believing in reincarnation.

You don't have to believe in karma....just believe in doing what is right

Forum List

Back