Studies, Showing Smokers Less Likely to Suffer Worst Effects of Covid-19?

White 6

Diamond Member
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 10, 2019
Not trying to piss of the rabid non-smokers, but three different groups in three different countries are suggesting smokers are less likely to become critically ill with Covid-19 is surprising. Early in the pandemic, I remember reading and hearing of smoking cigarettes predicted as an underlying condition, that would place smokers in a higher risk than the general population.

Yes, I am a smoker, and well used to discrimination and passing condemnation for a nasty habit, even though the excessive taxes placed on smoking to fund everything from anti-smoking campaigns, to children's healthcare, to state education funding, clearly means smokers actively contribute to the public good by their decision to smoke.

The article in the Daily Mail speaks of the disparity in the general population between the number of active smoker and the much lower number of smokers having to be hospitalized or and treated for Covid-19.

Was Hockney RIGHT? French researchers to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers after lower rates of infection were found among smokers
  • A French study found that only 4.4% of 350 coronavirus patients hospitalized were regular smokers and 5.3% of 130 homebound patients smoked
  • This pales in comparison with at least 25% of the French population that smokes
  • Researchers theorized nicotine could prevent the virus from infecting cells or that nicotine was preventing the immune system from overreacting to the virus
  • To test this theory, hospitalized coronavirus patients, intensive care patients and frontline workers nicotine patches
  • French team plans to see if nicotine patches prevent coronavirus

Not trying to piss of the rabid non-smokers, but three different groups in three different countries are suggesting smokers are less likely to become critically ill with Covid-19 is surprising. Early in the pandemic, I remember reading and hearing of smoking cigarettes predicted as an underlying condition, that would place smokers in a higher risk than the general population.

Yes, I am a smoker, and well used to discrimination and passing condemnation for a nasty habit, even though the excessive taxes placed on smoking to fund everything from anti-smoking campaigns, to children's healthcare, to state education funding, clearly means smokers actively contribute to the public good by their decision to smoke.

The article in the Daily Mail speaks of the disparity in the general population between the number of active smoker and the much lower number of smokers having to be hospitalized or and treated for Covid-19.

Was Hockney RIGHT? French researchers to give nicotine patches to coronavirus patients and frontline workers after lower rates of infection were found among smokers
  • A French study found that only 4.4% of 350 coronavirus patients hospitalized were regular smokers and 5.3% of 130 homebound patients smoked
  • This pales in comparison with at least 25% of the French population that smokes
  • Researchers theorized nicotine could prevent the virus from infecting cells or that nicotine was preventing the immune system from overreacting to the virus
  • To test this theory, hospitalized coronavirus patients, intensive care patients and frontline workers nicotine patches

Would be great if the research continues to find out this to be true. Next run on nicotine patches.

Yesterday I saw a man with a mask on his forehead while he was smoking a cigarette...something about that is funny....

Sounds like someone is trying to justify a bad habit.
Heck. Even I would not suggest people take it up. At my age, I no longer need a justification to live in good health and enjoy myself as I please. It has never caused me a problem, except not smoking in my home or my wife's SUV.

Interesting I suppose. There is a difference between a nicotine patch and smoke in ones lungs of course. I wonder if maybe the tar in ones lungs acts as some sort of protective coat against the virus infiltrating further into the lung cells? Just throwing it out there. :dunno:

How ironic would it be that a respiratory virus is less harmful to smokers who often suffer from respiratory issues?

Have to hand it to the French though, they are about as creative, open minded and meticulous with their science as anyone.

Interesting I suppose. There is a difference between a nicotine patch and smoke in ones lungs of course. I wonder if maybe the tar in ones lungs acts as some sort of protective coat against the virus infiltrating further into the lung cells? Just throwing it out there. :dunno:

How ironic would it be that a respiratory virus is less harmful to smokers who often suffer from respiratory issues?

Have to hand it to the French though, they are about as creative, open minded and meticulous with their science as anyone.
Would not be surprised if you are correct. On occasion I will have one cough and expel a single bit of phlegm. If I have just smoke a cigarette or smoking one at the time, it plainly has a bit of the tar or smoke, so obviously has the nicotine. If that is what coats my bronchial passages to the point it triggers a cough to expel it, and nicotine is actually proven to deter chemically the growth or something, it would make sense. Don't run out and take up smoking, just sayin.

The experts were saying the opposite a few weeks ago ...smoking and obesity made kung flu worse

I need a pack of lucky strike now
No filter

This is certainly worth exploring, especially among high risk populations like Geezer living in the old folks home.

Perhaps the government can contract with Big Tobacco and have pell mells shipped to half the nation's nursing facilities and see how it works on a large scale. Maybe all that tar and nicotine is poisonous to the COVID19 virus?

Forum List

Back