Subway founder: Obama has created oppresive regulatory environment

Because it's cheaper if America doesn't have health care. Let them die in the streets.

From what I heard all the no health insurance crowd wanted was free birth control and abortions.

Welfare recipients already have healthcare. the rich have it or pay out of pocket. And the middle class pay for it themselves or it's provided for them through work and government workers have healthcare.

So who are these people dying in the streets?

Subway thrives because people are in a hurry and have a taste for shit. It thrives in Europe, regardless of their universal heath care and higher minimum wage. The obvious reason is there is a market to expand in Europe and all the bullshit conservatives bitch about doesn't stop a business from expanding.

Do you think a Subway would thrive in Philly, where the cheese steak was born? You can't buy bad food in downtown Philly and even a street vendor has quality.

I'm happy just going to the quality sub shops that still exist.

Fast food places thrive because people want convenience and they want familiarity. I don't much care for fast food, any of it, but when I'm in a strange town I know what I'm getting into at Burger World. I'm not so sure what will happen at Big Daddy's House of Eats, y'know?

That aside, the regulations are stricter in the US than anywhere else in the world. That's why we don't get horsemeat at Burger King.

(Did you know that nearly all cruise ships are registered outside the US?)

The cold cuts that go on subs have unique tastes and many are imported or copied from Europe.

Horsemeat? Are you really so sure about a sandwich called a Whopper? I remember kangaroo meat at Jack in the Box. I remember when they were the only place open late at night and their burger was definitely different in taste.

I see the problem here, you are a snob. You think the only food that is acceptable is the stuff you grew up eating. Guess what, different people like different things, and, ultimately, all that matter is that you need to eat to survive.

Subway is expanding in this area since Obama became president. I can think of at least four new ones in this area.

And how many Subway's have closed in other area's since Obama became president?

Also, it's comical how conservatives have revived parts of the economy and Obama tries to take credit for it. After the dumbocrats spent us into collapse and completely destroyed our economy in Obama's first two years, America sent the entire liberal party home with their tail between their legs and replaced them with conservatives.

Scott Walker took over Wisconsin, and rapidly began turning it around. Kasich took over Ohio and rapidly starting turning it around. This went on all over the nation from governors, to state legislators, to local mayor's, etc. And here we sit with Obama and his cronies trying to take credit for it.....

Fast food places thrive because people want convenience and they want familiarity. I don't much care for fast food, any of it, but when I'm in a strange town I know what I'm getting into at Burger World. I'm not so sure what will happen at Big Daddy's House of Eats, y'know?

That aside, the regulations are stricter in the US than anywhere else in the world. That's why we don't get horsemeat at Burger King.

(Did you know that nearly all cruise ships are registered outside the US?)

The cold cuts that go on subs have unique tastes and many are imported or copied from Europe.

Horsemeat? Are you really so sure about a sandwich called a Whopper? I remember kangaroo meat at Jack in the Box. I remember when they were the only place open late at night and their burger was definitely different in taste.

I see the problem here, you are a snob. You think the only food that is acceptable is the stuff you grew up eating. Guess what, different people like different things, and, ultimately, all that matter is that you need to eat to survive.

He's definitely an IDIOT - but I'm not sure a "snob". After all, he believes Philly street vendors is "quality dining" :lol:

yes there should be no regulations. Take a look at china. The middle class there is purely and overtly oppressed and the air is toxic. Yes lets look at their model.

OMG the drama queens are running in pairs now. How did we ever survive the first 150 years, or over the centuries for that matter without regulations?

We didn't. This country had regulations from the first.

Let's take the UK for example. The minimum wage in the UK is 22.2% higher than ours

If the minimum wage is increased 22.2%, then the cost of the sandwhiches go up 22.2%. Which means the truck drive who wants to buy them increases his fees 22.2%. Which means the gas stations which have their fuels delivered via trucks raise their fees 22.2%. It continues until the "increase" for the minimum wage worker is no more useful to them than their wage before the increase.

Why do you think a worker today cannot survive off of the $0.25 per hour the original minimum wage was set at in 1938? Because every time you idiots try to artificially prop-up a low income worker, the market has a natural reaction of raising their prices to cover the new costs.

It's basic economics and it's a damn shame you need someone to explain it to you.

[

You folks say this until it's used against you, and then you argue the opposite.

Case in point...

One of the BIG leftist talking points about illegal immigration is that if we deported all the illegals the price of a head of lettuce would be $10.

Can't have it both ways, Bro...

I've never argued that.

I would argue that if we deported the illegals, all the lettuce would rot in the fields because no one would pick it no matter how much you paid them. In fact, this is EXACTLY what happened in MS when those mouth-breathers pased a draconian immigration law. There are some jobs Americans just won't do.

No - there are some jobs (in fact, MOST) that lazy liberals like YOU won't do.

American's will do any and all jobs - and we have for over two centuries.

Let's take the UK for example. The minimum wage in the UK is 22.2% higher than ours

If the minimum wage is increased 22.2%, then the cost of the sandwhiches go up 22.2%. Which means the truck drive who wants to buy them increases his fees 22.2%. Which means the gas stations which have their fuels delivered via trucks raise their fees 22.2%. It continues until the "increase" for the minimum wage worker is no more useful to them than their wage before the increase.

Why do you think a worker today cannot survive off of the $0.25 per hour the original minimum wage was set at in 1938? Because every time you idiots try to artificially prop-up a low income worker, the market has a natural reaction of raising their prices to cover the new costs.

It's basic economics and it's a damn shame you need someone to explain it to you.

Listen clearly, fool! 100% of the cost of doing business at Subway is not labor costs, so those other costs don't go up just because labor costs go up. Are you right-wingers totally stupid people to even make such a ridiculous claim?

You call such stupidity basic economics and even a child should know more than you know. You have the opinion of the billionaire who makes his living off of selling shit sandwich franchises and right now is expanding operations in Europe, where there is higher minimum wages, universal health care and a recession. What more proof do you need? Why wouldn't the sales volume for Subway shit sandwiches increase in America if minimum wage increased?

He's definitely an IDIOT - but I'm not sure a "snob". After all, he believes Philly street vendors is "quality dining" :lol:

I prefer street food to escargot, but I was raised on simple food.

I am using snob in the sense of a person who believes that they have more taste than another person. He believes his taste in food is such that he thinks horse meat, which is considered a delicacy, is worse than low grade hamburger.

Last edited:

Listen clearly, fool! 100% of the cost of doing business at Subway is not labor costs, so those other costs don't go up just because labor costs go up. Are you right-wingers totally stupid people to even make such a ridiculous claim?

You call such stupidity basic economics and even a child should know more than you know. You have the opinion of the billionaire who makes his living off of selling shit sandwich franchises and right now is expanding operations in Europe, where there is higher minimum wages, universal health care and a recession. What more proof do you need? Why wouldn't the sales volume for Subway shit sandwiches increase in America if minimum wage increased?

Since you are the expert, you obviously have access to actual data to support your claim. You should not only be able to tell us how much of Subway's cost are labor, and how much are other things. After you tell us that, you should be able to provide actual data to back up your claims.

By the way, are people going to eat more food because they make more money? If that is the way it works, and obesity among poor people is driving up health care costs, wouldn't it make more sense to cut the minimum wage so they will eat less?

Alternatively, you could continue being a pompous ass.

Last edited:

What??

Anyone else see a pattern here? All of the successful entrepreneurs who went from rags to riches admit they wouldn't have been able to start or build their businesses in the current climate that Obama and the communist liberals have created....

The founder of Subway says there’s no way he could start the sandwich chain today, thanks to the oppressive regulatory environment and Obamacare.

Subway Founder: Subway Would Not Exist If Started Today Due to Government Regulations | Washington Free Beacon

The only "regulation" he can mention specifically is Affordable Care Act.

Fred Deluca is worth $2.5 Billion. If the ACA had been around when he started subway, he'd only be worth $1.25 Billion.

How come we aren't talking about how overvalued and overpaid CEO's are? Economists have been studying the trends in executive compensation for 3 decades and there exists nothing to justify what has gone on, we're overpaying executive -- or, more correctly, THEY ARE OVERPAYING THEMSELVES.

When a stock is overvalued, investors can short it as way to correct the market. If an executive is overpaid for 5 yeas, then leaves, after which the company tanks because of poor long term planning (American Auto Industry), how do we claw-back the money he was paid.

Subway is expanding in this area since Obama became president. I can think of at least four new ones in this area.

Also, it's comical how conservatives have revived parts of the economy and Obama tries to take credit for it. After the dumbocrats spent us into collapse and completely destroyed our economy in Obama's first two years, America sent the entire liberal party home with their tail between their legs and replaced them with conservatives.

Scott Walker took over Wisconsin, and rapidly began turning it around. Kasich took over Ohio and rapidly starting turning it around. This went on all over the nation from governors, to state legislators, to local mayor's, etc. And here we sit with Obama and his cronies trying to take credit for it.....

LOL Why don't you tell us how many Subways there were in 2009, and how many there are now,

if you're so smart?

subway is expanding in this area since obama became president. I can think of at least four new ones in this area.

and how many subway's have closed in other area's since obama became president?

Also, it's comical how conservatives have revived parts of the economy and obama tries to take credit for it. After the dumbocrats spent us into collapse and completely destroyed our economy in obama's first two years, america sent the entire liberal party home with their tail between their legs and replaced them with conservatives.

Scott walker took over wisconsin, and rapidly began turning it around. Kasich took over ohio and rapidly starting turning it around. This went on all over the nation from governors, to state legislators, to local mayor's, etc. And here we sit with obama and his cronies trying to take credit for it.....

lol why don't you tell us how many subways there were in 2009, and how many there are now,

if you're so smart?

Since you are the expert, you obviously have access to actual data to support your claim. You should not only be able to tell us how much of Subway's cost are labor, and how much are other things. After you tell us that, you should be able to provide actual data to back up your claims.

By the way, are people going to eat more food because they make more money? If that is the way it works, and obesity among poor people is driving up health care costs, wouldn't it make more sense to cut the minimum wage so they will eat less?

Do you really need actual data to apply common sense? Subway is a franchise, so there is obviously a franchise fee. Subway claims to be cheaper than most fast food, but the bottom line is the owner will pay Subway so much money to set up a business and purchase everything to run that business from Subway, except expenses like labor, rent, electricity, water, sewage, trash removal, taxes and maintenance costs. Obviously, there is a lot of cost just setting up a Subway business, so part of the cost of doing business is what an investment would yield if you just safely invested the money and didn't use it to set up a business. The person is going to have to rent floor space at a strip mall of a certain size and pay to have it converted into an operational Subway business. I would imagine the person will have to buy all the equipment and supplies from Subway, so as inventory is reduced by sales, that inventory will be replaced. The owner will be billed for the inventory by whatever supplier Subway is using in that area. The owner is also going to get billed for all the other expenses mentioned above and incidental bills, like bookkeeping, replacing lights or hiring a snow plow. There will be costs for unemployment insurance or liability insurance for customers and workmen's compensation. There are plenty of costs in the cost of doing business that don't increase with an increase in minimum wage. Minimum wage workers aren't building Subway businesses, taking away their trash or plowing their snow in the winter. There are some jobs in such a business that a minimum wage worker can do and there are some jobs that it might be smarter to pay for better help, like making bread or someone very skilled in food preparation. If the business is located in an area with other fast food competition, it's a good idea to pay someone more who can quickly and accurately run a cash register.

The bottom line is, there are so many other expenses that dampen the cost of a minimum wage increase that it can't be considered the same percentage increase in the cost of doing business, so it can't change the price of the product they are selling that same percentage of increase as a minimum wage increase.

Why is such simple math so complicated to right-wingers? If you are that dumb, you should never attempt to go into business. Try working in trash removal, but avoid getting caught up in the process!

Do you really need actual data to apply common sense? Subway is a franchise, so there is obviously a franchise fee. Subway claims to be cheaper than most fast food, but the bottom line is the owner will pay Subway so much money to set up a business and purchase everything to run that business from Subway, except expenses like labor, rent, electricity, water, sewage, trash removal, taxes and maintenance costs. Obviously, there is a lot of cost just setting up a Subway business, so part of the cost of doing business is what an investment would yield if you just safely invested the money and didn't use it to set up a business. The person is going to have to rent floor space at a strip mall of a certain size and pay to have it converted into an operational Subway business. I would imagine the person will have to buy all the equipment and supplies from Subway, so as inventory is reduced by sales, that inventory will be replaced. The owner will be billed for the inventory by whatever supplier Subway is using in that area. The owner is also going to get billed for all the other expenses mentioned above and incidental bills, like bookkeeping, replacing lights or hiring a snow plow. There will be costs for unemployment insurance or liability insurance for customers and workmen's compensation. There are plenty of costs in the cost of doing business that don't increase with an increase in minimum wage. Minimum wage workers aren't building Subway businesses, taking away their trash or plowing their snow in the winter. There are some jobs in such a business that a minimum wage worker can do and there are some jobs that it might be smarter to pay for better help, like making bread or someone very skilled in food preparation. If the business is located in an area with other fast food competition, it's a good idea to pay someone more who can quickly and accurately run a cash register.

The bottom line is, there are so many other expenses that dampen the cost of a minimum wage increase that it can't be considered the same percentage increase in the cost of doing business, so it can't change the price of the product they are selling that same percentage of increase as a minimum wage increase.

Why is such simple math so complicated to right-wingers? If you are that dumb, you should never attempt to go into business. Try working in trash removal, but avoid getting caught up in the process!

You opt for being a pompous ass, why am I not surprised?

You opt for being a pompous ass, why am I not surprised?

What make you think there is an example of a Subway business expenses on the internet, fool? I've known a lot of people who run businesses and was involved in three family businesses since I could walk. Only an idiot thinks labor is the only cost of running a restaurant. Visit a Subway and see how many employees are working there!

yes there should be no regulations. Take a look at china. The middle class there is purely and overtly oppressed and the air is toxic. Yes lets look at their model.

OMG the drama queens are running in pairs now. How did we ever survive the first 150 years, or over the centuries for that matter without regulations?

We didn't. This country had regulations from the first.

states had regulations. The federal government issued no regulations until FDR packed the court with his stooges. Prior to that the Supreme Court had overruled every attempt by the federal government to regulate commerce.

Kasich hasn't done shit for Ohio. One of his first acts as governor was to turn down the High Speed Rail Corridor Project, that would have given thousands of Ohioans permanent jobs. He cut tens of millions from schools, forcing layoffs. He's done everything he can to run the state into the ground. Well, what would one expect from a former Lehman Brothers emloyee?

No, it was Obama and Senator Sherrod Brown that brought the auto parts manufacturing jobs to Ohio and got the mill running in Youngstown.

Forum List

Back