Subway founder: Obama has created oppresive regulatory environment

I am not changing the subject, the subject has always been that regulations impact small start ups more than they impact large businesses.

I happen to understand the issue, and have provided my own arguments here, without once reading anything DeLuca actually said other than what is in the OP. In other words, I am agreeing with him, and defending my position, not his. You pointing out that big business benefits from regulation just reinforces my, and DeLuca's, point.

Well, its good to know you haven't even bothered to read the article about the thread you are posting.

Whatever delusional little universe you'd like to create, here you obviously have little understanding of the issue, and have admitted to knowing nothing about franchising, or Deluca.

The facts remain
1. YOU are the one that brought up the regulation to list nutricianal values on a menue.

2. YOU are the one that claimed this was an example of anti-business regulation

3. Subway benefits from the regulation

Return to your home planet before embarrassing yourself any further.

Since I am not defending the article there is no need to read it, is there?

1. The nutritional requirement is part of Obamacare.
  2. How is a requirement to test the calorie content of entire menus not a burden?
  3. Never said it didn't, did I?
If you go back on read the OP you will see that DeLuca said that it would be impossible to start a business like Subway today, which leads me to wonder why you keep pointing out something we both agree on. If you want to argue that these regulations benefit Subway I am sure there are plenty of people around who think that regulations do not help big business.

Since you did not read the article in the OP, I wouldn't think it wise to speculate upon what Deluca said or did not say.

However that doesn't stop you:

The menu labeling requirements are going to require every business that sells prepared food to post nutritional content for everything on their menu. This applies to restaurants, pizza shops, delis, and grocery stores. .......blah, blah, blah...

Perhaps DeLuca is complaining because he actually understands the problems.

So, now we have established that DeLuca is NOT complaining about ALL regulations, and not even regulations that hurt his business, and that you can conveniently choose a topic which is only tangientially related to the topic.

I'd rather focus on the Topic:

Deluca started Subway with less than 50 employees in 1965.
TODAY, Obamacare will no more effect those wishing to begin a store like Deluca's was in 1965 than it did Deluca.

PAYROLL TAXES have changed. Whoever begins a store today, will need to sell goods at a higher price to maintain the same profitability margin Deluca enjoyed in 1965. Of course ALL costs have increased; businesses are still opening

2. How is a requirement to test the calorie content of entire menus not a burden?
If you go back on read the OP you will see that DeLuca said that it would be impossible to start a business like Subway today, which leads me to wonder why you keep pointing out something we both agree on. If you want to argue that these regulations benefit Subway I am sure there are plenty of people around who think that regulations do not help big business.

The fact is the business was first called Subway the exact year the minimum wage in the United States hit it's highest mark in history and it was already a franchise business relying on minimum wage labor.

Subway boasts about it's business expanding in Europe during a recession, with higher minimum wages and universal health care. Why is that?

The fact is that you are full of shit. In 1965 a Curta Calculator sold for $600, which made it a something only a rich man could afford. Today you can buy an iPad for the same amount of money, and it does things no one in 1965 would have dreamed of. You really need learn about technology, it makes a huge difference in the world.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYsOi6L_Pw4]The Astounding Curta Mechanical Calculator - YouTube[/ame]

The man bought his first sub shop in 1965, which was in a bad location. It was in 1968 that he first called his shops Subway and they were called Pete's Subway before then. Pete was the friend who lent him the money to start the business. It was only once the franchise business started that it became profitable.

You don't have the right date and are just talking bullshit as usual.

Well, its good to know you haven't even bothered to read the article about the thread you are posting.

Whatever delusional little universe you'd like to create, here you obviously have little understanding of the issue, and have admitted to knowing nothing about franchising, or Deluca.

The facts remain
1. YOU are the one that brought up the regulation to list nutricianal values on a menue.

2. YOU are the one that claimed this was an example of anti-business regulation

3. Subway benefits from the regulation

Return to your home planet before embarrassing yourself any further.

Since you did not read the article in the OP, I wouldn't think it wise to speculate upon what Deluca said or did not say.

The menu labeling requirements are going to require every business that sells prepared food to post nutritional content for everything on their menu. This applies to restaurants, pizza shops, delis, and grocery stores. .......blah, blah, blah...

Perhaps DeLuca is complaining because he actually understands the problems.

So, now we have established that DeLuca is NOT complaining about ALL regulations, and not even regulations that hurt his business, and that you can conveniently choose a topic which is only tangientially related to the topic.

TODAY, Obamacare will no more effect those wishing to begin a store like Deluca's was in 1965 than it did Deluca.

PAYROLL TAXES have changed. Whoever begins a store today, will need to sell goods at a higher price to maintain the same profitability margin Deluca enjoyed in 1965. Of course ALL costs have increased; businesses are still opening

You keep complaining about me not reading the article, yet you, apparently, did not read the OP.

Anyone else see a pattern here? All of the successful entrepreneurs who went from rags to riches admit they wouldn't have been able to start or build their businesses in the current climate that Obama and the communist liberals have created....

The founder of Subway says there’s no way he could start the sandwich chain today, thanks to the oppressive regulatory environment and Obamacare.

Subway Founder: Subway Would Not Exist If Started Today Due to Government Regulations | Washington Free Beacon

Look at that, a direct quote from DeLuca in the OP that happens to be the title of the article you read. It also happens to be the only thing I ever said he said. The sum of that is that regulations hurt new businesses.

Want to try again?

Last edited:

You keep complaining about me not reading the article, yet you, apparently, did not read the OP.

Anyone else see a pattern here? All of the successful entrepreneurs who went from rags to riches admit they wouldn't have been able to start or build their businesses in the current climate that Obama and the communist liberals have created....

The founder of Subway says there’s no way he could start the sandwich chain today, thanks to the oppressive regulatory environment and Obamacare.

Subway Founder: Subway Would Not Exist If Started Today Due to Government Regulations | Washington Free Beacon

Look at that, a direct quote from DeLuca in the OP that happens to be the title of the article you read. It also happens to be the only thing I ever said he said.

Want to try again?

I don't need to try, I read the entire OP, link and all.

Maybe you should try again.

A little education would clearly benefit you:

President and founder of Subway Fred Deluca described some of the challenges payroll tax increases and Obamacare have presented small business franchisee owners Wednesday on CNBC (view video here).

Deluca said the number one issue facing Subway franchisee owners is how Obamacare will impact their expenses, noting any increase in costs will be passed along to the consumer through higher prices.

- See more at: Founder: Subway Wouldn?t Exist If Started Today Due to Regulations | Washington Free Beacon

I draw the line at spoon-feeding you the video on CNBC.

[

Labor accounts for over 70% of the cost of every product, numskull. Your brain is totally pickled in labor union propaganda.

There's a very good reason those are the only two answers to the question: you asked what difference the cost of the sandwich made. It obviously makes a difference, even to someone as stupid as you.

No, it really doesn't.

Yeah, it really does. Try reading something beside the Daily Worker or your union propaganda.

But you keep telling yourself it is, and how cool it is to cheat working people out of a fair wage and work them harder because that's the REpublican way.

Working people get paid exactly what they have earned, and not a cent less.

They cant even figure out how to make a 12 inch sub 12 inches. :eusa_angel:

[

Labor accounts for over 70% of the cost of every product, numskull. Your brain is totally pickled in labor union propaganda.

There's a very good reason those are the only two answers to the question: you asked what difference the cost of the sandwich made. It obviously makes a difference, even to someone as stupid as you.

No, it really doesn't.

Yeah, it really does. Try reading something beside the Daily Worker or your union propaganda.

But you keep telling yourself it is, and how cool it is to cheat working people out of a fair wage and work them harder because that's the REpublican way.

Working people get paid exactly what they have earned, and not a cent less.

Find me a business that has 70% or more of it's cost of doing business going to labor! You people talk about the UAW and the person selling the car was making more per unit than the workers assembling the car.

And, the founder of Subway has amassed a great fortune by producing fat and salt-laden, mass produced, artificially flavored sandwiches handed out by underpaid teenage workers which even the Earl of Sandwich would refuse.

What's your point?

My point is - you have to change the subject to avoid REALITY.

Why are you attacking their product? Where is your evidence of fat and salt? Furthermore, where does their product rate in comparison with other options (such as McDonald's, Burger King, etc.)?

But finally, and most importantly - what is YOUR point about their product or their business model? Oh, that's right - I forgot. When you get your ass handed to you in a real debate with real facts, you immediately attempt to change the focus to something else (like nutrition :cuckoo:)

yes there should be no regulations. Take a look at china. The middle class there is purely and overtly oppressed and the air is toxic. Yes lets look at their model.

OMG the drama queens are running in pairs now. How did we ever survive the first 150 years, or over the centuries for that matter without regulations?

m197701830037.jpg
Hines.jpg

The truth is, many didn't survive. That's why we have child labor laws and safety regulations.

You have some serious issues to be so willfully blind.

Really? We have a nation of over 300 million people, the greatest superpower in world history, the highest living standard in world history, and our most destitute poverty-stricken live better than over 98% of the world (literally), and you're seriously going to sit here and try to make the claim that "many didn't survive"?

Do you have any idea how absurd you sound? :cuckoo:

And, the founder of Subway has amassed a great fortune by producing fat and salt-laden, mass produced, artificially flavored sandwiches handed out by underpaid teenage workers which even the Earl of Sandwich would refuse.

What's your point?

Planty of people like the sandwiches that Subway sells. Did anyone force you to go there? On the other hand, you and all of Obama's other servile toadies are forcing me to pay for your fascist healthcare system.

Shhhhh! Damn it bripat, Oldguy is trying to change the conversation because the facts are stomping his ideology into the ground. Don't go getting the thread back on track, damn it! It's not fair to the radical ideologists like Old Guy, who put their brainwashed propaganda before facts and reason!

The first time I heard about them, I thought it was a great idea. Bread is what makes the sandwich and that's why the best sub shops had high volume and the high volume gave positive feedback, because the bread was fresher. It's been that way longer than I've been born and those businessmen knew how to get bakeries to keep them supplied with fresh bread.

I don't recall ever buying something personally at Subway, but I've had it delivered to me about a dozen times and I don't like their bread. I like the standard fresh Italian rolls that most sub shops use.

Windbag wants to blow hard about technology, but the fact is when I grew up all the sub shops made a far superior product than you can get today, except in those rare old locations, where they know what works and don't change it. My dorm in college was right next to the business area of town and I would walk a block away avoiding the newer and much larger sub and pizza shop to go to a small old Italian one in the middle of the block. There were only a few booths there, but when people ordered pizza, subs or steaks from all over campus, that's where they ordered them. There was no loyalty involved in selecting him, it was the quality of the product and the newer business worth many times more could never match that quality, which was a half a block away. You would think someone would be smart enough to just watch that old Italian prepare his food and learn from an expert, but businesses do mindless things.

Everyone keeps comparing Obama to commies and to China. Saying this "atmosphere" wont support business.

But I cant help but ask....if thats true, then why is China on schedule to eventually overtake us economically?

... and how cool it is to cheat working people out of a fair wage and work them harder because that's the REpublican way.

If they aren't getting a "fair wage", why do they keep showing up to work? :cuckoo:

Why don't they go find another job? :cuckoo:

Better yet, why don't crying little communist (self-admitted) bitches like you start your own business and pay everyone six-figures, plus a cushy pension, plus cadillac healthcare for them and their entire families? :lol:

Oh, that's right, you're too fucking lazy and too fucking stupid to actually do anything. (And then he wonders why his wages aren't so great... :lmao:).

Everyone keeps comparing Obama to commies and to China. Saying this "atmosphere" wont support business.

But I cant help but ask....if thats true, then why is China on schedule to eventually overtake us economically?

Because they have forced slave labor, giving them a monumental advantage.... (you seriously needed that explained to you?)

The first time I heard about them, I thought it was a great idea. Bread is what makes the sandwich and that's why the best sub shops had high volume and the high volume gave positive feedback, because the bread was fresher. It's been that way longer than I've been born and those businessmen knew how to get bakeries to keep them supplied with fresh bread.

I don't recall ever buying something personally at Subway, but I've had it delivered to me about a dozen times and I don't like their bread. I like the standard fresh Italian rolls that most sub shops use.

Windbag wants to blow hard about technology, but the fact is when I grew up all the sub shops made a far superior product than you can get today, except in those rare old locations, where they know what works and don't change it. My dorm in college was right next to the business area of town and I would walk a block away avoiding the newer and much larger sub and pizza shop to go to a small old Italian one in the middle of the block. There were only a few booths there, but when people ordered pizza, subs or steaks from all over campus, that's where they ordered them. There was no loyalty involved in selecting him, it was the quality of the product and the newer business worth many times more could never match that quality, which was a half a block away. You would think someone would be smart enough to just watch that old Italian prepare his food and learn from an expert, but businesses do mindless things.

So I guess that begs two important questions:

1. Why is Subway thriving?
  2. Why don't you start your own sub shop and show us all how it's done?

(Oh, that's right - communists don't actually DO, they just complain).

Nonsense.

Obama controls the Parasitic Faction which constitutes a clear majority. In our majority rules "democracy" minorities have no rights.

Subway thrives because people are in a hurry and have a taste for shit. It thrives in Europe, regardless of their universal heath care and higher minimum wage. The obvious reason is there is a market to expand in Europe and all the bullshit conservatives bitch about doesn't stop a business from expanding.

Do you think a Subway would thrive in Philly, where the cheese steak was born? You can't buy bad food in downtown Philly and even a street vendor has quality.

I'm happy just going to the quality sub shops that still exist.

Subway thrives because people are in a hurry and have a taste for shit. It thrives in Europe, regardless of their universal heath care and higher minimum wage. The obvious reason is there is a market to expand in Europe and all the bullshit conservatives bitch about doesn't stop a business from expanding.

Do you think a Subway would thrive in Philly, where the cheese steak was born? You can't buy bad food in downtown Philly and even a street vendor has quality.

Fast food places thrive because people want convenience and they want familiarity. I don't much care for fast food, any of it, but when I'm in a strange town I know what I'm getting into at Burger World. I'm not so sure what will happen at Big Daddy's House of Eats, y'know?

That aside, the regulations are stricter in the US than anywhere else in the world. That's why we don't get horsemeat at Burger King.

(Did you know that nearly all cruise ships are registered outside the US?)

If there was more regulation, fewer Americans would fall victim to Subway's tuna sub.

Basic point of free markets, no one must BUY Subway or McD's or Panerra or Chili's or whathaveyou. Shouldn't YOU make the decision to go to the Indian market or sushi bar instead? Why the need to force others?

Fast food places thrive because people want convenience and they want familiarity. I don't much care for fast food, any of it, but when I'm in a strange town I know what I'm getting into at Burger World. I'm not so sure what will happen at Big Daddy's House of Eats, y'know?

That aside, the regulations are stricter in the US than anywhere else in the world. That's why we don't get horsemeat at Burger King.

(Did you know that nearly all cruise ships are registered outside the US?)

The cold cuts that go on subs have unique tastes and many are imported or copied from Europe.

Horsemeat? Are you really so sure about a sandwich called a Whopper? I remember kangaroo meat at Jack in the Box. I remember when they were the only place open late at night and their burger was definitely different in taste.

Forum List

Back