Subway founder: Obama has created oppresive regulatory environment

It's not one of the answers YOU want. It is an answer, though.

Labor is such a minor component in industry that it isn't even funny.

You folks say this until it's used against you, and then you argue the opposite.

Case in point...

One of the BIG leftist talking points about illegal immigration is that if we deported all the illegals the price of a head of lettuce would be $10.

Can't have it both ways, Bro...

Pick a corporation and show us how much the cost of labor is as a percentage of doing business!

Which side of the argument do you want?

The bloated union model side, with a better than 50% cut of the gross?

Or the fresh fruits and vegetables side, with a labor cost of 10%?

You folks say this until it's used against you, and then you argue the opposite.

Case in point...

One of the BIG leftist talking points about illegal immigration is that if we deported all the illegals the price of a head of lettuce would be $10.

Can't have it both ways, Bro...

Pick a corporation and show us how much the cost of labor is as a percentage of doing business!

I'll bet you can't find a business that has 50% of the cost of doing business in labor costs.

$1.00 in 1965 had the same buying power as $7.36 in 2013.

Annual inflation over this period was 4.25%.

$1000 bucks in 1965 = $7,360.00

Anyway, I really have no idea. I would imagine it would depend largely upon where you started the business, what sort of credit rating you had, collateral, business partners, etc.etc.

Frankly, based on the number of Pakistani Immigrants running their own little motels in BFE, I cannot imagine it being too terribly difficult to open a business.

Fine, I will give you $10,000. Guess what, it takes two years to open a ice cream shop in San Francisco, and you have to pay utilities and rent the entire time, as well as apply for the permits, and actually eat. My guess is you couldn't start a business with $50,000 in this city.

I would agree that SF is an expensive city.

If I wanted to start a business, it would be cheaper to move to Oakland.

Good example: Southwest Airlines. Their first flights into the Bay Area were into Oakland. Now they can afford higher priced SF International.

You missed the point, it took two years to get all the licensing and permits from the city and state governments to before they could open, and they still had to pay rent and utilities because, if the inspector had shown up and the freezer didn't work, they wouldn't have gotten a permit. That is the type of climate that progressive Democrats create, that is the type of climate Obama wants to create at the federal level. It is so bad that the city council is trying to figure out a way to trim the process, because it shouldn't take two years to get all the permits.

Excuse me, but it shouldn't take more than one day.

I doubt Southwest ever had a problem affording the landing fees at SFO, what they had a hard time justifying is the competition to other airlines that were protected by the government.

Last edited:
DeLuca, who you speculate "actually understands the problems," made no mention of "menue labeling requirements" that you claim to be a significant cost barrier to business growth.

Frankly, this is no surprise: Subway, a franchise that advertises its healthy menue, would reasonably benefit from a regulation requiring their competitors to display nutricianal information on their menues.

Thus, Deluca and Subway Franchisees are actually BENEFITING from this regulation that did not exist in 1965!

Did you miss the part where he said it would be impossible to start a business like Subway now?

Wanna change the subject, huh.
:eusa_whistle:

Ok, we'll ignore the part where Delcua conveniently avoids mention of regulations that helped Subway, and only discusses regulations that make it more difficult for him to sell his franchise to multiple-store owners.

:eusa_hand:

You seem to believe, without question, whatever anyone says, as long as it fits your narrow dogma.

I am not changing the subject, the subject has always been that regulations impact small start ups more than they impact large businesses.

I happen to understand the issue, and have provided my own arguments here, without once reading anything DeLuca actually said other than what is in the OP. In other words, I am agreeing with him, and defending my position, not his. You pointing out that big business benefits from regulation just reinforces my, and DeLuca's, point.

$1.00 in 1965 had the same buying power as $7.36 in 2013.

Annual inflation over this period was 4.25%.

$1000 bucks in 1965 = $7,360.00

Anyway, I really have no idea. I would imagine it would depend largely upon where you started the business, what sort of credit rating you had, collateral, business partners, etc.etc.

Frankly, based on the number of Pakistani Immigrants running their own little motels in BFE, I cannot imagine it being too terribly difficult to open a business.

Fine, I will give you $10,000. Guess what, it takes two years to open a ice cream shop in San Francisco, and you have to pay utilities and rent the entire time, as well as apply for the permits, and actually eat. My guess is you couldn't start a business with $50,000 in this city.

Two years huh? In every case? Or is that just one case that was made famous by outraged nutters last year? Hmmm?

Nutters always being nutty.

It was made famous by outraged ice cream fans, including quite a few progressives on the city council here. I can guarantee you there are no right wingers on the San Francisco city council. In fact, it is famous for making Barney Sanders look like a right wing nutter, the only group in the world more left wing is the Berkley city council.

And this is bad, why?

Because inflation means you have less purchasing power on the same income?

Except that hyper-inflation never happens because of wages... In fact, quite the reverse, the only time we had serious hyper-inflation in my lifetime was in the 1970's, and wages didn't keep up with inflation.

You reject the built in inflationary price/wage spiral that is one of the main drivers of inflation in Keynesian economic theory while pointing to an example of it? Amazing, I find myself wondering if you are really that stupid, or if you think everyone else is as dumb as you.

By the way, the reason wages did not keep up with prices is because the government stepped in and tried to fix things, yet more proof that Keynesian theories do not work as applied.

Last edited:
That wasn't one of the answers to the question, asshole. It's simple multiple choice.

You obviously don't want to answer it.

Labor accounts for over 70% of the cost of every product, numskull. Your brain is totally pickled in labor union propaganda.

There's a very good reason those are the only two answers to the question: you asked what difference the cost of the sandwich made. It obviously makes a difference, even to someone as stupid as you.

Not every product, there are lots of exceptions to that rule. Unfortunately, fast food, which is labor intensive, is not one of those exceptions.

Can you post evidence a $5 US sandwich costs $10 in Europe?

Can you provide evidence that he said that?

He doesn't have to say it when the fact that it was brought up speaks for itself. Of all the things in the universe, why was that particular thing brought up?

How does it feel to be right-wing scum without the backbone to even try to support your lies?

He brought up that prices in Europe are higher than they are here, which you did not dispute. You then blathered something about wages not being a factor, and he asked how much you would rather pay for a sandwich. It turns out you would rather pay poor workers $5 than rich workers $10, something that did not surprise anyone, even though you think you made a point by claiming the $5 would go to the workers.

I'll bet you can't find a business that has 50% of the cost of doing business in labor costs.

I bet I can find a lot of companies that would love to have labor costs cut down to 50% of their operating cost, care to take me up on it?

Can you provide evidence that he said that?

He doesn't have to say it when the fact that it was brought up speaks for itself. Of all the things in the universe, why was that particular thing brought up?

How does it feel to be right-wing scum without the backbone to even try to support your lies?

He brought up that prices in Europe are higher than they are here, which you did not dispute. You then blathered something about wages not being a factor, and he asked how much you would rather pay for a sandwich. It turns out you would rather pay poor workers $5 than rich workers $10, something that did not surprise anyone, even though you think you made a point by claiming the $5 would go to the workers.

I haven't seen evidence the prices in Europe are any different than here. Some right-wing fool running his mouth isn't evidence. There are over a thousand Subway restaurants in Europe and no one has mentioned their prices being high, based on the people who live there. The difference is, I've looked.

Let's take the UK for example. The minimum wage in the UK is 22.2% higher than ours. The minimum wage in Ireland is higher than ours and you can go down the line of countries in the industrialized world, or the countries of Europe, even though many set minimum wage by collective bargaining agreements and don't have a federal law.

The bottom line is the minimum wage in America is too low and even Canada is higher. If we raised our minimum wage to their level, I would expect prices for fast food to be a little higher, but that only means those workers are making enough to not get social benefits while working and the customers are paying them directly with wages being on a higher plain. That means the difference is totally one of perspective. The prices for Subway aren't higher when their wage base is higher. If someone in the UK is paying 15% more for a sandwich at Subway, why does it bother him if he is a minimum wage worker making 22.2% more than an American worker?

Anyone else see a pattern here? All of the successful entrepreneurs who went from rags to riches admit they wouldn't have been able to start or build their businesses in the current climate that Obama and the communist liberals have created....

The founder of Subway says there’s no way he could start the sandwich chain today, thanks to the oppressive regulatory environment and Obamacare.

Subway Founder: Subway Would Not Exist If Started Today Due to Government Regulations | Washington Free Beacon

Why don't you explain to me why this turd sandwich of a billionaire boasts about how many Subway franchises are happening in Europe, where there is universal health care and higher minimum wages? How do you retards explain the business working there, but claim our fucked up health care system and low minimum wage isn't helping the fast food industry? You pretend you know business, but what do those people buying franchises in Europe see that you fools don't?

You're just assholes who can never have enough given to the rich. You give so much, you make your country poor.

Three new restaurants located in Germany (Meissen, Bielefeld and Worms) recently shared the honour of opening the 1,000th European SUBWAY® store. This fantastic achievement is the result of a great deal of hard work and a massive team effort, and keeps Europe on course with continued development acceleration set to achieve 4,000 stores by 2010, and 10,000 stores by 2020.

SUBWAY® is a very simple operation, involving the lowest investment of any of the major Quick Serve Restaurants. SUBWAY® combines the entrepreneurial spirit of individual franchisees with the power of the brand, and the systems and policies and procedures that come with that. Having a strong foundation of good franchisees is obviously the basis from which we have grown.

Source: 1,000 restaurants across Europe is just the start - SUBWAY Restaurants (Global) Franchise opportunity - Franchise International

entrepreneurial spirit of individual franchisees

Mr. Great Entrepreneur

Smart enough to buy a shit sandwich franchise!

Did you miss the part where he said it would be impossible to start a business like Subway now?

Ok, we'll ignore the part where Delcua conveniently avoids mention of regulations that helped Subway, and only discusses regulations that make it more difficult for him to sell his franchise to multiple-store owners.

You seem to believe, without question, whatever anyone says, as long as it fits your narrow dogma.

I am not changing the subject, the subject has always been that regulations impact small start ups more than they impact large businesses.

I happen to understand the issue, and have provided my own arguments here, without once reading anything DeLuca actually said other than what is in the OP. In other words, I am agreeing with him, and defending my position, not his. You pointing out that big business benefits from regulation just reinforces my, and DeLuca's, point.

Well, its good to know you haven't even bothered to read the article about the thread you are posting.

Whatever delusional little universe you'd like to create, here you obviously have little understanding of the issue, and have admitted to knowing nothing about franchising, or Deluca.

The facts remain
1. YOU are the one that brought up the regulation to list nutricianal values on a menue.

2. YOU are the one that claimed this was an example of anti-business regulation

3. Subway benefits from the regulation

Return to your home planet before embarrassing yourself any further.

Last edited:
That wasn't one of the answers to the question, asshole. It's simple multiple choice.

You obviously don't want to answer it.

Labor accounts for over 70% of the cost of every product, numskull. Your brain is totally pickled in labor union propaganda.

There's a very good reason those are the only two answers to the question: you asked what difference the cost of the sandwich made. It obviously makes a difference, even to someone as stupid as you.

Not sure where you get 70%?

Even claiming restaurant labor costs approach 50% of total costs is ridiculous:

Certain fast food restaurants can achieve labor cost as low as 25 percent, while table service restaurants are more likely to see labor in the 30 percent to 35 percent range.

My guess would be Subway's labor costs are close to 25% (they are not full service restaurants).

I haven't seen evidence the prices in Europe are any different than here. Some right-wing fool running his mouth isn't evidence. There are over a thousand Subway restaurants in Europe and no one has mentioned their prices being high, based on the people who live there. The difference is, I've looked.

Let's take the UK for example. The minimum wage in the UK is 22.2% higher than ours. The minimum wage in Ireland is higher than ours and you can go down the line of countries in the industrialized world, or the countries of Europe, even though many set minimum wage by collective bargaining agreements and don't have a federal law.

The bottom line is the minimum wage in America is too low and even Canada is higher. If we raised our minimum wage to their level, I would expect prices for fast food to be a little higher, but that only means those workers are making enough to not get social benefits while working and the customers are paying them directly with wages being on a higher plain. That means the difference is totally one of perspective. The prices for Subway aren't higher when their wage base is higher. If someone in the UK is paying 15% more for a sandwich at Subway, why does it bother him if he is a minimum wage worker making 22.2% more than an American worker?

The prices everywhere are different than here. Deny that reality if you like, you will just end up looking like the idiot you are.

Well, its good to know you haven't even bothered to read the article about the thread you are posting.

Whatever delusional little universe you'd like to create, here you obviously have little understanding of the issue, and have admitted to knowing nothing about franchising, or Deluca.

The facts remain
1. YOU are the one that brought up the regulation to list nutricianal values on a menue.

Since I am not defending the article there is no need to read it, is there?

1. The nutritional requirement is part of Obamacare.
  2. How is a requirement to test the calorie content of entire menus not a burden?
  3. Never said it didn't, did I?
If you go back on read the OP you will see that DeLuca said that it would be impossible to start a business like Subway today, which leads me to wonder why you keep pointing out something we both agree on. If you want to argue that these regulations benefit Subway I am sure there are plenty of people around who think that regulations do not help big business.

The facts remain

2. How is a requirement to test the calorie content of entire menus not a burden?
If you go back on read the OP you will see that DeLuca said that it would be impossible to start a business like Subway today, which leads me to wonder why you keep pointing out something we both agree on. If you want to argue that these regulations benefit Subway I am sure there are plenty of people around who think that regulations do not help big business.

The fact is the business was first called Subway the exact year the minimum wage in the United States hit it's highest mark in history and it was already a franchise business relying on minimum wage labor.

Subway boasts about it's business expanding in Europe during a recession, with higher minimum wages and universal health care. Why is that?

yes there should be no regulations. Take a look at china. The middle class there is purely and overtly oppressed and the air is toxic. Yes lets look at their model.

OMG the drama queens are running in pairs now. How did we ever survive the first 150 years, or over the centuries for that matter without regulations?

m197701830037.jpg
Hines.jpg

The truth is, many didn't survive. That's why we have child labor laws and safety regulations.

You have some serious issues to be so willfully blind.

Truth is you survived, so all things are possible...

Could you exaggerate more?

How did the world survive before Oblamer, you left that part out...

The facts remain

The fact is the business was first called Subway the exact year the minimum wage in the United States hit it's highest mark in history and it was already a franchise business relying on minimum wage labor.

Subway boasts about it's business expanding in Europe during a recession, with higher minimum wages and universal health care. Why is that?

The fact is that you are full of shit. In 1965 a Curta Calculator sold for $600, which made it a something only a rich man could afford. Today you can buy an iPad for the same amount of money, and it does things no one in 1965 would have dreamed of. You really need learn about technology, it makes a huge difference in the world.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYsOi6L_Pw4]The Astounding Curta Mechanical Calculator - YouTube[/ame]

Forum List

Back