Subway founder: Obama has created oppresive regulatory environment

So gee, REPUBLICAN business owners like to speak out saying how they couldn't start their businesses today??

All I see are cities and states giving huge handouts to any business that wants to relocate there. In my state it is sickening the tax breaks and land deals we give out to these companies.

And they are HUGE companies, ones like Amazon, Boeing, Google, etc...

Indeed, huge corporations should be taxed at levels that encourage them to relocate to Canada or Mexico.

Brilliant!

I really doubt that most of the world's wealthy nations envy our healthcare system and it's costs, nor do they envy American's addiction to unhealthy fast food (which contributes to the high cost of the US's healthcare).!

There are enough patients from those wealthy nations who come to the United States for health care when they can't find it in their own country.

I don't know much about the eating habits of wealthy nations like Brunei, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait and Bahrain, but I can safely say that the fat and sugar content of foods made in wealthy Europe and wealthy America is different ONLY that foods in America are inspected for quality, while in Europe they serve horse meat pretending it's beef.

There is no such thing as "unhealthy food". Grammatically, the do-gooders should know that the words 'healthy" and "unhealthy" refer to PEOPLE; describing food with the same intention should be "wholesome" or "unwholesome".

Nutritionally, only not adhering to moderation is bad for you.

WOW dude, I hope you didn't pay for your education. If you did, ask for your money back.

Oh and while you are waiting, eat only at Mcdonalds, all your meals for a month. Let us know how that works out for you. Remember. Eat McDonalds in moderation. But make sure all you eat is from Mcdonalds. The "wholesome" fast food. Right?

Eating at McDonalds does not make you fat.

And, the founder of Subway has amassed a great fortune by producing fat and salt-laden, mass produced, artificially flavored sandwiches handed out by underpaid teenage workers which even the Earl of Sandwich would refuse.

What's your point?

Hmm..., isn't the salary the same at Subway as it is at Mickey D's, Wendy's, B.K's, and KFC?

Yeah, probably. But, how many of their founders are out publicly moaning about how much regulations have hurt their business?

Could that be because all the people who founded the other companies on that list are dead?

...and the answer was?

From the OP:
Deluca: Payroll tax increases, Obamacare pose challenge to small business - See more at: Founder: Subway Wouldn?t Exist If Started Today Due to Regulations | Washington Free Beacon

New businesses are starting up around here every day and they're "burdened" by those same regulations. Why can some do it and others can't?

Because they are starting with more capital than DeLuca had? Regulations have gotten so bad here that local politicians who are lifelong Progressive tax and spend Democrats are talking about making it easier for new businesses. In other words, just because you are an ignorant fuckwad does not mean everyone is.

...and the answer was?

From the OP:
Deluca: Payroll tax increases, Obamacare pose challenge to small business - See more at: Founder: Subway Wouldn?t Exist If Started Today Due to Regulations | Washington Free Beacon

The payroll tax is where it was when Obama took office, and I've never heard of a sub shop that had more than 50 employees.

Subway is a sub shop, and it employs thousands of people.

[

The streets were full of shot because people rode horses then, moron. Henry Ford put an end to that, not the government. Life expectancy was lower because the state of medical science was much less advanced. You can also thank private business for improving medical science. private business and private charities developed penicillin, the polio vaccine and countless other medicines that extend our lives. We are all richer now because private business invested in technology and our stock of capital and greatly increased the productivity of the worker.

We are all richer because we had a labor movement that fought for worker's rights. We have a higher life expectency because we created medicare to make sure that granny still got medical treatment after business had no more use for her.

Government really does more than send that check to your double-wide, Cleetus.

[
In the past people had a choice of putting their children to work or watching them starve to death. The greatly improved productivity of labor made possible by private investment is what allowed that to end, not child labor laws.

Horseshit. The wealthy would have kept right on using children if people hadn't said no.

This is where your thinking is kind of fucked up. The rich don't allow the rest of us to do anything.

We allow them to be rich.

[

Your theory is a liberal myth. Only morons believe in it. Republicans fucked up nothing. Higher taxes and more government regulations harm our standard of living, so stupid turds like you are the ones fucking it all up.

Actually, we were more prosperous when the wealthy paid their fair share and we had strong regulations on industry.

Historical fact alert: We are not richer because of the labor movement, we are richer because of technology.

As for prosperity, given that the GDP is currently higher than it was at any time in the past when taxes were higher, and that GDP is considered to be the most accurate measurement of prosperity for a country, how the fuck can anyone with a brain believe we are less prosperous now than we were when taxes were higher?

You really should stop reading alternate history until you learn what the word fiction means.

From the OP:

The payroll tax is where it was when Obama took office, and I've never heard of a sub shop that had more than 50 employees.

He's not blaming OBAMA for payroll tax increases since 1965, but he is blaming Obamacare,

and I agree; If Obama care effects only those businesses with more than 50 employees, then I am surprised that a Subway should care. I'd maintain a maximum staff of 49, firing at least one every week just to keep the others on their toes.

You do understand that, if you own more than one Subway, you have to count all the employees together, don't you? Lots of franchisees own more than one store, and anyone that sells food and employs more than 50 people has to comply with the menu regulations of Obamacare, not just the insurance regulations. Lots of progressive business owners have said that it would be impossible to comply with the new labeling requirements and still offer the menu choices they currently do.

NYCarbineer knows this, don't let him fool you into thinking he is telling the truth.

He's not blaming OBAMA for payroll tax increases since 1965, but he is blaming Obamacare,

and I agree; If Obama care effects only those businesses with more than 50 employees, then I am surprised that a Subway should care. I'd maintain a maximum staff of 49, firing at least one every week just to keep the others on their toes.

You do understand that, if you own more than one Subway, you have to count all the employees together, don't you? Lots of franchisees own more than one store, and anyone that sells food and employs more than 50 people has to comply with the menu regulations of Obamacare, not just the insurance regulations. Lots of progressive business owners have said that it would be impossible to comply with the new labeling requirements and still offer the menu choices they currently do.

NYCarbineer knows this, don't let him fool you into thinking he is telling the truth.

Ok, I agree with you, but then you're saying that the context of the OP is not from someone simply wanting to open one store, which is what seemed to be the case in 1965, but from the POV of someone wanting to ADD AN ADDITIONAL store.

If a subway store opens and it is the frachisee's first or fiftyith store: the fact is they effect employment exactly the same way.

Frankly, I'm somewhat more encouraged to see that Mr. Fatcat Franchisee would have more difficulty adding to his empire than Mr. Retired Franchisee, that simply wants to manage a single store and use the proceeds to supplement his meger retirement income.

Perhaps Deluca's real bitch is that it is harder for him to market his franchise to first-time investors (or worse, those willing to open independant shops) than to those who already own multiple stores.

[

The streets were full of shot because people rode horses then, moron. Henry Ford put an end to that, not the government. Life expectancy was lower because the state of medical science was much less advanced. You can also thank private business for improving medical science. private business and private charities developed penicillin, the polio vaccine and countless other medicines that extend our lives. We are all richer now because private business invested in technology and our stock of capital and greatly increased the productivity of the worker.

We are all richer because we had a labor movement that fought for worker's rights. We have a higher life expectency because we created medicare to make sure that granny still got medical treatment after business had no more use for her.

Government really does more than send that check to your double-wide, Cleetus.

Horseshit. The wealthy would have kept right on using children if people hadn't said no.

This is where your thinking is kind of fucked up. The rich don't allow the rest of us to do anything.

We allow them to be rich.

[

Your theory is a liberal myth. Only morons believe in it. Republicans fucked up nothing. Higher taxes and more government regulations harm our standard of living, so stupid turds like you are the ones fucking it all up.

Actually, we were more prosperous when the wealthy paid their fair share and we had strong regulations on industry.

Historical fact alert: We are not richer because of the labor movement, we are richer because of technology.

As for prosperity, given that the GDP is currently higher than it was at any time in the past when taxes were higher, and that GDP is considered to be the most accurate measurement of prosperity for a country, how the fuck can anyone with a brain believe we are less prosperous now than we were when taxes were higher?

You really should stop reading alternate history until you learn what the word fiction means.

Exactly! When an employer (i.e. the owner of a company) spends thousands (millions??) of dollars to be more productive should such owner share the fruits of his expenses with unions who spent not a penny, with employees whose job becomes less dirty, less demanding, less stressful, while they spent not a single penny to achieve that? And if that new innovation (paid for solely by the employer/investor) results in being able to employ fewer people, should the investor/employer keep on employees made redundant by that advancement?

To put in perspective: Should we still pay horse drivers, street sweepers and scientists who study the mating habits of dodo birds and passenger pigeons?

From the OP:

Subway is a franchise.

Obviously they have a Headquarters and currently there are 32 openings for these positions. DAI is a privately held company and is not traded on any stock exchange. Each franchise is individually owned and operated.

https://re22.ultipro.com/FRA1004/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx

Last edited:

Ok, I agree with you, but then you're saying that the context of the OP is not from someone simply wanting to open one store, which is what seemed to be the case in 1965, but from the POV of someone wanting to ADD AN ADDITIONAL store.

If a subway store opens and it is the frachisee's first or fiftyith store: the fact is they effect employment exactly the same way.

Frankly, I'm somewhat more encouraged to see that Mr. Fatcat Franchisee would have more difficulty adding to his empire than Mr. Retired Franchisee, that simply wants to manage a single store and use the proceeds to supplement his meger retirement income.

Perhaps Deluca's real bitch is that it is harder for him to market his franchise to first-time investors (or worse, those willing to open independant shops) than to those who already own multiple stores.

The menu labeling requirements are going to require every business that sells prepared food to post nutritional content for everything on their menu. This applies to restaurants, pizza shops, delis, and grocery stores. The way they are currently written every business that sells food will have to list each possible sandwich, with each possible variation of the contents, separately, and they will have to have their food items tested periodically to make sure their menu is accurate.

This will cost thousands of dollars, and inconvenience the retired guy running a couple of stores to supplement his income a lot more than it will the fatcat franchisee who spread the cost over a larger customer base. Even then, quite a few pizza places and grocery stores have said they will have to offer fewer choices unless the rules are changed.

Perhaps DeLuca is complaining because he actually understands the problems.

Subway is a franchise.

Obviously they have a Headquarters and currently there are 32 openings for these positions. DAI is a privately held company and is not traded on any stock exchange. Each franchise is individually owned and operated.

DeLuca had $1000 bucks when he started his first store, what kind of business could you start now with that much money?

The menu labeling requirements are going to require every business that sells prepared food to post nutritional content for everything on their menu. This applies to restaurants, pizza shops, delis, and grocery stores. The way they are currently written every business that sells food will have to list each possible sandwich, with each possible variation of the contents, separately, and they will have to have their food items tested periodically to make sure their menu is accurate.

This will cost thousands of dollars, and inconvenience the retired guy running a couple of stores to supplement his income a lot more than it will the fatcat franchisee who spread the cost over a larger customer base. Even then, quite a few pizza places and grocery stores have said they will have to offer fewer choices unless the rules are changed.

DeLuca, who you speculate "actually understands the problems," made no mention of "menue labeling requirements" that you claim to be a significant cost barrier to business growth.

Frankly, this is no surprise: Subway, a franchise that advertises its healthy menue, would reasonably benefit from a regulation requiring their competitors to display nutricianal information on their menues.

Thus, Deluca and Subway Franchisees are actually BENEFITING from this regulation that did not exist in 1965!

Subway is a franchise.

DeLuca had $1000 bucks when he started his first store, what kind of business could you start now with that much money?

$1.00 in 1965 had the same buying power as $7.36 in 2013.

Annual inflation over this period was 4.25%.

$1000 bucks in 1965 = $7,360.00

Anyway, I really have no idea. I would imagine it would depend largely upon where you started the business, what sort of credit rating you had, collateral, business partners, etc.etc.

Frankly, based on the number of Pakistani Immigrants running their own little motels in BFE, I cannot imagine it being too terribly difficult to open a business.

Just curious, if I were to open each separate store under a completely separate entity (ie an entirely new business) would that mean I could count each company's tally of employees separately for purposes of Obamacare or would the thief in the White House call that a loophole and close it?

DeLuca, who you speculate "actually understands the problems," made no mention of "menue labeling requirements" that you claim to be a significant cost barrier to business growth.

Frankly, this is no surprise: Subway, a franchise that advertises its healthy menue, would reasonably benefit from a regulation requiring their competitors to display nutricianal information on their menues.

Thus, Deluca and Subway Franchisees are actually BENEFITING from this regulation that did not exist in 1965!

Did you miss the part where he said it would be impossible to start a business like Subway now?

Subway is a franchise.

$1.00 in 1965 had the same buying power as $7.36 in 2013.

Annual inflation over this period was 4.25%.

$1000 bucks in 1965 = $7,360.00

Anyway, I really have no idea. I would imagine it would depend largely upon where you started the business, what sort of credit rating you had, collateral, business partners, etc.etc.

Frankly, based on the number of Pakistani Immigrants running their own little motels in BFE, I cannot imagine it being too terribly difficult to open a business.

Fine, I will give you $10,000. Guess what, it takes two years to open a ice cream shop in San Francisco, and you have to pay utilities and rent the entire time, as well as apply for the permits, and actually eat. My guess is you couldn't start a business with $50,000 in this city.

Just curious, if I were to open each separate store under a completely separate entity (ie an entirely new business) would that mean I could count each company's tally of employees separately for purposes of Obamacare or would the thief in the White House call that a loophole and close it?

Ask a lawyer, not me.

Forum List

Back