Supreme Court rejects multibillion-dollar Purdue Pharma opioid settlement that shielded Sackler family

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a controversial settlement that would have sent billions of dollars to treatment programs and victims of the nation’s opioid epidemic but also shielded the Sackler family from future lawsuits despite the fact that it made its fortune selling prescription opioids.

Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote the opinion for a 5-4 majority.

I am torn on this one. I see the need to not let the slacker family off scott free, but I also see the need to get something finished and not let it drag on for 10 more years.

Interesting that it was Kavanaugh along with Roberts , Sotomayor and Kagan that were the 4 against.

Those who watch closely claim these Trump appointees to SCOTUS are actually really good judges ... you can tell because they piss-off both sides of the aisle ...

I haven't been following this case ... but the Slackers need to bring all their assets to bankruptcy court ... or be subject to lawsuits ... that's the deal, lay it all on the table and we'll protect you ... those ten's of billions of dollars in their Swiss Bank Account needs to be submitted to the court ... NOW ...

The Supreme Court on Thursday rejected a controversial settlement that would have sent billions of dollars to treatment programs and victims of the nation’s opioid epidemic but also shielded the Sackler family from future lawsuits despite the fact that it made its fortune selling prescription opioids.

I am torn on this one. I see the need to not let the slacker family off scott free, but I also see the need to get something finished and not let it drag on for 10 more years.

Interesting that it was Kavanaugh along with Roberts , Sotomayor and Kagan that were the 4 against.
SCOTUS has become just another criminal branch of the federal government. :(

Yesterday's censorship approval shows it in spades.

SCOTUS has become just another criminal branch of the federal government. :(

Yesterday's censorship approval shows it in spades.

You don't think opium is addictive? ... how odd ... I can assure you through personal experience, it's VERY addictive ... Lord have mercy it's addictive ... anyone holding right now? ...

You don't think opium is addictive? ... how odd ... I can assure you through personal experience, it's VERY addictive ... Lord have mercy it's addictive ... anyone holding right now? ...
I smoked opium when in Vietnam decades ago, but never became addicted.

OxyContin is not opium. Like Fentanyl it is synthetic, properly called an opioid, not opium.

The larger point is that the Court played the fascist role and excused the Sackler family for their well documented crimes in promoting under fraud OxyContin.

The court is every bit as corrupt as the Sackler family and the medical industrial complex.

Shielding the Sacker Family was bogus. There was and is no reason to protect them. They owned the company, their company handed out an addictive drug like it was candy. Hundreds of Thousands of lives were destroyed and the Sackler's should have pay for that.

I smoked opium when in Vietnam decades ago, but never became addicted.

OxyContin is not opium. Like Fentanyl it is synthetic, properly called an opioid, not opium.

The larger point is that the Court played the fascist role and excused the Sackler family for their well documented crimes in promoting under fraud OxyContin.

The court is every bit as corrupt as the Sackler family and the medical industrial complex.

My claim was opium was addictive ... this was commercial stuff from Iran ... damn it was good ..., REALLY R EAAALLLALLAY good ... better than good cocaine ... I only claim I want to be addicted ... not that I ever was ...

Did you read the OP? ... the court rejected the proposal to excuse the Slackers ...

"Opium cures everything but there's no cure for opium" -- ancient Persian proverb ...

Those who watch closely claim these Trump appointees to SCOTUS are actually really good judges ... you can tell because they piss-off both sides of the aisle ...

I haven't been following this case ... but the Slackers need to bring all their assets to bankruptcy court ... or be subject to lawsuits ... that's the deal, lay it all on the table and we'll protect you ... those ten's of billions of dollars in their Swiss Bank Account needs to be submitted to the court ... NOW ...

I do not disagree with this in principle, but I also see the point of view that doing that will take another decade while those who could use the help are not getting it

Actually, the SCOTUS did just the opposite, they are not letting the Slacker family slide, that is the whole gist of this ruling

Sackler. Their name is Sackler not “slacker”.

I do not disagree with this in principle, but I also see the point of view that doing that will take another decade while those who could use the help are not getting it

Those who need help will never receive it ... not while conservatives see addiction as a character flaw ... the Sackler money is just to offset all the funeral costs ... building residential drug treatment facilities will make us long for a mere $30 trillion national debt ...

Do you remember the outcry some 30-40 years ago about the lack of pain mitigation in the health care industry ... this is the answer ... the Sacklers lied about the addictiveness so they could make more profit ... that's a felony ... taking their money is just the beginning ... next we should take their lives ...

Fixing the problem bankrupts the country ... or "print" money to pay for it all ... and it's just getting worse with all these new chemicals available ...

The sacklers should be fined into abject poverty and left to rot. They are single handedly responsible tens of thousands of deaths and billion in damages.

Take it all.

I see what you did there! Not cute!

Those who need help will never receive it ... not while conservatives see addiction as a character flaw ... the Sackler money is just to offset all the funeral costs ... building residential drug treatment facilities will make us long for a mere $30 trillion national debt ...

Do you remember the outcry some 30-40 years ago about the lack of pain mitigation in the health care industry ... this is the answer ... the Sacklers lied about the addictiveness so they could make more profit ... that's a felony ... taking their money is just the beginning ... next we should take their lives ...

Fixing the problem bankrupts the country ... or "print" money to pay for it all ... and it's just getting worse with all these new chemicals available ...

Addictiveness for some. I take opioids and all they do is deaden the pain, I don't get high off them. Hell I even need higher doses to get even the pain kill effect.

Now muscle relaxants and me, While they aren't addictive to me they make me feel 5 seconds behind the rest of the world.

My claim was opium was addictive ... this was commercial stuff from Iran ... damn it was good ..., REALLY R EAAALLLALLAY good ... better than good cocaine ... I only claim I want to be addicted ... not that I ever was ...

Did you read the OP? ... the court rejected the proposal to excuse the Slackers ...

"Opium cures everything but there's no cure for opium" -- ancient Persian proverb ...
You're right, and I must stand corrected. I saw that somewhere else. I had misinterpreted or misread the OP here.

Forum List

Back