Supreme Court shoots itself in the foot.

Crepitus

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2018
The supreme court has just handed out a ton of free ammunition, both for expansion of the court and limiting of it's "shadow docket".

Personally I was firmly against expanding the court. I see that leading to a never ending battle and a court with dozens of possibly even hundreds of justices that can't decide on anything. However this latest shenanigan has pushed me in the other direction. I'm still against it, but I see no alternative to it unless we want to let the current appointees, some of them blatantly illegal BTW, ignore and or circumvent the constitution and pervert our great nation into something it was never meant to be.

The supreme court has just handed out a ton of free ammunition, both for expansion of the court and limiting of it's "shadow docket".

Personally I was firmly against expanding the court. I see that leading to a never ending battle and a court with dozens of possibly even hundreds of justices that can't decide on anything. However this latest shenanigan has pushed me in the other direction. I'm still against it, but I see no alternative to it unless we want to let the current appointees, some of them blatantly illegal BTW, ignore and or circumvent the constitution and pervert our great nation into something it was never meant to be.

Same old same old butthurt cause Court doesnt do as they want,,,......and of course now we must do something anything no matter how radical and destructive

The Court has also handed the Dems a victory in 2022 and 2024

Dems will run on “Republicans are going to end Roe v Wade”
While they have always threatened it, now it is a reality.

Dems will get out the vote

I agreed that we need ed to expand the court by 2 to provide balance. One for the justice that Obama should have been allowed to fill and the one to replace Ginsburg since Republicans lied. However two decisions tell me that we need to remove power from the far right wing fascists that inhabit the court now. One was the decisio0n on voting rights and the other on the Texas abortion law. Both were extreme positions. In addition their decisions on immigration law show a clear bias. They allowed Trump to do whatever he wanted on immigration but they are not treating Biden the same way. Clearly they treat Presidents with a R in front of their name differently than one with a D in front of them..

What about the last decision do you think circumvents the constitution?

I agreed that we need ed to expand the court by 2 to provide balance. One for the justice that Obama should have been allowed to fill and the one to replace Ginsburg since Republicans lied. However to decisions tell me that we need to remove power from the far right wing fascists that inhabit the court now. One was the decisio0n on voting rights and the other on the Texas abortion law. Both were extreme positions.
That's a damn good communist idea you have there, well thought out.

Don't like the outcome? Change the dynamics so that you can override what you don't agree with. Stalin would be proud, comrade

The problem is that it was never the intent of the Framers that the Supreme Court address such divisive issues, it was meant to be a creature of the states rarely heard from.

But when the rights and protected liberties of the people became the spoils of political war – also contrary to the original intent of the Framers – citizens disadvantaged by partisan conflict had no other recourse but to seek relief in the courts, ultimately the Supreme Court.

In essence, the Court was never designed to accommodate such a burdensome workload as to determining the rights and protected liberties of the people – the conservative justices’ act of cowardice and abdication concerning the Texas anti-choice law is the product of that systemic failure and breakdown.

Article III of the Constitution gives Congress full and sole authority to determine all manner of issues concerning the Federal courts, reflecting the will of the people.

Our nation has already been perverted to something it was never meant to be.
The issue is that we have a Supreme Court that clearly does not reflect the will of the people; a Court whose composition is the result of a non-democratic process – a president elected by the states, not the people, making Supreme Court appointments; a Senate elected by the states, not the people, that confirms those appointments.

The people have the right through the legislative process to address the issue of a Supreme Court that does not reflect the will of the people.

The issue is that we have a Supreme Court that clearly does not reflect the will of the people; a Court whose composition is the result of a non-democratic process – a president elected by the states, not the people, making Supreme Court appointments; a Senate elected by the states, not the people, that confirms those appointments.

The people have the right through the legislative process to address the issue of a Supreme Court that does not reflect the will of the people.

a president elected by the states, not the people,

Pretty much always been that way.

There is a legitimate gripe that the left has for how McConnell and the Republicans handled the Garland nom
Correct.

McConnell’s refusal to confirm President Obama’s appointment ran contrary to the will of the people; an act by a Senate not reflecting the will of the people, a Senate whose composition was determined by a non-democratic process.

The special election in Georgia last year is a perfect example of how non-democratic the Senate actually is, and how the Senate – as is the case with the president and Supreme Court appointments – do not reflect the will of the people.

In essence, the voters of Georgia, just a few million voters in one state, were determining the political future for the entire country, for every American, absent the consent of the residents of the other 49 states.

Something is indeed wrong, and it’s not just the Supreme Court; no, the United States is not a democracy, but it was also not meant to be anti-democratic.

That article is so flawed the writer should be ashamed to call himself a reporter.

But anyway, court packing will never happen.

not the job of SCOTUS to project the will of the people,,

so your premise is a lie,,

That article is so flawed the writer should be ashamed to call himself a reporter.

But anyway, court packing will never happen.

The republicans already packed the courts.

Adding to the court isn't packing it.

Packing it is filling it with only republicans or only democrats.

Right now it's packed with republicans. And the republicans violated their duty according to the constitution to get it packed as badly as it is.

there are 6 republicans and 3 democrats on the Supreme Court.

If adding to the court is packing it then all the presidents who added seats to the Supreme Court packed the court and the court we now have is a packed court.

In fact, adding seats to the court will unpack the court that the republicans packed.

Please, stop with the drama and exaggerations.

Forum List

Back