Switzerland issues every adult a gun and trains them how to use it: Switzerland has lowest gun-relat

NOLA Gator

Jun 17, 2016
Gun Ownership in Switzerland

The Swiss army has long been a militia trained and structured to rapidly respond against foreign aggression. Swiss males grow up expecting to undergo basic military training, usually at age 20, after which Swiss men remain part of the "militia" in reserve capacity until age 30 (or age 34 for officers). Each such individual is required to keep his army-issued personal weapon (the 5.56x45mm Sig 550 rifle for enlisted personnel and/or the 9mm SIG-Sauer P220 semi-automatic pistol for officers, medical and postal personnel) at home.

th

"Switzerland issues every adult a gun and trains them how to use it: Switzerland has lowest gun-relat"

This fails as a false comparison fallacy.

Switzerland can't be compared to other countries, the United States in particular.

"Switzerland issues every adult a gun and trains them how to use it: Switzerland has lowest gun-relat"

Switzerland can't be compared to other countries, the United States in particular.

Agreed, they are a different culture with completely different demographics. That fact also bolsters the argument that guns aren't the problem in America, but rather a symptom of a larger disease.

A typical hysterical scream by a typical hysterical liberal fanatic: "NO IT ISN'T!!! NO IT ISN'T!!! WAAHHHHH!"

No attempt to explain why (because he can't).

But Britain, France, Australia and Japan can.......I wonder why that is?

Britain actually is very similar to the U.S. Have you ever been there? It's almost like you're just visiting another state. France, not quite as much, but with their increasing immigration from the third world they are slowly beginning to mirror us as well, at least in the larger cities. The rural areas are still very French. I don't know much about Australia, never having been there. Japan certainly cannot be compared to the U.S. or any other nation, really.

Responsible gun ownership works.

I lived in Arlington County in the early 1990s. Arlington and Alexandria combined would have single digit murders. DC would have 700. Guess which one was the "gun free zone?"

Gun Ownership in Switzerland

The Swiss army has long been a militia trained and structured to rapidly respond against foreign aggression. Swiss males grow up expecting to undergo basic military training, usually at age 20, after which Swiss men remain part of the "militia" in reserve capacity until age 30 (or age 34 for officers). Each such individual is required to keep his army-issued personal weapon (the 5.56x45mm Sig 550 rifle for enlisted personnel and/or the 9mm SIG-Sauer P220 semi-automatic pistol for officers, medical and postal personnel) at home.

th
Sadly the Swiss are unlikely to consider you Swiss or provide you with a working visa. We could however start a campaign, "Send this Southern Boy to Swiss Camp". Post your picture and we'll ask for donations to buy you a passport and a one way ticket to Geneva. Sorry, we can't ask for money to send your '72 F 150 with the gun rack and Confederate Flag Sticker too.

Can we adopt their higher education standards first? And THEN the weapons thingy?
They are educating by example. Demonstrating that the need for self-defense, and the defense of their country, is a universal requirement, and that respect for the tools to secure it is an important part of being a nation.

I fully agree. We should definitely practice this as an integral part of our own education. The sooner the better.

Nice spin job...I'm referring to higher education or college if you're still confused

Can we adopt their higher education standards first? And THEN the weapons thingy?
They are educating by example. Demonstrating that the need for self-defense, and the defense of their country, is a universal requirement, and that respect for the tools to secure it is an important part of being a nation.

I fully agree. We should definitely practice this as an integral part of our own education. The sooner the better.

Can we adopt their higher education standards first?

I think the failure of our education system is something people on all points of the political spectrum in this country can agree on; it's the proposed solutions that are the problem. Liberals tend to take the argument that education is underfunded, which historically, it isn't. We actually spend more money now than we ever have. Conservatives tend to blame the teachers unions and too many liberals in academia. Likewise, an over exaggerated fear.

What it really comes down to at the end of the day is that Americans simply don't value education the way most of our First World neighbors do. We talk a good game, but really don't walk it. American culture is what needs to change. Parents need to stop thinking it's the government's responsibility to see their children are educated and they need to stop treating schools like their personal day care center where they drop their kids off to before they go to work.

is this yet another ad hoc fallacy jones?...

Nice spin job...I'm referring to higher education or college if you're still confused
I knew you were trying to change the subject. So I brought the discussion back to the topic of the thread. No charge. :biggrin:

So, if it is a different culture then how can a "Weapon of War" be responsible in the USA?

I knew you were trying to change the subject. So I brought the discussion back to the topic of the thread. No charge. :biggrin:

Oh you thought I wanted this to be a discussion on college? No, I'm saying both are good ideas...Why not both?

The Swiss have what a “well regulated militia” looks like. The obstacles to getting a weapon beyond what is issued are quite steep.

Yeah...did you think about "beyond what is issued" before you typed it...apparently not....."What is issued" is a select fire, fully automatic military rifle...in all of their homes by law...so if they had a nut job he wouldn't have to buy a rifle, the government gives him one....

Oh yeah...thanks NOLA.....and they are exactly "weapons of war," in every home.......and they have a low gun crime rate....

Forum List

Back