Teaching Slavery in School--Sensitivity v. Erasing History

In my field there's debate about the line between being appropriately sensitive and erasing so much of our American history when it comes to teaching slave songs, African-American Spirituals, etc. I will weigh in fwiw and then I would value your thoughts.

A few schools have gotten dinged for having students sing the old slave song, "Pick a Bale of Cotton". I can understand this because the original lyrics were derogatory and the origins are uncertain--if it originated with slaves or slave owner. At any rate the original lyrics included the offensive "N" word at several points.

However.

I am a STRONG proponent of teaching kids African-American Spirituals for so many reasons. The primary one is: you cannot teach the history of popular American music without it. As I tell my students: if it weren't for the Spiritual, I don't know what you would be hearing on the radio right now, but it wouldn't be whatever you're listening to--unless you listen to bluegrass or classical music. The Spiritual was that pivotal in the development of everything that came after.

I think it's important that our students understand that, of all races and cultures. And the songs are exquisite. This clip shows how prominently the river Jordan features in Spirituals, how Spirituals popularized the backbeat into American music, and how tightly many slaves clung to music--how much it meant to them--when their lives were deeply difficult.

To wrap it up, my students leave elementary school (hopefully) understanding that Spirituals--not derogatory songs written ABOUT slaves but the songs of the slaves themselves--were songs of trial, tribulation, but also, great hope and clever coded messages. They know they built the foundation of American popular music.

I admit to being flummoxed as to why we'd want to bury this history for any of our students, even though the history is admittedly difficult, even tragic.

Teaching about slavery is important, since slaves have been around for many thousands of years. It probable was started during the tribal times and slave positions were filled by those you took in raids. I can not think of a Nation in History that did not have them. Slave are known as many names, apprentice is one used. What is important if how people become slaves. They lose their freedom because no laws
protect their freedoms and they no way of protecting themselves from Governments take freedom away.

Liberals are destroying everything about this country.

If the consensus now is that a white teacher cannot teach the import and beauty of the African-American Spiritual because she is white and that is cultural appropriation.....

I will be beyond words.

But I'm really hoping not even USMB will be that crazy

I believe if a white person accurately researches issues about blacks, then they are capable of speaking to issues or history in the black community. But most whites here running their mouths about black issues are inaccurate even to the point of lying. Then when a black person tries to provide accuracy they want to tell us how wrong we are when we are not. At that point they get told how they are white and really cannot tell blacks what we don't know about ourselves. Then they start saying what you did in your first paragraph.

The prime example of an inaccurate opinion about blacks made by a white person is this one:

The bad thing about the Negro Spirituals, is that the people that know them are all dying off and the youngers don't care to learn them.

That is simply not true. And I think I can say that without considering any dispute from whites in this forum.

We as black people have long known how spirituals were and are used. Kudos to you for learning that so thoroughly.

In my field there's debate about the line between being appropriately sensitive and erasing so much of our American history when it comes to teaching slave songs, African-American Spirituals, etc. I will weigh in fwiw and then I would value your thoughts.

A few schools have gotten dinged for having students sing the old slave song, "Pick a Bale of Cotton". I can understand this because the original lyrics were derogatory and the origins are uncertain--if it originated with slaves or slave owner. At any rate the original lyrics included the offensive "N" word at several points.

However.

I am a STRONG proponent of teaching kids African-American Spirituals for so many reasons. The primary one is: you cannot teach the history of popular American music without it. As I tell my students: if it weren't for the Spiritual, I don't know what you would be hearing on the radio right now, but it wouldn't be whatever you're listening to--unless you listen to bluegrass or classical music. The Spiritual was that pivotal in the development of everything that came after.

I think it's important that our students understand that, of all races and cultures. And the songs are exquisite. This clip shows how prominently the river Jordan features in Spirituals, how Spirituals popularized the backbeat into American music, and how tightly many slaves clung to music--how much it meant to them--when their lives were deeply difficult.

To wrap it up, my students leave elementary school (hopefully) understanding that Spirituals--not derogatory songs written ABOUT slaves but the songs of the slaves themselves--were songs of trial, tribulation, but also, great hope and clever coded messages. They know they built the foundation of American popular music.

I admit to being flummoxed as to why we'd want to bury this history for any of our students, even though the history is admittedly difficult, even tragic.

The bad thing about the Negro Spirituals, is that the people that know them are all dying off and the youngers don't care to learn them. It's a damn shame.

Um. I'm old school, MM. I try my darnedest to get my students to enjoy everything I teach. But sometimes, you just have to "take your vitamins". So, my students learn Spirituals. Too bad, so sad

You teach any Jewish songs about slaves.

meh bunch of BS. First off "Rule Britannia" dates alongside Anglo-Slavery. "britains never will be slaves". Look at Ireland. A lot more humane than Catholic nation slavery. 2nd the British laws from Jamaican slavery govern the colony and then the United States slavery, and that's how heritage ties in heavily to Britain for defenders. There aren't two identical slave systems anyway.

However.

all songs ------with reasonable context DISCUSSED -----so long as they
ain't too perverse

I'm with you. And I don't mean to sound like a complete old lady but....many, many songs on the Top 100 chart are entirely too perverse to present to my elem. students. Sadly

However.

The bad thing about the Negro Spirituals, is that the people that know them are all dying off and the youngers don't care to learn them. It's a damn shame.

Um. I'm old school, MM. I try my darnedest to get my students to enjoy everything I teach. But sometimes, you just have to "take your vitamins". So, my students learn Spirituals. Too bad, so sad

You teach any Jewish songs about slaves.

Uhh. No. I'm an American teacher, so I prefer to teach songs from our culture, that impacted our culture. I'm not going to hunt up some "Jewish songs about slaves" just to make sure our kids are getting equal-opportunity "songs about slaves". That seems....dubious at best.

We do sing songs in Hebrew, however. Once in a great while.

meh bunch of BS. First off "Rule Britannia" dates alongside Anglo-Slavery. "britains never will be slaves". Look at Ireland. A lot more humane than Catholic nation slavery. 2nd the British laws from Jamaican slavery govern the colony and then the United States slavery, and that's how heritage ties in heavily to Britain for defenders. There aren't two identical slave systems anyway.

Wonderful.

I'll let teachers in the UK cover that history. I teach here in the USA.

However.

Teaching about slavery is important, since slaves have been around for many thousands of years. It probable was started during the tribal times and slave positions were filled by those you took in raids. I can not think of a Nation in History that did not have them. Slave are known as many names, apprentice is one used. What is important if how people become slaves. They lose their freedom because no laws
protect their freedoms and they no way of protecting themselves from Governments take freedom away.

I don't disagree with you and in fact have big issue with Leftists who want to pretend that America is the worst offender in this dept. But in case you can't pick this up from my avatar and the OP, I'm a music teacher. So I'm not going to veer WAAAAYYY off course in my classroom and teach the entire history of worldwide slavery, which would hardly be appropriate.

If the consensus now is that a white teacher cannot teach the import and beauty of the African-American Spiritual because she is white and that is cultural appropriation.....

I will be beyond words.

I believe if a white person accurately researches issues about blacks, then they are capable of speaking to issues or history in the black community. But most whites here running their mouths about black issues are inaccurate even to the point of lying. Then when a black person tries to provide accuracy they want to tell us how wrong we are when we are not. At that point they get told how they are white and really cannot tell blacks what we don't know about ourselves. Then they start saying what you did in your first paragraph.

The prime example of an inaccurate opinion about blacks made by a white person is this one:

The bad thing about the Negro Spirituals, is that the people that know them are all dying off and the youngers don't care to learn them.

That is simply not true. And I think I can say that without considering any dispute from whites in this forum.

We as black people have long known how spirituals were and are used. Kudos to you for learning that so thoroughly.

I don't know if I can speak to black "issues"--I don't know what it's like to be black. I don't know if the history of the African-American Spiritual is what I would call an "issue", as I think of an issue more like an ongoing problem. I think the history and import of the Spiritual is almost indisputable--sure, we can argue which ones are more prominent and details, but the fundamentals I don't see as being worth disputing. I guess that's why I don't have a problem presenting these songs and history to my students, and wish younger teachers didn't either. Because it's important to pass this on. In my humble opinion.

Since when was the public school system allowed to teach the truth?

~S~

~S~

Sparky guess who is trying to obfuscate the truth now, for fear of "cultural appropriation" and not being "culturally sensitive" and just fear in general?

Oh. Far Leftists, that's who.

Thankfully that remains a small minority still, however. We just have to stand strong in the midst of the few snowflakes who haven't completely melted down yet.

However.

I think in chorus we sang a round that included part of "pick a bale of cotton," but it sure didn't involve the N word. You have your elementary students sing the N word?

However.

I think in chorus we sang a round that included part of "pick a bale of cotton," but it sure didn't involve the N word. You have your elementary students sing the N word?

Most stupid question of the decade. Consider the source.

However.

Yes?

However.

Yes?

Blather rinse repeat.

However.

Never. But that's not a Spiritual at any rate--it's a work song. Totally different category. "Pick a Bale of Cotton" was in all probability not even written by slaves but owners or overseers. For all the years that song has been on the circuit that I know about, the N word has been removed from the song. I still would probably not sing it in 2019 however.

I will be beyond words.

I don't know if I can speak to black "issues"--I don't know what it's like to be black. I don't know if the history of the African-American Spiritual is what I would call an "issue", as I think of an issue more like an ongoing problem. I think the history and import of the Spiritual is almost indisputable--sure, we can argue which ones are more prominent and details, but the fundamentals I don't see as being worth disputing. I guess that's why I don't have a problem presenting these songs and history to my students, and wish younger teachers didn't either. Because it's important to pass this on. In my humble opinion.

To me it's more than important, it's our heritage.

You're all ridiculous I think. Some taboo and close off academics and some portion of your brain?
Now treating All people and Minorities is Solved because we killed millions in a war between States, think about it.

When the hell is white slavery? Right now. Well, minorities completely despise me, show off lies happening, in my face, check. Rub it in. Being insult throwers with no ego left for myself whatsoever, that's 2010, Check. Make up any power they can make for themselves, check. Make anything where I'm culpable where they didn't have any culpability, check. The general public thinking I will accept less than full reparations?

The moral show-offs who never even twitched the close-vested notion of being "Phased" by Anything while calling me Young Foolish and mistaken in "hitting on" women and how the cops are helping this transformation in morals, and nobody's sorry about any loser's ego trip. Ten people repeating insanity and the accusation of immorality makes a broken society, period.

Last edited:

~S~

Sparky guess who is trying to obfuscate the truth now, for fear of "cultural appropriation" and not being "culturally sensitive" and just fear in general?

Oh. Far Leftists, that's who.

Thankfully that remains a small minority still, however. We just have to stand strong in the midst of the few snowflakes who haven't completely melted down yet.

No Sue the far left is not doing that. Conservatives have been the one trying to alter textbooks and I think you need to understand what cultural appropriation actually is and why it has been an issue.

However.

I don't disagree with you and in fact have big issue with Leftists who want to pretend that America is the worst offender in this dept. But in case you can't pick this up from my avatar and the OP, I'm a music teacher. So I'm not going to veer WAAAAYYY off course in my classroom and teach the entire history of worldwide slavery, which would hardly be appropriate.

That excuse used by the right is bullshit. America has a constitution and generations of people who want to teach how this nation was founded on freedom and equality. But it wasn't. Furthermore it is documented that the system of slavery in the transatlantic slave trade was the most oppressive ever. The statement by Stubbs is disingenuous and even if it was completely factual, every single one of those slaveholding societies were destroyed.

Now as you teach music, do you teach the messages sent in white spirituals?

Forum List

Back