Teen Sues Parents for Cash and College Tuition. Does She Have a Case?

Those closest to her seem to think she's great.

At Morris Catholic, Kathleen Smith in the Office of Campus Ministry wrote an open letter in December calling Rachel Canning “a good person” and “one with a very bright future ahead.”

Smith said she was aware of problems between Rachel Canning and her parents and that they are no longer paying her tuition, but said she is now staying “with a wonderful family.”

Other students have been raising funds to pay her tuition, Smith said.

Rachel Canning “is still highly regarded and cared for here at Morris Catholic,” Smith wrote.

NJ teen suing parents for tuition in court today | NJ.com

The young woman in question, I think, has that sociopathic ability to persuade others that darkness is light.

Reminds of a story on Dr. Phil with parents going through a similar problem with their 17-year old daughter. So she gets sent to a boot camp in Idaho for troubled youth, seduces the camp director, then the company lawyer, and the latter helps her sue Dr. Phil and her parents.

Such personalities cannot be told "no" without an irresistible urge to retaliate and hurt the perceived 'enemy.'

A teenager in the US who is suing her parents for cash after leaving home has lost the first round of her legal case.

Rachel Canning, 18, has demanded $650 (£390) in weekly child support from her parents at a court in New York.

The cheerleader also wanted her private school tuition fees, a college fund and her lawyers' fees paid.

Her parents said their daughter voluntarily left home because she did not like their house rules.
Retired police chief Sean Canning and his wife, Elizabeth, said they had asked their daughter to be respectful at home, keep curfews, help with chores and end her relationship with her boyfriend.

At a family court hearing in New York on Tuesday, Miss Canning, from New Jersey, was told her parents would not have to pay child support or her legal costs.

Judge Peter Bogaard warned that her suit could lead to a "slippery slope", asking: "Are we going to open the gates for 12-year-olds to sue for an Xbox? For 13-year-olds to sue for an iPhone?"
The school has waived its fees until the case is settled.

Miss Canning claimed her parents threw her out of the family home in November when she turned 18 because they didn't like her boyfriend.

She claimed they refused to pay for her university education, even after she received acceptance letters for several places.

In court papers, she accused her parents of being abusive, contributing to an eating disorder and pushing her to get a basketball scholarship.

The Cannings, who have two other daughters, said they helped her through the eating disorder and paid for a private school where she would play less basketball than at a state-run school.
Miss Canning is asking to be declared non-emancipated from her parents which means she is dependent on her parent's support.

"We love our child and miss her," Mr Canning told New Jersey newspaper the Daily Record before the hearing.

"It's killing me and my wife. We have a child we want home. We're not draconian and now we're getting hauled into court.

"She's demanding that we pay her bills but she doesn't want to live at home and she's saying, 'I don't want to live under your rules.'"

Miss Canning has been living with the family of her best friend and is thought to have been offered a scholarship worth $20,000 (£12,000) to study biomedical engineering at the University of Vermont.

The case will return to court on 22 April.

BBC - Newsbeat - Teenager Rachel Canning sues parents for child support

The expression on her face speaks volumes.

At Morris Catholic, Kathleen Smith in the Office of Campus Ministry wrote an open letter in December calling Rachel Canning “a good person” and “one with a very bright future ahead.”

Smith said she was aware of problems between Rachel Canning and her parents and that they are no longer paying her tuition, but said she is now staying “with a wonderful family.”

Rachel Canning “is still highly regarded and cared for here at Morris Catholic,” Smith wrote.

Assholes are often friends with other assholes. And my mother (before she wen't on her meds) was ALWAYS cool and calm when in public, however when at home when we did something wrong she would rant for days (all in private).

Assholes are often friends with other assholes. And my mother (before she wen't on her meds) was ALWAYS cool and calm when in public, however when at home when we did something wrong she would rant for days (all in private).
deja vu !
are we related?

deja vu !
are we related?

Probably not, but its a common model of mother. She was good at certain things, but batshit crazy when it came to others, i.e. I got yelled at if I got below a 90% on a test in grade school.

She should have counted her blessings!

Lacrosse? A free car? Choices to go to various universities? I don't think she understood how stinking fortunate she was, or how ungrateful. It may be better for her to learn the hard way and suffer a bit, so that she may become wise and understand the world for what it is.

Lacrosse? A free car? Choices to go to various universities? I don't think she understood how stinking fortunate she was, or how ungrateful. It may be better for her to learn the hard way and suffer a bit, so that she may become wise and understand the world for what it is.

It would be more learning for her to do without. Nothing more real world than that. She needs to know that there are people less fortunate than her out there.

It would be more learning for her to do without. Nothing more real world than that. She needs to know that there are people less fortunate than her out there.

The lawyer supposed family friend didn't make any money off her, so he will likely shove her out into a homeless shelter before long.

Forum List

Back