Tennessee governor signs law to outlaw certain types of rioting, vandalism, and violence

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) quietly signed a bill into law ramping up punishments for certain kinds of protests, including losing the right to vote.

The GOP-controlled state General Assembly passed the measure last week during a three-day special legislative session and was signed without an announcement earlier this week.

Among other things, the new law stipulates that people who illegally camp on state property will face a Class E felony, punishable by up to six years in prison. People found guilty of a felony in Tennessee lose the right to vote.

The new law also slaps a mandatory 45-day sentence for aggravated rioting, boosts the fine for blocking highway access to emergency vehicles and enhances the punishment for aggravated assault against a first responder to a Class C felony.
Lee and state Republicans have defended the legislation, pointing to fires that were set inside and outside a courthouse in May, though Lee has acknowledged there were portions of the bill he “would have done differently.”

AND

“This bill increases the punishment for illegal camping on state property from a Class A misdemeanor to a Class E felony with a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 days imprisonment and an order of restitution for any property damage or loss incurred as a result of the offense,” the summary of HB 8005 reads.

“This bill generally prohibits the release of a person arrested for any of the following offenses for 12 hours from the time of the arrest: camping on state property, vandalism of government property, rioting, aggravated rioting, inciting a riot, or obstructing a highway.”

The measure comes after demonstrations have been carried out for months in front of the state capital building. The demonstrations are a part of nationwide unrest that followed the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police in May.

In addition, the new law mandates a 45-day jail sentence to those guilty of aggravated riot, higher fines for blocking emergency vehicles on highways and Class C felony for assaults on first responders.

The Democrats, Media, and the ACLU are all up in arms about this, but the premise is peaceful protest is fine but rioting is not. I don't know all the details, but this sounds like a good idea to me.

The only way to control or solve a criminal problem is a strong enough deterrent. A strong enough deterrent works every time it's tried.

Sounds to me the actions of a bunch of cowards. If this is a good thing why the need to do it without letting people know?

The rioters, looters, murderers, pillagers are cowards and completely worthless.

They aren't the ones hiding behind closed doors. They are willing to stand up for their beliefs.........unlike these politicians.
you people LOVE criminals for some reason
EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott
etc etc etc --every one a jackass thug criminal

Sounds to me the actions of a bunch of cowards. If this is a good thing why the need to do it without letting people know?

The rioters, looters, murderers, pillagers are cowards and completely worthless.

They aren't the ones hiding behind closed doors. They are willing to stand up for their beliefs.........unlike these politicians.
EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

Police officers are not prosecutors and executioners.

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

Neither am I, but if somebody presents me with the threat of serious bodily harm or death, I have the right to be a prosecutor and executioner. It's called our law.

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

Neither am I, but if somebody presents me with the threat of serious bodily harm or death, I have the right to be a prosecutor and executioner. It's called our law.

Which wasn't the case in most of those cases. Most of those were even minor infractions.

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

they didn't prosecute or execute anyone --you are full of shit

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

Which wasn't the case in most of those cases. Most of those were even minor infractions.

Most of them were unintentional accidents. Every one could have been avoided if the suspect obeyed all orders of the police officers. That's what starts these problems 99.9% of the time. When a person resists arrest, what do you want to police to do, tell him perhaps another time when he's in a better mood? What if a suspect runs? Do you want the cops to just stand there and watch him go?

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

you make yourself look very stupid
HERE is the definition of execute--which you obviously don't know

Tennessee Gov. Bill Lee (R) quietly signed a bill into law ramping up punishments for certain kinds of protests, including losing the right to vote.

The GOP-controlled state General Assembly passed the measure last week during a three-day special legislative session and was signed without an announcement earlier this week.

Among other things, the new law stipulates that people who illegally camp on state property will face a Class E felony, punishable by up to six years in prison. People found guilty of a felony in Tennessee lose the right to vote.

The new law also slaps a mandatory 45-day sentence for aggravated rioting, boosts the fine for blocking highway access to emergency vehicles and enhances the punishment for aggravated assault against a first responder to a Class C felony.
Lee and state Republicans have defended the legislation, pointing to fires that were set inside and outside a courthouse in May, though Lee has acknowledged there were portions of the bill he “would have done differently.”

AND

“This bill increases the punishment for illegal camping on state property from a Class A misdemeanor to a Class E felony with a mandatory minimum sentence of 30 days imprisonment and an order of restitution for any property damage or loss incurred as a result of the offense,” the summary of HB 8005 reads.

“This bill generally prohibits the release of a person arrested for any of the following offenses for 12 hours from the time of the arrest: camping on state property, vandalism of government property, rioting, aggravated rioting, inciting a riot, or obstructing a highway.”

The measure comes after demonstrations have been carried out for months in front of the state capital building. The demonstrations are a part of nationwide unrest that followed the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police in May.

In addition, the new law mandates a 45-day jail sentence to those guilty of aggravated riot, higher fines for blocking emergency vehicles on highways and Class C felony for assaults on first responders.

The Democrats, Media, and the ACLU are all up in arms about this, but the premise is peaceful protest is fine but rioting is not. I don't know all the details, but this sounds like a good idea to me.
Very good job by Governor Lee :smoke:

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

they were resisting arrest
here, all explained here
people ''kill'' people
PARENTS ''kill'' their children
very intelligent pilots ''kill' hundreds
etc etc

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

they didn't prosecute or execute anyone --you are full of shit
....execute--you say--THIS is an execution .THIS undeniably makes your argument very stupid and wrong
BLACK man shoots WHITE 5 year old--in the HEAD--at POINT BLANK range--THAT'S an execution----MUCH MUCH different than what the cops do
...you make yourself look sooooooo stupid by using idiotic words like ''execute'''
Man charged after North Carolina 5-year-old shot in the head while playing outside

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

Most of them were unintentional accidents. Every one could have been avoided if the suspect obeyed all orders of the police officers. That's what starts these problems 99.9% of the time. When a person resists arrest, what do you want to police to do, tell him perhaps another time when he's in a better mood? What if a suspect runs? Do you want the cops to just stand there and watch him go?

Depends on what he was wanted for. Michael Slager is in prison for shooting a man in the back over a broken tail light. He had his car. Yes, let him run off as opposed to shooting him in the back.

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

Exactly. That's what has happened in many cases.

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

Depends on what he was wanted for. Michael Slager is in prison for shooting a man in the back over a broken tail light. He had his car. Yes, let him run off as opposed to shooting him in the back.
I agree-----so you have a grand total of --------------------------ONE!!!

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

hahahahhahahahah--you just proved YOURSELF wrong---you said the OTHERS were executed--now you bring up the Slager case!!!!!
..you fkd up!!!!
--yes, that was wrong--and it was NOTHING like the others
HAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHA

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

----babbling crap you are--that's why you people will continue to have problems----no, that's not what happened in many cases

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

I agree-----so you have a grand total of --------------------------ONE!!!

We have a lot. Breonna Taylor was killed over a police officers lie and nothing still has been done about that.

Police officers killed Elijah McClain simply walking home from the store. Nothing has been done.

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

hahahahhahahahah--you just proved YOURSELF wrong---you said the OTHERS were executed--now you bring up the Slager case!!!!!
..you fkd up!!!!
HAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHA

They indeed were.

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

----babbling crap you are--that's why you people will continue to have problems----no, that's not what happened in many cases

I'm not having problems. Not everything is about me.

EGarner
MBrown
GFloyd
ASterling
KScott

..you fkd up!!!!
HAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHA

They indeed were.
because the Great pknopp says so
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Forum List

Back