Tennessee Titans' Jurrell Casey says he plans to keep protesting and will 'take my fine' in upcoming

shockedcanadian

Diamond Member
Aug 6, 2012
I knew it was going to happen. Wait until they get yardage penalties though, he won't be a fan of the coaches, fans or sports bettors if he pulls that too often.

Tennessee Titans' Jurrell Casey says he plans to keep protesting and will 'take my fine' in upcoming NFL season: report

Tennessee Titans' Jurrell Casey says he plans to keep protesting and will 'take my fine' in upcoming NFL season: report

Despite a recently-imposed NFL rule regarding players and personnel behavior during the national anthem, one Tennessee Titans player reportedly says he’ll “take a fine this year” and continue to “protest during the flag.”

NFL defensive end Jurrell Casey intends to keep holding up his fist in protest following the conclusion of the Star Spangled Banner, like he did during the 2017 season, regardless of the fines that may come his way, he told CNN Sport while attending an event in London on Wednesday.

“I'm going to take my fine,” Casey told the outlet. “It is what it is, I ain't going to let them stop me from doing what I want to do. If they want to have these battles between players and organizations, this is the way it's going to be.”

I admire his convictions to speak his mind. Not sure what he is protesting. I would argue his methods are not helpful. Time and place. As you can see by this story breaking in July; an NFL player has a megaphone at their disposal whenever they want one; even this largely nondescript player is getting headlines... You can make your point in a way that still gets a significant amount of attention and not disrupt the ticket buying fan's enjoyment of the game, hurt your team on the field, and still be a champion to those, like me, who feel you have every right to say what your want despite what dumbasses like Lora Engram have to say.

I knew it was going to happen. Wait until they get yardage penalties though, he won't be a fan of the coaches, fans or sports bettors if he pulls that too often.

Despite a recently-imposed NFL rule regarding players and personnel behavior during the national anthem, one Tennessee Titans player reportedly says he’ll “take a fine this year” and continue to “protest during the flag.”

NFL defensive end Jurrell Casey intends to keep holding up his fist in protest following the conclusion of the Star Spangled Banner, like he did during the 2017 season, regardless of the fines that may come his way, he told CNN Sport while attending an event in London on Wednesday.

“I'm going to take my fine,” Casey told the outlet. “It is what it is, I ain't going to let them stop me from doing what I want to do. If they want to have these battles between players and organizations, this is the way it's going to be.”
Good for him. This is what you call a man that backs up what he believes in.

Good for him. This is what you call a man that backs up what he believes in.

We'll see how strong his convictions are when they start costing him cash. Then we will find out what he's truly made of.

Well...there's something to be said for "standing up for what you believe in," but what if you believe in something stupid...? Or if your position in life makes the fact that YOU are protesting something of a joke...?

Three rules for protesters: Your action should be LEGAL, PEACEFUL, and have some logical connection to whatever it is that you are protesting. Two out of three, I suppose.

Guessing that this football player is protesting the harsh treatment of Black Yoots at the hands of police...what has he done to reduce the violent crime rate by Black Yoots? If the police didn't feel like they were in a War Zone while patrolling "Black" neighborhoods, they would be less harsh with the locals, and shooting them would probably be less of a Thing. (Although. Black Yoots killing other Black Yoots surpasses by a factor of a thousand the number of Black Yoots who are WRONGFULLY shot by cops).

Wouldn't it be better and more relevant to protest in front of a precinct office? At the site of a wrongful police shooting? In a community where it's a problem?

It is instructive to see the effect of mountains of money being showered down upon athletes, actors, and other entertainers who are altogether average and unremarkable, but for their unique set of skills. Were this person not a professional football player, who would care if he protested in front of the sink where he is washing dishes in a restaurant?

Who cares what he thinks about anything outside of what he does on the Field?

His life of great privilege is more tenuous, I suspect, than he believes. One injury, one pissed off owner, and he is back at Burger King.

Casey has been a Pro Bowl defensive lineman for the last three season. He signed a four year $60 million contract last season and $40 million is guaranteed. He has never kneeled for the anthem, however he has raised a fist after the anthem for awhile, not sure how long.

I have no issue with his exercising his right to free speech, while I may disagree with his message, we are a nation that values our rights and we need to protect his right to voice his opinion as well as others rights to disagree with his opinion.

Forum List

Back