Tesla Motors' Success Gives Electric Car Market a Charge

So one success out of how many failures?

How much money has Obama wasted with this program? How much of that money has done nothing but line the pockets of his contributors?

Must be pretty shitty living the life of a conservative, never trying because they equate failure with failure, ignoring the fact that if you never fail, you will never succeed, and that there is no success without failure.

If we followed the conservative mindset, avoid failure at all costs, we'd have never had any innovation or discovery at all.

"If at first you don't succeed, quit and never try it again."

Try as I might, I simply can not find in the Consitution where it says that the Presdient has the authority to fund private companies with tax dollars.

I don't mind, in fact I encourage, people investing their own money into companies to produce new technology. But I fail to see where the Constitution authorizes the use of Tax dollars to do it.

How much money has Obama wasted with this program? How much of that money has done nothing but line the pockets of his contributors?

Must be pretty shitty living the life of a conservative, never trying because they equate failure with failure, ignoring the fact that if you never fail, you will never succeed, and that there is no success without failure.

If we followed the conservative mindset, avoid failure at all costs, we'd have never had any innovation or discovery at all.

Try as I might, I simply can not find in the Consitution where it says that the Presdient has the authority to fund private companies with tax dollars.

I don't mind, in fact I encourage, people investing their own money into companies to produce new technology. But I fail to see where the Constitution authorizes the use of Tax dollars to do it.

Since when does the constitution have to authorize it?

It has supercar body, interior, and performance....I'm still pissed Pub pundits ruined the Volt and Fisker. Pub dupes!

ya dang pubs refused to buy a piece of shit car

Volt- MT Car of the Year- You're a perfect dupe. Pubs are rich a-holes who dupe you...you're not in the Big Oil club, just a brainwashed dupe of Rush Seanbeck. Everything you know is wrong. lol

That infrastructure is already being built. At Portland State University they have a bunch of plugins in parking spaces for the EV's. Saw my first Tesla S there. Volts, Leafs, and a cute little car, the Think, are there are a daily basis.

Elon Musk is also building his own charging network. And soon, restaurant owners are going to realize that having such a charging station, or stations, will bring them a lot more business.

As far as the grid goes, we need to replace it in any case. It is ancient, wastes too much energy, and vulnable to hostile acts.

Plugin parking spaces are popping up around San Fran as well.

I heard the answer to the charging issue is eventually to drive into a station and just swap out batteries. That's a long time coming, no doubt.

Why not build a couple of charging stations at each gas station?
We could do that but then the car has to sit at the plug for some period of time to recharge the battery. The idea is that one day we just have battery swap stations were we pull in, the mechanics pops the spent battery out and puts a charged one in. In and out in minutes. But as I said, I think that's a long time down the road. In the meantime, we'll just have to plug in and wait.

LOL

It's that pessimistic cloud of negativity which hangs over conservative's heads that encourages them to ridicule anything new and applaud the initial failing steps towards success.

I just have one big question:

Considering the aging and rapidly deteriorating electric grid of California, what happens when "affordable" electric cars overwhelm the distribution capacity for electricity?

Teslas are so expensive now, that the amount is negligible.

1. Build new infrastructure.
2. The cars price will go down and the tech will move down to cheaper electric cars.

Great. Who is going to pay for the New Infrastructure?

Answer: the poor people who cannot afford Teslas and who drive old gas powered vehicles.

Glad to see this. I can't figure out why they're so damnably expensive, though. It has to be a hell of a lot cheaper to manufacture a battery than it is to manufacture an internal combustion engine.

I expect electric cars for we peons will be coming soon enough.

What you think is obvious, isn't. An internal combustion engine holds more power per pound then does any battery. It costs more to construct a batter of the same power. And batteries are not necessarily cleaner considering how much of our electricity is made from coal. Also the chemicals and semi precious metals make electric cars unaffordable to the average Joe. Natural gas would be a better solution then batteries. Until super capacitors can be made, if ever.

The energy equation for EVs is far less favorable than the one for gas powered vehicles.

I just have one big question:

Considering the aging and rapidly deteriorating electric grid of California, what happens when "affordable" electric cars overwhelm the distribution capacity for electricity?

Teslas are so expensive now, that the amount is negligible.

1. Build new infrastructure.
2. The cars price will go down and the tech will move down to cheaper electric cars.

Great. Who is going to pay for the New Infrastructure?

Answer: the poor people who cannot afford Teslas and who drive old gas powered vehicles.

You pay for power lines that you NEVER get power from.

What is your fucking point? Taxes don't always benefit YOU. Infrastructure is infrastructure.

Oh please you just described liberals....for every failure they propose a govt program to stop it.......they still dont understand why people get laid off or businesses go under

Workers celebrate the completion of the first Tesla Model S cars at a factory in Fremont, California.

Photograph by Paul Sakuma, AP

Josie Garthwaite

for National Geographic

Published May 21, 2013

Tesla Motors, the Silicon Valley electric carmaker, is riding high. The company reported its first ever quarterly profit this month and saw its stock price shoot upwards of $97 per share—an all-time high. At more than $10 billion, the company's market value is now greater than that of established automakers Fiat and Mitsubishi Motors.

And for icing on the cake, Tesla's first made-from-scratch car, the electric Model S sedan, has received a rare near-perfect score from Consumer Reports. Noting the difficulty of starting a successful auto company, evoltven Bill Ford, the executive chairman of Ford Motor Co., commented, "My hat's off to them."

The company is preparing to take advantage of its popularity on Wall Street by raising an estimated $648 million by selling a combination of shares and debt-like securities, to be repaid in 2018. Tesla CEO Elon Musk is set to personally purchase $100 million of shares in the offering. Tesla will curry public favor by using part of the proceeds to prepay some of the $465 million U.S. government loan that helped establish manufacturing of the Model S.

GOOD GOING TELSA MOTORS! Keep leading the way to clean electric cars!!! The loan program worked out wonderfully and the Obama admin has chosen right!

Telsa x next year should be even better. 300 miles? Pretty good. ;) Now we just have to get that charging time down and get private corporations to build charge stations=success.

We republicans should get on board.

It doesn't matter since china controls 15 of the 17 rare earth metals..attrition by numbers. Rare earth metals that are part of the process of electric motors, etc/

Last edited:

Since when does the constitution have to authorize it?

How about since it was written?

Have you ever actually taken 30 minutes to sit down and actually read, word for word, the Constitution and think about what is actually says? Or are you one of those that only know the parts that you want to know.. and think you know what it says?

It has supercar body, interior, and performance....I'm still pissed Pub pundits ruined the Volt and Fisker. Pub dupes!

ya dang pubs refused to buy a piece of shit car

Volt- MT Car of the Year- You're a perfect dupe. Pubs are rich a-holes who dupe you...you're not in the Big Oil club, just a brainwashed dupe of Rush Seanbeck. Everything you know is wrong. lol

i own a 2010 dodge with a cummins engine that was truck of the year whats your point.

Oh please you just described liberals....for every failure they propose a govt program to stop it.......they still dont understand why people get laid off or businesses go under

ya second coldest spring on record. We;ve had maybe one week of shirtsleeve weather here in Idaho, but don't let that get in the way of a good global warming story.
but them dems like that fat ass al roker can always fall back on the tried and true dem research of if you don't believe us you're stupid.

Ever hear of the transcontinental railroad? Perhaps you should learn a bit about the history of this nation.

Plugin parking spaces are popping up around San Fran as well.

I heard the answer to the charging issue is eventually to drive into a station and just swap out batteries. That's a long time coming, no doubt.

Why not build a couple of charging stations at each gas station?
We could do that but then the car has to sit at the plug for some period of time to recharge the battery. The idea is that one day we just have battery swap stations were we pull in, the mechanics pops the spent battery out and puts a charged one in. In and out in minutes. But as I said, I think that's a long time down the road. In the meantime, we'll just have to plug in and wait.

The fast charge stations that Elon Musk is installing give an 80% charge in about an hour. That was the reason for the idea of restuarants installing them. On a trip, where you would need to use a recharging station, stopping to eat would also be your refueling station for your vehicle.

Glad to see this. I can't figure out why they're so damnably expensive, though. It has to be a hell of a lot cheaper to manufacture a battery than it is to manufacture an internal combustion engine.

What you think is obvious, isn't. An internal combustion engine holds more power per pound then does any battery. It costs more to construct a batter of the same power. And batteries are not necessarily cleaner considering how much of our electricity is made from coal. Also the chemicals and semi precious metals make electric cars unaffordable to the average Joe. Natural gas would be a better solution then batteries. Until super capacitors can be made, if ever.

What the hell???? this dont even make sense...... A electric motor is way more powerful, horse power to horse power then the internal combustion engine. Why do you think frieght trains run on Diesel Electric?

Because of the inherent inefficienies of the Carnot cycle, an electric car getting its electricity from a coal burning generator will put less CO2 into the air than one using petrol. And, again, the efficiency of having one's own source of fuel, solar, will play a big factor in people buying these vehicles.

As far as the present cost of the battery goes, that will come down as the technology improves.

Forum List

Back