Tesla Motors' Success Gives Electric Car Market a Charge

OK, old rocks. Here's my challenge to you

lets say that a gas powered car can go 400 miles on 20 gallons of gas and gas costs $3/gal. OK? that means you can go 400 miles for $60 dollars. Ok so far?

Now, you tell me how many charges your electric will need to go 400 miles and, using current electric rates, how much you will spend to go 400 miles.

you don't even need to include the motel charges since you need a couple overnight charges to go that far.

It cant be answerd as of today, not until all states start taxing drivers per mile, to make up for the lost taxes on fuel sales.

OH, so the answer is to tax people more :cuckoo:

isnt that always the answer

lets say that a gas powered car can go 400 miles on 20 gallons of gas and gas costs $3/gal. OK? that means you can go 400 miles for $60 dollars. Ok so far?

Now, you tell me how many charges your electric will need to go 400 miles and, using current electric rates, how much you will spend to go 400 miles.

you don't even need to include the motel charges since you need a couple overnight charges to go that far.

It cant be answerd as of today, not until all states start taxing drivers per mile, to make up for the lost taxes on fuel sales.

Advocating more and more taxation.. go figure...

On the contrary, that is Elon Musk's next project, the Tesla X. That man has a real reputation for bringing far out dreams to fruitation. Space X, Solar City, and Tesla Motors. All major success stories in spite of the odds in each market.

So I would expect to see the Tesla X within five years, an EV within the budget of the middle class.

OK, enjoy those dreams. and watch your tax dollars make these guys rich.

If the prospects are so wonderful why aren't private investors jumping on it? I'll tell you why, because private investors don't like to lose money---because its THEIR money.

Electric Vehicle Efficiency Analysis

Energy Efficiency

According to the EPA energy efficiency sticker shipping with early production models of the Tesla Roadster, the Tesla Roadster is rated at 32 kilowatt hours (kWh) per 100 miles for city driving and 33 for highway. We have measured the actual efficiency we get driving a 2008 Tesla Roadster (produced in early 2009) and our 2002 Toyota RAV4-EV by measuring energy into each vehicle (in kilowatt-hours) using a dedicated electric meter on each charger and dividing by the number of miles driven in each vehicle, averaging over hundreds of miles of mixed city/highway driving. The Roadster comes in around 33 kWh per 100 miles and the RAV4-EV at 32 kWh per 100 miles. We will therefore pick 32.5 kWh per 100 miles as a reasonable estimate of real-world EV efficiency.

If you burn gasoline completely under perfect conditions, it generates energy in the form of heat equivalent to about 36.4 kWh per gallon. So an EV requires the energy equivalent of about 0.89 gallons of gas to go 100 miles, or about 112 miles per gallon equivalent.

The Tesla S can go about 250+ on a single charge. Using one of the fast chargers, it can take an 80% charge in about an hour. And Elon Musk is in the process of placing these chargers on major routes across the nation.

Of course, you could have used that thing you have been posting on to learn all of this for yourself. But people like you are inherently lazy.

Elon Musk TED Talk (Video)

I actually did look it up. what they did not say is whether the AC or heater was running and what that would do to the calculations.

you do realize that running a car AC on a 90 degree day or the heater on a 25 degree day takes a lot of electricity don't you?

But even if it comes out about equal, the EV costs a lot more to buy and to make my 400 mile trip you would have to sit for an hour at the charging station after going a little over half way.

I would love for you to be right, but with current technology the math just does not work.

So, you are taking that 400 mile trip without stopping to eat?

The present price of the Tesla S is competative with the other high end luxury sedans. And it's rating as far as comfort and driving exceed those of most of those sedans.

And I posted the equivelent energy usage already. The equivelent of over 100 mpg on a luxury sedan is doing pretty damned good.

On the contrary, that is Elon Musk's next project, the Tesla X. That man has a real reputation for bringing far out dreams to fruitation. Space X, Solar City, and Tesla Motors. All major success stories in spite of the odds in each market.

So I would expect to see the Tesla X within five years, an EV within the budget of the middle class.

If the prospects are so wonderful why aren't private investors jumping on it? I'll tell you why, because private investors don't like to lose money---because its THEIR money.

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSLA Stock Quote - Tesla Motors Inc. Stock Price Today (TSLA:NASDAQ) - MarketWatch

Electric Vehicle Efficiency Analysis

Energy Efficiency

According to the EPA energy efficiency sticker shipping with early production models of the Tesla Roadster, the Tesla Roadster is rated at 32 kilowatt hours (kWh) per 100 miles for city driving and 33 for highway. We have measured the actual efficiency we get driving a 2008 Tesla Roadster (produced in early 2009) and our 2002 Toyota RAV4-EV by measuring energy into each vehicle (in kilowatt-hours) using a dedicated electric meter on each charger and dividing by the number of miles driven in each vehicle, averaging over hundreds of miles of mixed city/highway driving. The Roadster comes in around 33 kWh per 100 miles and the RAV4-EV at 32 kWh per 100 miles. We will therefore pick 32.5 kWh per 100 miles as a reasonable estimate of real-world EV efficiency.

If you burn gasoline completely under perfect conditions, it generates energy in the form of heat equivalent to about 36.4 kWh per gallon. So an EV requires the energy equivalent of about 0.89 gallons of gas to go 100 miles, or about 112 miles per gallon equivalent.

The Tesla S can go about 250+ on a single charge. Using one of the fast chargers, it can take an 80% charge in about an hour. And Elon Musk is in the process of placing these chargers on major routes across the nation.

Of course, you could have used that thing you have been posting on to learn all of this for yourself. But people like you are inherently lazy.

Elon Musk TED Talk (Video)

I actually did look it up. what they did not say is whether the AC or heater was running and what that would do to the calculations.

you do realize that running a car AC on a 90 degree day or the heater on a 25 degree day takes a lot of electricity don't you?

But even if it comes out about equal, the EV costs a lot more to buy and to make my 400 mile trip you would have to sit for an hour at the charging station after going a little over half way.

I would love for you to be right, but with current technology the math just does not work.

The present price of the Tesla S is competative with the other high end luxury sedans. And it's rating as far as comfort and driving exceed those of most of those sedans.

And I posted the equivelent energy usage already. The equivelent of over 100 mpg on a luxury sedan is doing pretty damned good.

not very many americans are in the market for a 100K car. your market is very limited in that price range.

and why won't you answer my question about running the AC or heater? really screws up your calculations doesn't it?

great----a "luxury" car that you can't run the AC or heater-----great :cuckoo::confused:

electric would be cheaper per mile

but you dont have the distance

between charges

and electric refills take some time

so if you have a lot of time on your hands

and the ability to find plug ins

yo would eventually get there

i would be all for an electric car

that can go 400 miles before recharging

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSLA Stock Quote - Tesla Motors Inc. Stock Price Today (TSLA:NASDAQ) - MarketWatch

flat or trending down------Wow!

not very many americans are in the market for a 100K car. your market is very limited in that price range.

and why won't you answer my question about running the AC or heater? really screws up your calculations doesn't it?

great----a "luxury" car that you can't run the AC or heater-----great :cuckoo::confused:

Crap. You are such a lazy ass. Here are some figures;

Are there range estimates based on A/C usage | Forums | Tesla Motors

From the ammeter, it looks like my Roadster consumes roughly 6A running the A/C when it is stationary; at 400V that's 2.4kW.

If you're driving a Roadster at 55 mph, the car requires about 12.5kW. So with A/C that will now 14.9kW.

53kWh battery capacity with 12.5kW consumption gives 4.24 hours of travel. Since we're going at 55 mph for 4.24 hours, the distance traveled is 233 miles. That matches the published performance curve.

53kWh battery capacity with 14.9kW consumption gives 3.56 hours of travel at 55 mph, for a distance of 195 miles.

That indicates the Roadster's A/C might reduce the range by about 16% or 38 miles.

So on the 85kWH battery of the Tesla S that would be less than 50 miles of the 250+ range.

between charges

whether it would be cheaper per mile depends on the cost of electricity. If we overload the grid with these things and continue to ban coal and oil fired generation plants, the cost of a KWH will go up.

so what would be gained? we might burn less oil ---- BFD.

Why not focus on finding ways to use oil more efficiently and cleaner? great progress has been made in cleaning up fossil fuel use in the last 50 years.

I do not understand the obsession with electrics, the power has to come from somewhere.

liberals seem to think it just magically appears at the socket.

Damn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

flat or trending down------Wow!

Flat?

Is It Too Late for Investors to Buy Tesla Stock? (TSLA)

If you already own stock in Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA ) , you probably wish you owned more of it. Tesla stock is up more than 150% year to date. At the time of this writing, shares of the electric-vehicle maker were trading around $90 a pop. However, with as much as 86% of that upside occurring this month, is it too late for investors to get in on the action?

Who wants to know?
Whether or not Tesla stock remains a buy at its current valuation depends largely on how you invest. Buy and hold investors with an eye to the future and a stomach for volatility should see the stock climb higher from here in the years ahead. However, not all analysts share my enthusiasm for the stock's long-term growth potential.

Fellow Fool Sean Williams sees the stock's recent run-up as an opportunity to sell shares of Tesla short. He's certainly not alone. More than 37% of the company's free float remains sold short, even after the flood of good news out of the company this month. Still, it's important not to forget that the high short interest in Tesla stock was a major contributor to the steep rise in Tesla's value this month.

If that short squeeze has taught us anything, it's not to bet against Tesla or the company's outspoken CEO Elon Musk.

Valuing the big picture
On Wednesday, Musk gave investors yet another reason to get behind Tesla stock: He put more skin in the game. That's right, Musk said he would personally buy $100 million worth of Tesla stock, following the company's announcement Wednesday night that Tesla will raise additional funds through a stock and convertible-bond offering.

Crap. You are such a lazy ass. Here are some figures;

Are there range estimates based on A/C usage | Forums | Tesla Motors

From the ammeter, it looks like my Roadster consumes roughly 6A running the A/C when it is stationary; at 400V that's 2.4kW.

If you're driving a Roadster at 55 mph, the car requires about 12.5kW. So with A/C that will now 14.9kW.

53kWh battery capacity with 12.5kW consumption gives 4.24 hours of travel. Since we're going at 55 mph for 4.24 hours, the distance traveled is 233 miles. That matches the published performance curve.

53kWh battery capacity with 14.9kW consumption gives 3.56 hours of travel at 55 mph, for a distance of 195 miles.

That indicates the Roadster's A/C might reduce the range by about 16% or 38 miles.

So on the 85kWH battery of the Tesla S that would be less than 50 miles of the 250+ range.

OK, thanks, thats good info. 16% loss for the AC

how about running the heater on a 20 degree day?

Flat?

Is It Too Late for Investors to Buy Tesla Stock? (TSLA)

If you already own stock in Tesla Motors (NASDAQ: TSLA ) , you probably wish you owned more of it. Tesla stock is up more than 150% year to date. At the time of this writing, shares of the electric-vehicle maker were trading around $90 a pop. However, with as much as 86% of that upside occurring this month, is it too late for investors to get in on the action?

Who wants to know?
Whether or not Tesla stock remains a buy at its current valuation depends largely on how you invest. Buy and hold investors with an eye to the future and a stomach for volatility should see the stock climb higher from here in the years ahead. However, not all analysts share my enthusiasm for the stock's long-term growth potential.

Fellow Fool Sean Williams sees the stock's recent run-up as an opportunity to sell shares of Tesla short. He's certainly not alone. More than 37% of the company's free float remains sold short, even after the flood of good news out of the company this month. Still, it's important not to forget that the high short interest in Tesla stock was a major contributor to the steep rise in Tesla's value this month.

If that short squeeze has taught us anything, it's not to bet against Tesla or the company's outspoken CEO Elon Musk.

Valuing the big picture
On Wednesday, Musk gave investors yet another reason to get behind Tesla stock: He put more skin in the game. That's right, Musk said he would personally buy $100 million worth of Tesla stock, following the company's announcement Wednesday night that Tesla will raise additional funds through a stock and convertible-bond offering.

you posted the curve, did you look at it. It was up then down and has been flat for some time. your data, not mine.

between charges

whether it would be cheaper per mile depends on the cost of electricity. If we overload the grid with these things and continue to ban coal and oil fired generation plants, the cost of a KWH will go up.

so what would be gained? we might burn less oil ---- BFD.

Why not focus on finding ways to use oil more efficiently and cleaner? great progress has been made in cleaning up fossil fuel use in the last 50 years.

I do not understand the obsession with electrics, the power has to come from somewhere.

liberals seem to think it just magically appears at the socket.

Ever heard of photovoltaics? Power your home and your vehicle with your own generation from solar panels. Of course we realize you would rather finance another mansion for the CEO's of the oil companies.

It is that stupid liberal idea of being financially independent. But go ahead and continue to push the cause of big oil.

Personally.. I would want a car where I can go more than just 250 miles a day or so in the summer or winter.. especially for 100+K

It is still a luxury market for the very few who can afford it.. it is little more than a status symbol and a false advertisement for the practicality of electric vehicles..

While I hope the company continues to advance the technology and stay alive while doing it... I do not prop it up as something it is not

So one success out of how many failures?

How much money has Obama wasted with this program? How much of that money has done nothing but line the pockets of his contributors?

Those are good questions.

Bankrupt Tesla CEO Buys $17 Million Mansion After Receiving $465 Million Taxpayer-Funded Bailout | Sad Hill News

bankrupt Tesla Motors needed only 90 days to burn through $35 million of their Obama-awarded $465 million taxpayer-funded bailout.

Obama to Tesla CEO, “Now buy yourself a mansion, after you donate $100,000 to my re-election campaign, just like bankrupt Solyndra.”

It must have been the internal CEO fighting and hemorrhaging bank account – from trying to sell a $92,000 electric car that costs $140,000 to ‘produce’ – that made Tesla Motors the perfect addition to Obama’s money laundering portfolio…

Bankrupt Tesla CEO Buys $17 Million Mansion After Receiving $465 Million Taxpayer-Funded Bailout

(Breitbart) Taxpayers footed the bill for a $465 million loan to troubled electric carmaker Tesla as part of President Barack Obama’s “green energy” stimulus. But Tesla’s CEO Elon Musk is now riding high with the purchase of his new $17 million mansion.

/marketstate/country/us
Tesla Motors Inc.
Before the Bell

TSLA
/quotes/zigman/118681/quotes/nls/tsla
$

Change
-2.45 -2.81%

Volume
Volume 77,658

May 23, 2013, 9:22 a.m.

Real time quotes

/quotes/zigman/118681/quotes/nls/tsla Previous close
$ 87.24

$ 87.24

Change
-0.35 -0.40%

Day low
Day high

$85.50
$90.96

Open: 86.37
52 week low
52 week high

$25.52
$97.12

25.52 to 97.12, presently at 87+. Such a poor performing stock. Do you realize how badly you are reaching to try to badmouth Tesla? You are really beginning to sound silly.

How much money has Obama wasted with this program? How much of that money has done nothing but line the pockets of his contributors?

Bankrupt Tesla CEO Buys $17 Million Mansion After Receiving $465 Million Taxpayer-Funded Bailout | Sad Hill News

bankrupt Tesla Motors needed only 90 days to burn through $35 million of their Obama-awarded $465 million taxpayer-funded bailout.

Obama to Tesla CEO, “Now buy yourself a mansion, after you donate $100,000 to my re-election campaign, just like bankrupt Solyndra.”

It must have been the internal CEO fighting and hemorrhaging bank account – from trying to sell a $92,000 electric car that costs $140,000 to ‘produce’ – that made Tesla Motors the perfect addition to Obama’s money laundering portfolio…

Bankrupt Tesla CEO Buys $17 Million Mansion After Receiving $465 Million Taxpayer-Funded Bailout

(Breitbart) Taxpayers footed the bill for a $465 million loan to troubled electric carmaker Tesla as part of President Barack Obama’s “green energy” stimulus. But Tesla’s CEO Elon Musk is now riding high with the purchase of his new $17 million mansion.

Damn, now we have really dumb people posting. Bankrupt Tesla, indeed, only worth 10 billion +. And Elon Musk is a billionaire in his own right. Also owns Solar City and Space X.

But keep right on posting nonsense and demonstrating what a dumb fuck you are.

Ahh.. did not know of the government funding/bailout...

My respect for Tesla goes down...

If you cannot make it on your own, tough shit.. the government has ZERO business bailing out private industry

Damn, now we have really dumb people posting. Bankrupt Tesla, indeed, only worth 10 billion +. And Elon Musk is a billionaire in his own right. Also owns Solar City and Space X.

But keep right on posting nonsense and demonstrating what a dumb fuck you are.

Either Tesla went bankrupt or it didn't. It did. It did AFTER it got a 465 million dollar "bailout" just like all of obama's other donors.

IF Tesla has so much money and the owner is a billionaire, why did they get a bailout in the first place?

Forum List

Back