Tesla Motors' Success Gives Electric Car Market a Charge

It's not the electric motor that is the problem. It is the BATTERIES! God and goddess, this is like talking to a mental patient.

What hell? did you even bother to read my posts dork? before you flamed me? no shit its the batterys....

And no shit roads have to be maintained.. but as gas cars go away in the far future, it does not have to come from MORE taxation or a per mile tax.. it can come by cutting spending that should not be done anyway.... you don't always have to tax MORE ot come up with a new tax... you can indeed cut and reallocate

and you dont frikin think......Out of staters use these states roads..... you do know trucks do damage traviling by right? So what do frickin want more toll roads? think dude.......

Right now, China has a near monopoly on the batteries that are most efficient for EV's. They certainly control the market. There is only one company in the USA that mines the rare earth metals that are used in the production of those batteries. Once we make our own batteries the prices will come down and the technology is already getting less expensive. The Tesla S is less than half the price of the Roadster and the car they will be introducing next will be nearly half the price of the S model. You can get a range of 300 miles on a charge and a "fast" charger that will charge the car in a couple of hours. It may not be as quick as a fillup with gasohol but it is a lot cheaper than $5/gallon. Limited maintenance is another plus for electric vehicles. No oil changes every 3 - 6 months, No plugs and tuneups and the cars will easily come down to match the price of a full sized pickup in less than 5 years.
In those areas of the country where fossil fuels are used to make electricity the price of "fuel" (a re-charge) will be more expensive than the areas that electricity is generated by hydro but it will still be cheaper than gas, alcohol or diesel.

There are some very large lithium prospects in the US. This is just one potential source.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/b...ract-lithium-from-geothermal-plants.html?_r=0

A start-up company will announce on Wednesday that it is beginning commercial operations at a factory in Southern California to capture lithium from existing geothermal energy plants, a technology it says has the potential to turn the United States into a major lithium exporter.

I dont get why you dont think? your not going to scam the system by using public highways by using an electric car..... you have to be a retard to think that.

Right now, China has a near monopoly on the batteries that are most efficient for EV's. They certainly control the market. There is only one company in the USA that mines the rare earth metals that are used in the production of those batteries. Once we make our own batteries the prices will come down and the technology is already getting less expensive. The Tesla S is less than half the price of the Roadster and the car they will be introducing next will be nearly half the price of the S model. You can get a range of 300 miles on a charge and a "fast" charger that will charge the car in a couple of hours. It may not be as quick as a fillup with gasohol but it is a lot cheaper than $5/gallon. Limited maintenance is another plus for electric vehicles. No oil changes every 3 - 6 months, No plugs and tuneups and the cars will easily come down to match the price of a full sized pickup in less than 5 years.
In those areas of the country where fossil fuels are used to make electricity the price of "fuel" (a re-charge) will be more expensive than the areas that electricity is generated by hydro but it will still be cheaper than gas, alcohol or diesel.

There are some very large lithium prospects in the US. This is just one potential source.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/28/b...ract-lithium-from-geothermal-plants.html?_r=0

A start-up company will announce on Wednesday that it is beginning commercial operations at a factory in Southern California to capture lithium from existing geothermal energy plants, a technology it says has the potential to turn the United States into a major lithium exporter.

and its still crap ola..........

we already have lithum batterys and they suck..... try again.... Batterys suck always have and always willl...

Uh - why is this topic in Politics? :confused:

This latter-day concept of "charging stations" and inventing ranges to rival the ICE are completely wrongheaded. That's not the idea and never was. The idea of an EV is that you use it for your local commutes, the stuff you do every day, work, school, shopping, etc. -- that part that makes up 80% of our overall driving. Then when you need to go a long distance, you break out the ICE. No new infrastructure needed, no endless chase of range technology that is inherently finite, just run it locally.

Just doing that, without any of that other angst, cuts down fossil fuel use by 80%. We're going to jump through all these hoops for the extra 20? Really?

Completely amazing. Here we have an American Businessman creating a new product that is first class, groundbreaking, and no other nation has anything close, and our 'Conservatives' can do nothing but bitch about it. Once again, we see their kind of patriotism on display. They seem to wish only the worse for the nation. And wish only to complain about best in the nation.

Well, I have seen one of the Tesla's on the streets of Portland, and seen many Leafs, Thinks, and the plugin hybrids, also. We don't need either your opinion or your dollars. The EV's will be the vehicles of the future.

This latter-day concept of "charging stations" and inventing ranges to rival the ICE are completely wrongheaded. That's not the idea and never was. The idea of an EV is that you use it for your local commutes, the stuff you do every day, work, school, shopping, etc. -- that part that makes up 80% of our overall driving. Then when you need to go a long distance, you break out the ICE. No new infrastructure needed, no endless chase of range technology that is inherently finite, just run it locally.

Just doing that, without any of that other angst, cuts down fossil fuel use by 80%. We're going to jump through all these hoops for the extra 20? Really?

Yep. And that 80% of driving, if done on electricity from your own solar setup, would save substancial money for the average household. The Leaf and Think both are freeway capable, and have over an 80 mile range. That would cover 80% or more of the driving that most people do.

What hell? did you even bother to read my posts dork? before you flamed me? no shit its the batterys....

And no shit roads have to be maintained.. but as gas cars go away in the far future, it does not have to come from MORE taxation or a per mile tax.. it can come by cutting spending that should not be done anyway.... you don't always have to tax MORE ot come up with a new tax... you can indeed cut and reallocate

and you dont frikin think......Out of staters use these states roads..... you do know trucks do damage traviling by right? So what do frickin want more toll roads? think dude.......

And the states get to decide.. Just as the Feds get to choose on the roads that fall under their jurisdiction.. BUT it does not have to happen with more or new taxes.. as stated... it can indeed happen with reallocation and the changing of poor spending habits

And You complain that someone else is not thinking??? :rolleyes:

Yep. And that 80% of driving, if done on electricity from your own solar setup, would save substancial money for the average household. The Leaf and Think both are freeway capable, and have over an 80 mile range. That would cover 80% or more of the driving that most people do.

Uh huh...

except that when people do want to drive more than 40 miles away from their house.. either they have to have stations of electric cars stashed all over the place... or they have to buy a gas car on top of the overpriced electric car that they bought.. DEFEATING THE PURPOSE...

Look.. the electric cars like the Tesla are a great NOVELTY.... they are not cost effective nor practical.. and they will not be for a while.. .eventually the hydrogen cell vehicle will out perform the electric and cost less... but neither that nor the electric are where they need to be for average use

Uh huh...

except that when people do want to drive more than 40 miles away from their house.. either they have to have stations of electric cars stashed all over the place... or they have to buy a gas car on top of the overpriced electric car that they bought.. DEFEATING THE PURPOSE...

Look.. the electric cars like the Tesla are a great NOVELTY.... they are not cost effective nor practical.. and they will not be for a while.. .eventually the hydrogen cell vehicle will out perform the electric and cost less... but neither that nor the electric are where they need to be for average use

No-- that IS the purpose. Always was. All this bullshit about charging stations and batteries that run all day is trying to make an EV into something it's not. But again, the local commutes, the everyday stuff, makes up 80% of all driving, so you just use the ICE for the other 20 -- which is what I just said. Not rocket surgery.

Hell, for most people that drive long distances only occasionally they can rent the ICE if the cost of owning two cars doesn't justify. I do it.

Last edited:
Completely amazing. Here we have an American Businessman creating a new product that is first class, groundbreaking, and no other nation has anything close, and our 'Conservatives' can do nothing but bitch about it. Once again, we see their kind of patriotism on display. They seem to wish only the worse for the nation. And wish only to complain about best in the nation.

Well, I have seen one of the Tesla's on the streets of Portland, and seen many Leafs, Thinks, and the plugin hybrids, also. We don't need either your opinion or your dollars. The EV's will be the vehicles of the future.

Don't blame us all oldrocks. I'm for the free market and believe that the consumer should be able to choose...I praise the men that create for our country and wish for the best.

There was another dupe who was great on one subject- he was a farmer I guess who knew Pubcrappe was wrong on THAT. You know it's wrong on THIS. Well done, but...lol. See last line of my sig.

EVs are good for sneaking up on your golf ball.

It is sad to have people bitch about rich people's cars. Just ain't right.

1. Build new infrastructure.
2. The cars price will go down and the tech will move down to cheaper electric cars.

That infrastructure is already being built. At Portland State University they have a bunch of plugins in parking spaces for the EV's. Saw my first Tesla S there. Volts, Leafs, and a cute little car, the Think, are there are a daily basis.

Elon Musk is also building his own charging network. And soon, restaurant owners are going to realize that having such a charging station, or stations, will bring them a lot more business.

As far as the grid goes, we need to replace it in any case. It is ancient, wastes too much energy, and vulnable to hostile acts.

Plugin parking spaces are popping up around San Fran as well.

I heard the answer to the charging issue is eventually to drive into a station and just swap out batteries. That's a long time coming, no doubt.

The problem with that would be getting all manufacturers to agree on a standardized battery system. I like the idea of the swapping stations, because it brings the cost of the vehicle down to a price point where everyone can afford it....for an average car like the Volt? Something like $16-20k....because your factory battery would just be a swappable one

OK, old rocks. Here's my challenge to you

lets say that a gas powered car can go 400 miles on 20 gallons of gas and gas costs $3/gal. OK? that means you can go 400 miles for $60 dollars. Ok so far?

Now, you tell me how many charges your electric will need to go 400 miles and, using current electric rates, how much you will spend to go 400 miles.

you don't even need to include the motel charges since you need a couple overnight charges to go that far.

It cant be answerd as of today, not until all states start taxing drivers per mile, to make up for the lost taxes on fuel sales.
Wow.

So much for the freedom to move about without government.....Now you can move about.....if you can afford it.

OK, old rocks. Here's my challenge to you

lets say that a gas powered car can go 400 miles on 20 gallons of gas and gas costs $3/gal. OK? that means you can go 400 miles for $60 dollars. Ok so far?

Now, you tell me how many charges your electric will need to go 400 miles and, using current electric rates, how much you will spend to go 400 miles.

you don't even need to include the motel charges since you need a couple overnight charges to go that far.

It cant be answerd as of today, not until all states start taxing drivers per mile, to make up for the lost taxes on fuel sales.
Wow.

So much for the freedom to move about without government.....Now you can move about.....if you can afford it.

How about taxing sugary shit and foods with high fat content? What do you think oldrocks?

Forum List

Back