Tesla Motors' Success Gives Electric Car Market a Charge

It cant be answerd as of today, not until all states start taxing drivers per mile, to make up for the lost taxes on fuel sales.
Wow.

So much for the freedom to move about without government.....Now you can move about.....if you can afford it.

How about taxing sugary shit and foods with high fat content? What do you think oldrocks?
I personally support electric and propane and natural gas cars. As soon as the tech catches up with the concept, its going to be a boon...........

until government gets their hands into the pie. Moving off of the oil and onto nuclear generated electricity would be the optimal solution. However, before we do that, we need to put a wall of separation between government and the electricity used to power our cars.

When the revenues from gasoline drop, I DO NOT WANT electricity to replace it. Let government cut its spending to meet its income.

Because for most people, they get the equivalent of 100 mpg? DUH. Too bad the dupes make selling these cars so difficult in brainwashed hater dupe areas lol.

--LOL

when running on gas

they get 37 mpg

the further you drive the

further the equivalent drops

Because for most people, they get the equivalent of 100 mpg? DUH. Too bad the dupes make selling these cars so difficult in brainwashed hater dupe areas lol.

equivalent It has nothing to do with being for or against alternative energy. Its about taking a realistic look at it and concluding that the govt is wasting our money.

when these things become financially viable, private capital will flood into them. Its not the government's role to "invest" our money in this stuff.

exactly

Range bothers you? Buy a Volt. See the dupes of Big Oil/Greedy idiot rich, absolutely HATE alternative energy. Jackasses lol.

Some conservatives say they love the free market but then oppose someone's choice to buy what ever. Electric cars may not be that good yet, but to here conservatives say that they shouldn't be around is kind of wrong. The market dictates that.

go buy one

no one is stopping you from doing so

I have a few questions for you electric car lovers:

1. how long can it run on a charge?
a. with the AC on
b. with the heater on
c. with the radio on
2. how many KW hours to recharge it and how much does that cost in $ ?
3. how many recharging stations are on any interstate hwy?
4. how much does it cost to buy?
5. how much to replace the batteries?
6. where will we dispose of the batteries since they are hazardous waste?
7. compare the total cost for driving 500 miles in this to the cost of driving 500 miles in a standard car? note. I said TOTAL cost.

New technology is great and we should always be looking for better methods of transportation. But until one of you can show me how to power an 18 wheeler across the country using something other than oil, this is all just playing.

LOL. You are totally full of shit. The EV is on a roll, and as the batteries improve, will take over the market in the form of pure EV's and hybrids. Already, Freightliner is producing hybrid trucks.

There is just no way that people like you can admit that our government helped start a winner, in spite of the Transcontinental Railroad and the Corps of Discovery.

Freightliner and Kenworth have been making hybrid trucks for several years...but there is a yawning chasm between a hybrid and a true electric vehicle. God and goddess, THINK!

diesel-electrics have been around for a long time

trains have diesel generators that in turn power electric motors

What you think is obvious, isn't. An internal combustion engine holds more power per pound then does any battery. It costs more to construct a batter of the same power. And batteries are not necessarily cleaner considering how much of our electricity is made from coal. Also the chemicals and semi precious metals make electric cars unaffordable to the average Joe. Natural gas would be a better solution then batteries. Until super capacitors can be made, if ever.

It's obvious you know nothing about physics, science, environment or economics. :cuckoo:

Tesla Motors is preparing to take it's battery-powered Tesla Model S sedans to Europe this summer and to Asia by the end of the year. "Eventually, the company expects most of its sales to come from outside the U.S.", Elon Musk said yesterday.

LOL. You are totally full of shit. The EV is on a roll, and as the batteries improve, will take over the market in the form of pure EV's and hybrids. Already, Freightliner is producing hybrid trucks.

There is just no way that people like you can admit that our government helped start a winner, in spite of the Transcontinental Railroad and the Corps of Discovery.

Freightliner and Kenworth have been making hybrid trucks for several years...but there is a yawning chasm between a hybrid and a true electric vehicle. God and goddess, THINK!

So do many ships. Diesel electric means you have a diesel engine driving a generator that sends electricity to an electric motor that drives the wheels or propeller. The reason they are used in ships and trains is that it eliminates the need for a transmission and propeller shaft. It saves weight, but the system still relies on an internal combustion engine to make it work.

What you think is obvious, isn't. An internal combustion engine holds more power per pound then does any battery. It costs more to construct a batter of the same power. And batteries are not necessarily cleaner considering how much of our electricity is made from coal. Also the chemicals and semi precious metals make electric cars unaffordable to the average Joe. Natural gas would be a better solution then batteries. Until super capacitors can be made, if ever.

Because of the inherent inefficienies of the Carnot cycle, an electric car getting its electricity from a coal burning generator will put less CO2 into the air than one using petrol. And, again, the efficiency of having one's own source of fuel, solar, will play a big factor in people buying these vehicles.

As far as the present cost of the battery goes, that will come down as the technology improves.

Don't use physics, it's way over his head. These idiots believe a 25% efficient gasoline, natural gas or diesel ICE car engine is better than a 90+% efficient natural gas or coal power plant that can recharge 3 cars on the same fuel. Plus we can charge them with the excessive overnight wind generated energy that gets dumped every night. Once we have a huge fleet of all electric or hybrid electric vehicles, they can be powered by any cheap energy source on the planet. Freedom is not being held hostage by gasoline only powered cars, supporting terrorist, foreign dictators & the rising price of gasoline.

Tesla goes 300+ miles on a charge. "95% of trips are less than 30 miles. More astonishingly, around 98 percent of all single-trip journeys were under 50 miles in length, with trips over 70 miles in length accounting for just one percent of all single-trip journeys." Tesla will recharge for free on the road in 30 minutes to go another 150 miles or 1 hour to go 300 miles.

GM determined 80% drive less than 40 total miles a day. It would take all week to drain the Tesla battery at that rate.

Last edited:

It's obvious you know nothing about physics, science, environment or economics. :cuckoo:

He is right, you are wrong.

Because of the inherent inefficienies of the Carnot cycle, an electric car getting its electricity from a coal burning generator will put less CO2 into the air than one using petrol. And, again, the efficiency of having one's own source of fuel, solar, will play a big factor in people buying these vehicles.

As far as the present cost of the battery goes, that will come down as the technology improves.

Don't use physics, it's way over his head. These idiots believe a 25% efficient gasoline, natural gas or diesel ICE car engine is better than a 90+% efficient natural gas or coal power plant that can recharge 3 cars on the same fuel. Plus we can charge them with the excessive overnight wind generated energy that gets dumped every night. Once we have a huge fleet of all electric or hybrid electric vehicles, they can be powered by any cheap energy source on the planet. Freedom is not being held hostage by gasoline only powered cars, supporting terrorist, foreign dictators & the rising price of gasoline.

Tesla goes 300+ miles on a charge. "95% of trips are less than 30 miles a day. More astonishingly, around 98 percent of all single-trip journeys were under 50 miles in length, with trips over 70 miles in length accounting for just one percent of all single-trip journeys." Tesla will recharge for free on the road in 30 minutes to go another 150 miles or 1 hour to go 300 miles.

OK, then do the math for me. lets say you drive 30 miles a day and to make it easy lets say that your ICE car gets 30 mph. OK? lets say gas costs $3/gallon. Ok so far? that means you spend $3 /day to get around.

Now, do the same calculations with your electric. what will it cost to top off the charge each night using current KWH power rates? $3 ? I think not.

OK, then do the math for me. lets say you drive 30 miles a day and to make it easy lets say that your ICE car gets 30 mph. OK? lets say gas costs $3/gallon. Ok so far? that means you spend $3 /day to get around.

Now, do the same calculations with your electric. what will it cost to top off the charge each night using current KWH power rates? $3 ? I think not.

:cuckoo: Where the hell did you dream up $3 gas? :lol:

Gas is $4 a gallon & my vehicles get 20 mpg. It cost me $6 a day to drive 30 miles a day. Tesla does the same for 75 cents a day. If you recharge at the free Tesla recharging stations once a week, then you never pay for recharging. So that is zero cost per day. That means you could get a door to door service, sales or delivery job & pocket all the gas money.

Gas is $4 a gallon & my vehicles get 20 mpg. It cost me $6 a day to drive 30 miles a day. Tesla does the same for 75 cents a day. If you recharge at the free Tesla recharging stations once a week, then you never pay for recharging. So that is zero cost per day. That means you could get a door to door service, sales or delivery job & pocket all the gas money.

and the telsa does not pay any road tax yet... Do you know how much tax is in that $4 gallon of gas?

Free charging stations? Whow rich people and their cars sure get all the benefits.

What is the United States national gas tax rate?
The United States federal excise tax on gasoline is 18.4 cents per gallon (cpg) and 24.4 cents per gallon (cpg) for diesel fuel. On average, as of April 2012, state and local taxes add 31.1 cents to gasoline and 30.2 cents to diesel for a total US average fuel tax of 49.5 cents (cpg) per gallon for gas and 54.6 cents per gallon (cpg) for diesel.

The government takes more in gas taxes per gallon than oil companies make in profits.

and the telsa does not pay any road tax yet... Do you know how much tax is in that $4 gallon of gas?

Do you know what the real costs are in that $4 gas? According to the National Defense Council Foundation, the economic penalties of America's oil dependence total $297.2 to $304.9 billion annually. If reflected at the gasoline pump, these “hidden costs” comes to $1 a gallon that consumers are not paying. Tax payers are subsidizing gasoline at $1 per gallon.

Total gas tax where I live is 35 cents a gallon where I live. Gas users should pay the $1 war cost & electric drivers should get a war rebate.

the $3 was to make the calculation easy for my leftwing friends.

"free recharging stations" are you kidding? I guess the electricity just self generates and shows up at the charging station :confused: someone is paying for them, how much of the purchase price is for the "free" charges?

but how about doing a more detailed calculation including the purchase price of the vehicles, maintenance, refueling, etc over a 5 year period? Oh, and you better include the EPA fee for disposing of the hazardous waste battery when it wears out.

I am not saying I am opposed to the idea of electrics, I just wish you guys would stop lying about the comparative cost.

Do you know what the real costs are in that $4 gas? According to the National Defense Council Foundation, the economic penalties of America's oil dependence total $297.2 to $304.9 billion annually. If reflected at the gasoline pump, these “hidden costs” comes to $1 a gallon that consumers are not paying. Tax payers are subsidizing gasoline at $1 per gallon.

Total gas tax where I live is 35 cents a gallon where I live. Gas users should pay the $1 war cost & electric drivers should get a war rebate.

:smoke: whatever you are smoking, can I have some?

who makes the most profit from oil produced in the USA? the US government.

So do many ships. Diesel electric means you have a diesel engine driving a generator that sends electricity to an electric motor that drives the wheels or propeller. The reason they are used in ships and trains is that it eliminates the need for a transmission and propeller shaft. It saves weight, but the system still relies on an internal combustion engine to make it work.

Its because the electric motor has more tourque (at low speeds) translated to horse power. an example

Matching Power

Electric Motors Where satisfactory electrical power is economically available at the pump site, it is common practice to drive the pump with an electric motor (squirrel cage induction type). When electric current (amperes) flows through the wire coils (stator windings) inside the motor, very strong magnetic fields are produced. The magnetic forces attract the rotor of the motor, producing a twisting effect (called torque), which is combined with the rotational speed of the motor to produce horsepower (BHP).

nternal Combustion Engines Where satisfactory electrical power is not available, or when a pump unit is moved to various locations, it is common practice to drive the pump with an internal combustion engine (diesel, gasoline, LPG, natural gas, etc.).

more........

When a mixture of fuel and air is burned inside an internal combustion engine, chemical energy is converted into power. The combustion process produces a twisting effect, called torque, at the engine shaft, causing it to rotate. The amount of torque being produced is combined with the rotating speed of the engine shaft to produce horsepower (BHP).
For a given operating point, if the BHP required by the
pump is greater than the BHP that can be produced by the engine at that RPM, the pump and engine set will simply slow down

Forum List

Back