Tesla Motors' Success Gives Electric Car Market a Charge

in Subs they just use Diesels to charge the batterys, thats it, for the electric motor.

Incorrect.

you lie so bad unless what do we have now? link please.... A nuke sub generates its own air a diesel sub can not so a link to prove thy wrong..
HowStuffWorks "How do the engines breathe in diesel submarines?"

A diesel submarine is a very good example of a hybrid vehicle. Most diesel subs have two or more diesel engines. The diesels can run propellers or they can run generators that recharge a very large battery bank. They can also work in combination, one engine driving a propeller and the other driving all generator. The sub must surface (or cruise just below the surface using a snorkel) to run the diesel engines. Once the batteries are fully charged, the sub can head underwater. The batteries power electric motors that drive the propellers. Battery operation is the only way a diesel sub can actually submerge.

"free recharging stations" are you kidding? I guess the electricity just self generates and shows up at the charging station :confused: someone is paying for them, how much of the purchase price is for the "free" charges?

but how about doing a more detailed calculation including the purchase price of the vehicles, maintenance, refueling, etc over a 5 year period? Oh, and you better include the EPA fee for disposing of the hazardous waste battery when it wears out.

The free charging stations are solar powered. Their free lifetime charging cost are included in the price of the car. So are the cost of the lifetime battery warranty & recycling. Also free on the spot loaner car & towing transport for warranty work.

supercharger_hero_wide.jpg

so if you need a charge at night or on a cloudy day---------you just sit on your ass and wait---------wow, what a great deal!

There is excess wind energy being spilled off the wind farms at night. That wasted wind energy will charge the cars at night. During the day Tesla solar sends excess power to their on site battery & the power grid. At night the charging station draws it back from the battery & power grid.

electricity.jpg

No, it is not cheaper at present. Lithuim batteries are hard to manufacture at present in the size required for automobiles.

And the cost of the Tesla S is not really any higher than many of the high end luxury sedans. Remember, you are dealing with a sedan that does 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds. And is rated higher than the high end Mercedes, BMW, and Audi by Consumer Reports.

However, the battery cost will come down, whether in steps, or a magnitude jump. How many years ago was it that a 60 in. TV cost 10's of thousands of dollars?

People want 60 in. TV's... They also want cars that can go unlimited miles without recharges taking more than just a few minutes.

No, it is not cheaper at present. Lithuim batteries are hard to manufacture at present in the size required for automobiles.

And the cost of the Tesla S is not really any higher than many of the high end luxury sedans. Remember, you are dealing with a sedan that does 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds. And is rated higher than the high end Mercedes, BMW, and Audi by Consumer Reports.

However, the battery cost will come down, whether in steps, or a magnitude jump. How many years ago was it that a 60 in. TV cost 10's of thousands of dollars?

People want 60 in. TV's... They also want cars that can go unlimited miles without recharges taking more than just a few minutes.

1. A 60" t.v now takes less power then a 15" 25 years ago.
2. Give it a few years and you'll be surprised.:eek:

I still want to see redfish's links on why he wants this thread shut down. and claims they got rid of diesel tranmisons because of weight. he never provided any.. I cant find it.....I think he was fibbing.....And note I am an honest guy. just cant find it. He says he was in the military for 40 years and yet.......?I provided links on this thread to back me up, yet redfish just posts opinions. Kind of werid?

Last edited:
Not only just posts opinions, he fails to do even the most basic research. One has to wonder what he did in the military that left him with no ability at all to do minimal research.

Todays trains use turbines to generate electric power for motion. They don't build diesel electrics any more, do they?

your wrong.....What I found out . Its stilll diesel electeric. post a link to prove me wrong. Gas turbines a no show.

Not only just posts opinions, he fails to do even the most basic research. One has to wonder what he did in the military that left him with no ability at all to do minimal research.

No kidding whats up with this guy? A newbie on here, kind of liked him. but I try to search for the truth about everything.... truth never hurts me.

Idk, Just maybe the left knows more then the right on this thread. Kind of confused...

No it hasnt. your just getting mad. because your wrong and I know the electic motor is far superior to the diesel, they didnt get rid of the transmisson in ships to save weight and you know it. They dont have the start up horsepower at low speeds to move that ship, that the electric motor has. provide a link to prove me wrong. please......

No, wrong! 70 years ago, diesel power had no trouble moving a 14,000-ton cruiser!

Yeah the can build big diesels. I don't recall saying big diesels were a problem.

the reason that ships use diesel electric power is to save weight, increase manuverability and eliminate the reduction gears and shaft bearings.

also in military ships its sometimes done to reduce the noise signature of the ship to make it harder to detect by sonar.

This topic has gotten so far off track I think it may be time to close it.

in Subs they just use Diesels to charge the batterys, thats it, for the electric motor.

true, did I say otherwise? when was the last diesel electric sub built?

They are being built now...the Russians, Indians, and Chinese use them, among others.

"A fully electric car that is practical would be too hard to design!" America said as Brown University creates the first wireless, implanted brain-computer interface. A brain computer. Literally. A computer that attaches to your brain. But no we dont know how to harness electric/solar/wind/whatever to power a vehicle for another 100 years at least. Too tough to figure out.

Some investors want to bring the Fisker back, a great car, no matter what Sean Rushbeck says...if only we could get Republicans to support the country as much as their party...

Forum List

Back