Tesla Motors' Success Gives Electric Car Market a Charge

I just have one big question:

Considering the aging and rapidly deteriorating electric grid of California, what happens when "affordable" electric cars overwhelm the distribution capacity for electricity?

Teslas are so expensive now, that the amount is negligible.

1. Build new infrastructure.
2. The cars price will go down and the tech will move down to cheaper electric cars.

Build new infrastructure? So you want non electric owners to subsidize the added drain on the electric grid just so electric car owners won't be inconvenienced?

Considering the aging and rapidly deteriorating electric grid of California, what happens when "affordable" electric cars overwhelm the distribution capacity for electricity?

2. The cars price will go down and the tech will move down to cheaper electric cars.

Build new infrastructure? So you want non electric owners to subsidize the added drain on the electric grid just so electric car owners won't be inconvenienced?

Same could be said about the gas stations you see every few blocks. ;)

I.I'm still pissed Pub pundits ruined the Volt and Fisker. Pub dupes!

The Volt and Fisker are not electric cars but rather they are hybrids.

The Chevy Volt did not go anywhere, it is still in production and you can order one here:
2013 Chevy Volt | Electric Car | Chevrolet

The Fisker Karma was a cool car but the company could not get its act together even with the money they got from the US government.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/mergermarket/2013/03/18/fisker-sale-not-dead-yet-i-hope/

Last edited:
yo kiss my ass,

try to engage your brain while reading. NO FORMS OF ENERGY SHOULD BE SUBSIDIZED.

the tax benefits that oil companies get be being allowed to write off exploration and development expenses were put in place by congress. Congress has been controlled by democrats for all but a few of the last 75 years.

If you have a problem with the tax code as it applies to oil companies, tell your democratic congressmen and senators

You are an right wing talking points idiot.:spam::cuckoo:

You can't address any facts because you are an idiot.:cuckoo:

I never said anything about "write offs".:cuckoo:

You keep spewing moronic RW talking points because you are a retard who cant think, has no experience, uneducated, illiterate, can't do simple math & are clueless about economics.:spam::cuckoo:

I am done wasting my time with you clueless, hopeless retard. :eusa_hand::gives::fu:

listen you idiotic left wing dipshit: you said "Oil can't compete unless it is subsidized by over 1$ a gallon with my income taxes & debt."

I said: "NO FORMS OF ENERGY SHOULD BE SUBSIDIZED"

Then you go on a juvenile rant because you are too stupid to comprehend simple english words.

You are an embarrasment to the US educational system. You have been indoctrinated by idiots and have become one yourself.

LOL, the added drain on the electric grid? Seriously that is your argument. Did you not hear we are the Saudi Arabia of natural gas? We have a large surplus of natural gas and coal! Both sources will last us for centuries. We also have room to build on for nuclear.

I know wind gets mocked, but we could bump up the percent of our energy from wind to 20%. We need to build wind turbines in the "wind corridor," stretching from the Canadian border to West Texas.

I say we shoot for these energy ratios:
20% Wind
5% Solar/Biomass
20% Nuclear
10% Hydro
30% Natural Gas
15% Coal
10% Oil

The only way to get those ratios are:
(1) Have the electric car take off nationally. I think we are seeing the beginning stages.
(2) Untilize the natural wind corridor I mentioned earlier.
(3) Finally expand nuclear (didn't Obama promise this and renig? Typical Obama)
(4) Expand Hydro. It's a very unappreciated source. It's natural, renewable, clean and provides a ton of energy!

Tesla's success is due to government a government bail out and the crony capitalism that enables a small number of people to buy incredibly expensive status symbol cars.

Let's see if they can make a reasonably priced mid-market car without government subsidies.

LOL, the added drain on the electric grid? Seriously that is your argument. Did you not hear we are the Saudi Arabia of natural gas? We have a large surplus of natural gas and coal! Both sources will last us for centuries. We also have room to build on for nuclear.

I know wind gets mocked, but we could bump up the percent of our energy from wind to 20%. We need to build wind turbines in the "wind corridor," stretching from the Canadian border to West Texas.

I say we shoot for these energy ratios:
20% Wind
5% Solar/Biomass
20% Nuclear
10% Hydro
30% Natural Gas
15% Coal
10% Oil

The only way to get those ratios are:
(1) Have the electric car take off nationally. I think we are seeing the beginning stages.
(2) Untilize the natural wind corridor I mentioned earlier.
(3) Finally expand nuclear (didn't Obama promise this and renig? Typical Obama)
(4) Expand Hydro. It's a very unappreciated source. It's natural, renewable, clean and provides a ton of energy!

I agree that we should be looking at all viable forms of energy.

As to electric cars, when the technology makes them economically sensible for average people then the free market will be all over them. There is no need for the govt to waste OUR tax money on these things. Capitalism works, but only when the govt gets out of the way.

as John Galt said in Atlas Shrugged: "just get the hell out of my way". Let freedom ring, let the free market find answers. Limit the govt to the things required by the constitution.

Success? An overpriced car which needs the total new infrastructure to be built( oh, the potential "success" of new money laundering on the taxpayer's tab), and which if reproduced in millions will bankrupt our energy system ( not to even mention ecological problems with millions of batteries)?
Probable success for the manufacturers if there will be enough buyers, but definitely not for a consumer

I.I'm still pissed Pub pundits ruined the Volt and Fisker. Pub dupes!

The Volt and Fisker are not electric cars but rather they are hybrids.

The Chevy Volt did not go anywhere, it is still in production and you can order one here:
2013 Chevy Volt | Electric Car | Chevrolet

The Fisker Karma was a cool car but the company could not get its act together even with the money they got from the US government.
Fisker Sale Not Dead Yet, I Hope - Forbes

I am seeing more and more Volts all over the Chicagoland. I got to ride in my first one a few weeks ago. The ride was very smooth. It had some kick and it looks pretty nice. Not sure why it's considered a failure (unless you use some gimmick accounting)!

As to electric cars, when the technology makes them economically sensible for average people then the free market will be all over them. There is no need for the govt to waste OUR tax money on these things. Capitalism works, but only when the govt gets out of the way.

Just like every new, innovative and revolutionary technology. I go back to the computer. My pops told me about a infamous article that said computers were WAY to expensive to every be affordable and mainstream. Boy was that convincing article wrong. Then you have the TV. Same thing. Extremely expensive then, less now. The list goes on and on. Cell phones, wrist watches, CDs (lol people said no way it would replace the cassette player), heck even the first cars were said to be the rich man's junk that would NEVER replace the horse!

All new revolutionary technology go through these same growing pains in gen 1, gen 2 more people pick them up, gen 3 they go mainstream, gen 4 people forget what the tech that was replaced was like (remember the CD player or Walkman, my kids don't!)!

Just like every new, innovative and revolutionary technology. I go back to the computer. My pops told me about a infamous article that said computers were WAY to expensive to every be affordable and mainstream. Boy was that convincing article wrong. Then you have the TV. Same thing. Extremely expensive then, less now. The list goes on and on. Cell phones, wrist watches, CDs (lol people said no way it would replace the cassette player), heck even the first cars were said to be the rich man's junk that would NEVER replace the horse!

All new revolutionary technology go through these same growing pains in gen 1, gen 2 more people pick them up, gen 3 they go mainstream, gen 4 people forget what the tech that was replaced was like (remember the CD player or Walkman, my kids don't!)!

the government did not fund the development of cell phones, computers, digital watches, CDs, or the first cars.

Thats the issue. Sure, someday maybe electric cars will be what everyone drives, but that day is many years away. What's stupid it to ignore our plentiful supply of fossil fuels rather than working on ways to use them more efficiently and cleanly.

There is no free energy, It all has to come from somewhere and be converted into electricity or to turn a crankshaft.

the government did not fund the development of cell phones, computers, digital watches, CDs, or the first cars.

Thats the issue. Sure, someday maybe electric cars will be what everyone drives, but that day is many years away. What's stupid it to ignore our plentiful supply of fossil fuels rather than working on ways to use them more efficiently and cleanly.

There is no free energy, It all has to come from somewhere and be converted into electricity or to turn a crankshaft.

wrong.

When do you think Telsa will release a car that can get 1,000 miles per charge?

When do you think Telsa will release a car that can get 1,000 miles per charge?

In the year 9130...... in Other words NEVER......On Battery power. You confuse Telsa the inventor with Telsa the company, you do know he died right? a long time ago....

Last edited:
When Tesla comes out with it's $35k car 3 years from now & puts a free charging station near you, it might be best to get one. You could get a battery to run the house on & recharge the house off of the car. Then go to the charging station every 3 days instead of once a week to recharge the car.

- No Electric Bill!
- No Natural Gas Bill!
- No Gasoline Bill!
- No Solar Panel cost!
- No Wind Mill Cost!

When Tesla comes out with it's $35k car 3 years from now & puts a free charging station near you, it might be best to get one. You could get a battery to run the house on & recharge the house off of the car. Then go to the charging station every 3 days instead of once a week to recharge the car.

- No Electric Bill!
- No Natural Gas Bill!
- No Gasoline Bill!
- No Solar Panel cost!
- No Wind Mill Cost!

What the hell? Lmao ........prove it with a link...because you dont know shit about Batterys....

- No Electric Bill!
- No Natural Gas Bill!
- No Gasoline Bill!
- No Solar Panel cost!
- No Wind Mill Cost!

What the hell? Lmao ........prove it with a link...because you dont know shit about Batterys....

The Tesla Battery Capacity is 85Kw. The average home uses 29kw per day. You might have to recharge every day in the hot summer to keep the AC blowing cold. But in mild weather you could go several days.

- No Electric Bill!
- No Natural Gas Bill!
- No Gasoline Bill!
- No Solar Panel cost!
- No Wind Mill Cost!

The Tesla Battery Capacity is 85Kw. The average home uses 29kw per day. You might have to recharge every day in the hot summer to keep the AC blowing cold. But in mild weather you could go several days.

Your using AC in your home not DC.......you do know there is a big differance right?... Just take a litte fan and and hook it up to an average car battery with a DC to AC invertor then you will know what I am talking about...

Forum List

Back