Tesla Motors' Success Gives Electric Car Market a Charge

The strides being made in the field of batteries and their capacity guarentees that within five years we will have grid sized batteries, as well as a battery pack the size of the present one in the Tesla S that will power that vehicle about a 1000 miles on a charge.

What we will see then is a switch in personal vehicles from the ICE's to EV's simply on the basis of economics, even at present battery prices. And the renewables, wind, solar, wave, and geo-thermal will become the primary sources of power in the wealthy nations.

and 10 million electric cars will require how many windmills? how about 100 million? Your ignorance is only exceeded by your arrogance.

Your straight up ignorant. It does not take 100 million windmills to charge 10 million electric cars. :cuckoo:

1 windmill can recharge 50 electric Tesla electric cars per hour. That is about 500 cars per night per wind turbine.

what if the wind is not blowing that night? Oops, have to call in sick, battery is dead :eek:

But thats not the point. electric cars are not viable with today's technology. Thats the bottom line. Nothing is free, the power to recharge them has to be generated somehow. Power generation costs money whether you do it by wind, solar, hydro, or fossil fuels.

If and when the electric car technology advances to where it is viable, then the free market will be all over it, edison, bell, the wright brothers, gates, jobs, etc did not need govt to develop those technologies. BTW, can you name one thing that the govt does well?

Crap. Redfish, the government of my nation has done a myriad of things very well. CCC's, WPA, Corps of Discovery, Transcontinental Railroad, REA, the building of the dams on the Columbia that powered the production of the bombers during WW2. Social Security. And so many other things.

You want to mindlessly repeat this stupid mantra, be my guest, but I will point out how utterly stupid it is and how stupid you are for repeating it.

and 10 million electric cars will require how many windmills? how about 100 million? Your ignorance is only exceeded by your arrogance.

Your straight up ignorant. It does not take 100 million windmills to charge 10 million electric cars. :cuckoo:

1 windmill can recharge 50 electric Tesla electric cars per hour. That is about 500 cars per night per wind turbine.

what if the wind is not blowing that night? Oops, have to call in sick, battery is dead :eek:

Your ignorance is astounding. The cars hold enough power to go 7-10 days for the average driver. It's no problem if the wind failed to blow for days. One windy night per week will run 500 cars all week per wind turbine. The wind blows nearly every night in the wind corridor.

Last edited:

But thats not the point. electric cars are not viable with today's technology. Thats the bottom line. Nothing is free, the power to recharge them has to be generated somehow. Power generation costs money whether you do it by wind, solar, hydro, or fossil fuels.

If and when the electric car technology advances to where it is viable, then the free market will be all over it, edison, bell, the wright brothers, gates, jobs, etc did not need govt to develop those technologies. BTW, can you name one thing that the govt does well?

Crap. Redfish, the government of my nation has done a myriad of things very well. CCC's, WPA, Corps of Discovery, Transcontinental Railroad, REA, the building of the dams on the Columbia that powered the production of the bombers during WW2. Social Security. And so many other things.

You want to mindlessly repeat this stupid mantra, be my guest, but I will point out how utterly stupid it is and how stupid you are for repeating it.

Really? lets take a couple of them

CCC, one team digging a ditch and another team filling it in, and both teams paid by the govt

WW2 bombers, yeah we built a bunch of pretty good planes and won the war, the question was it done efficiently.

Social security, the program is going broke because the govt (under LBJ) put the SS funds into the general fund and then spent them.

My point on electric cars is that private capital will do a much better job of developing the technology, government interference impedes progress, the profit motive accelerates progress.

I also object to the ignorant attitude from you and others that renewable energy will ever supply enough electricity to power this country. Nuclear might, but wind, solar etc will never be more than a small % of generation.

But when you find an electric that will power an 18 wheeler across the country driving day and night, you will become a very wealthy person.

Your ignorance is astounding. The cars hold enough power to go 7-10 days for the average driver. It's no problem if the wind failed to blow for days. One windy night per week will run 500 cars all week per wind turbine. The wind blows nearly every night in the wind corridor.

Right, if you drive 3 or 4 miles a day your charge might last for 7-10 days-------if you don't run the heater or AC. What fantasy land do you live in?

I know that you guys WANT electric cars to work----so do I. But we have to be realistic about it.

I have yet to hear one of you advocates come up with something that will power the millions of 18 wheelers, trains, and planes that keep our economy running and keep food on your tables.

for the near future electric cars will be an interesting toy, nothing more.

I know that you guys WANT electric cars to work----so do I. But we have to be realistic about it.

I have yet to hear one of you advocates come up with something that will power the millions of 18 wheelers, trains, and planes that keep our economy running and keep food on your tables.

It's amazing how you are ignorant of all the nonsenses you post. :spam:

You are oblivious to the facts & keep getting completely spanked on every post. :dig:

The concept of math & economy are completely foreign to you. :cuckoo:

Your ignorance is only exceeded by your arrogance. :eek:

Tesla stock topped $110 yesterday! It's up 400% in 6 months :laugh: :bye1:

8880090360_617dd822b7_b.jpg

You are oblivious to the facts & keep getting completely spanked on every post. :dig:

]

So their stock is up. All that means is that investors think it will go up some more. They are probably right, the hype that advocates like you keep spouting could cause a temporary stock price jump.

But again, thats not the point. If you think that a large number of americans are going to spend 120K for an experimental car that will go 30 miles between 8 hour charges, you are living in a dream world.

Understand, I want this to work, but its foolish to claim success before it arrives.

when a Tesla power plant will carry an 18 wheeler across the country without a recharge, you may have something, until then enjoy the fantasy.

Gas for cars is one of the most inefficient fuel sources. 75-85% of the fuel source is wasted. This is mostly because they are mobile fuel sources.

Stationary sources, like natural gas, coal and nuclear power plants are much more efficient.

Gas for cars is one of the most inefficient fuel sources. 75-85% of the fuel source is wasted. This is mostly because they are mobile fuel sources.

Stationary sources, like natural gas, coal and nuclear power plants are much more efficient.

true, then why aren't we working on more efficient gas engines for cars and trucks?

I think you are way off on your claim that 75-80% is wasted, but thats not the point.

Why not put equal effort into finding better ways to use our plentiful energy sources, in parallel with working on alternatives?

]

So their stock is up. All that means is that investors think it will go up some more. They are probably right, the hype that advocates like you keep spouting could cause a temporary stock price jump.

But again, thats not the point. If you think that a large number of americans are going to spend 120K for an experimental car that will go 30 miles between 8 hour charges, you are living in a dream world.

Understand, I want this to work, but its foolish to claim success before it arrives.

when a Tesla power plant will carry an 18 wheeler across the country without a recharge, you may have something, until then enjoy the fantasy.

You keep proving your stupidity & keep lying about the facts. Batteries can run 18 wheelers, but trucks are not efficient transporting goods across the country. Barges & trains are over 3 times more efficient than 18 wheelers. Trucks are only useful for regional & local transport. Cars & delivery trucks are the largest consumers of fuel & the least efficient at delivery. Battery powered vehicles have solved this.

A ocean cargo ship gets over 1,100 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A barge gets 575 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A train gets 425 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A semi truck gets 170 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A UPS delivery truck gets 15 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A Jet plane gets 7 net freight ton miles per gallon.
A fully loaded 1/2 ton pick-up truck gets 9 net freight ton miles per gallon.
An average 20-lbs of goods per car trip to the store empty one way gets 0.125 net freight ton miles per gallon.

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

5401863387_36732a10f4.jpg

Last edited:

]

You keep proving your stupidity & keep lying about the facts. Batteries can run 18 wheelers, but trucks are not efficient transporting goods across the country. Barges & trains are over 3 times more efficient than 18 wheelers. Trucks are only useful for regional & local transport. Cars & delivery trucks are the largest consumers of fuel & the least efficient at delivery. Battery powered vehicles have solved this.

An average 20-lbs of goods per car trip to the store empty one way gets 0.125 net freight ton miles per gallon.

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

just wonderful :cuckoo:

now where will the electricity come from to recharge all of those batteries? where will we dispose of the hazardous spent batteries?

your stats are correct on trains and barges, but its kind of hard for a train or barge to get to your local grocery store. There are also not enough rails and rivers to replace all of the 18 wheelers that cross the country every day.

Oil, gas, and coal are not evil substances, we have plenty of all of them. It is foolish to demonize our natural resources rather than try to use them more efficiently.

How much of the fuel used to produce electricity is wasted by electric cars? It's more like 95%

Until you count losses from storing it in batteries.

So one success out of how many failures?

How much money has Obama wasted with this program? How much of that money has done nothing but line the pockets of his contributors?

This nonsense again?

Solyndra Bankruptcy Unlikely to Hamper Gov?t Investment In Green Jobs - ABC News

Solyndra's Failure Is No Reason To Abandon Federal Energy Innovation Policy - Forbes

Obama's alternative energy bankruptcies - Oct. 22, 2012

I'm sure you will find plenty of dupe followers to buy into your argument that this is a waste of taxpayer money. Of course, we should probably shut down all federal funding of anything to do with science, because science and technology are just evil and a waste of time. :cuckoo:

Critical thinking at USMB is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack.

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

now where will the electricity come from to recharge all of those batteries? where will we dispose of the hazardous spent batteries?

your stats are correct on trains and barges, but its kind of hard for a train or barge to get to your local grocery store. There are also not enough rails and rivers to replace all of the 18 wheelers that cross the country every day.

Oil, gas, and coal are not evil substances, we have plenty of all of them. It is foolish to demonize our natural resources rather than try to use them more efficiently.

All your regurgitated question/lies have been answered. :cuckoo:

You demonized every alternative energy. I did not demonized any on this thread. I only smack down the lies you pussies post. Foreign oil wars should be demonized & the cost of war for oil is $1 a gallon for oil. That extra $1 a gallon oil cost is being subsidized by my income taxes, but should be paid by you at the pump.

So one success out of how many failures?

How much money has Obama wasted with this program? How much of that money has done nothing but line the pockets of his contributors?

This nonsense again?

Solyndra Bankruptcy Unlikely to Hamper Gov?t Investment In Green Jobs - ABC News

Solyndra's Failure Is No Reason To Abandon Federal Energy Innovation Policy - Forbes

Obama's alternative energy bankruptcies - Oct. 22, 2012

I'm sure you will find plenty of dupe followers to buy into your argument that this is a waste of taxpayer money. Of course, we should probably shut down all federal funding of anything to do with science, because science and technology are just evil and a waste of time. :cuckoo:

Critical thinking at USMB is a bit like finding a needle in a haystack.

Where does it say that one of the roles of government is to "invest" in science? We spent billions on the space program, sure we got a few good things out of it, like Tang and zero torque wrenches, but was it worth the hundreds of billions? Sure, it created jobs, but at what cost per job? Would that same money have been better spent on improving infrastructure, or left in the hands of taxpayers?

Did Edison, Ford, Bell, Curie, Gates, Jobs, etc depend on govt funding to develop their technologies?

You lefties always complain about govt spending on defence, but you are all ready to waste it on "science". Saving your life is less important to you than replacing evil oil? :confused:

628x471.jpg

628x471.jpg

You demonized every alternative energy. I did not demonized any on this thread. I only smack down the lies you pussies post. Foreign oil wars should be demonized & the cost of war for oil is $1 a gallon for oil. That extra $1 a gallon oil cost is being subsidized by my income taxes, but should be paid by you at the pump.

If you would pay attention rather than spouting left wing rants, you might understand what I am saying.

I am all in favor of finding alternative sources of energy and conserving our natural resources. I am just not in favor of doing it with tax money, I want private enterprise to find these things, I want the profit motive to be the driving force, not govt largess.

we should not be subsidizing any kind of energy. Let the oil companies compete with solar, wind, hydro etc on a level playing field. Get the government completely out of it.

If you would pay attention rather than spouting left wing rants, you might understand what I am saying.

I am all in favor of finding alternative sources of energy and conserving our natural resources. I am just not in favor of doing it with tax money, I want private enterprise to find these things, I want the profit motive to be the driving force, not govt largess.

we should not be subsidizing any kind of energy. Let the oil companies compete with solar, wind, hydro etc on a level playing field. Get the government completely out of it.

Yes - Get the government completely out of it! Princeton University published a peer-reviewed study proving the cost of keeping aircraft carriers in the Persian Gulf from 1976 to 2007 for the explicit mission of securing oil shipments was over $8 trillion. Oil can't compete unless it is subsidized by over 1$ a gallon with my income taxes & debt.

Oil has failed to deliver more energy per citizen since 1970 & is reducing energy since 2005.

134986-128559380577331-John-Polomny_origin.png

Oil Imports by Country
Oil_imports.PNG

Last edited:
yo kiss my ass,

try to engage your brain while reading. NO FORMS OF ENERGY SHOULD BE SUBSIDIZED.

the tax benefits that oil companies get be being allowed to write off exploration and development expenses were put in place by congress. Congress has been controlled by democrats for all but a few of the last 75 years.

If you have a problem with the tax code as it applies to oil companies, tell your democratic congressmen and senators

yo kiss my ass,

try to engage your brain while reading. NO FORMS OF ENERGY SHOULD BE SUBSIDIZED.

the tax benefits that oil companies get be being allowed to write off exploration and development expenses were put in place by congress. Congress has been controlled by democrats for all but a few of the last 75 years.

If you have a problem with the tax code as it applies to oil companies, tell your democratic congressmen and senators

You are an right wing talking points idiot.:spam::cuckoo:

You can't address any facts because you are an idiot.:cuckoo:

I never said anything about "write offs".:cuckoo:

You keep spewing moronic RW talking points because you are a retard who cant think, has no experience, uneducated, illiterate, can't do simple math & are clueless about economics.:spam::cuckoo:

I am done wasting my time with you clueless, hopeless retard. :eusa_hand::gives::fu:

Forum List

Back