Texas Brags To Court That It Drew District Lines To ‘Increase GOP Influence'

Seawytch

Information isnt Advocacy
Aug 5, 2010
Peaking out from the redwoods
Texas Brags To Court That It Drew District Lines To ‘Increase The Republican Party’s Electoral Prospects’

It’s not exactly a big secret that Texas Republicans drew their state’s district lines in order to maximize the weight of Republican voters and minimize the voting strength of Democrats. Still, this isn’t normally something that a state’s top legal officer openly admits to in a brief filed with a federal court. Nevertheless, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott (R) is so confident that the courts will let Texas Republicans get away with rigging elections that he openly brags about his fellow Republicans’ efforts to do so in an official court filing. According to a brief Abbott filed earlier this month, “n 2011, both houses of the Texas Legislature were controlled by large Republican majorities, and their redistricting decisions were designed to increase the Republican Party’s electoral prospects at the expense of the Democrats.”[...]

Texas is right, as far as it goes, that the purpose of the Voting Rights Act is to prevent race discrimination, not partisan gerrymandering. But that shouldn’t mean that the state is out of the woods. Partisan gerrymandering may not violate the VRA, but it violates the First Amendment, which prohibits laws that engage in viewpoint discrimination. When Texas draws lines to maximize Republican influence and minimize that of Democrats, it is essentially saying that people who hold one viewpoint should have their votes count more than people who espouse a different viewpoint. That is not allowed.[...]

Justice Kennedy, who’s cast the key fifth vote permitting such gerrymandering to continue unchecked, has also said that he will not completely rule out striking down a partisan gerrymander in the future. Citing one extreme example of a law he would strike down, Kennedy wrote in his concurring opinion in Vieth v. Jubelirer that “f a State passed an enactment that declared ‘All future apportionment shall be drawn so as most to burden Party X’s rights to fair and effective representation, though still in accord with one-person, one-vote principles,’ we would surely conclude the Constitution had been violated.”

In their rush to prove they weren't being racist when they redrew their lines, Texas may have allowed us to revisit Gerrymandering at the SCOTUS level...

Dumb-O-Crats do that in Illinois all the time, and have been doing it for decades.

Good for the Texas boys!

Texas Brags To Court That It Drew District Lines To ‘Increase The Republican Party’s Electoral Prospects’

It’s not exactly a big secret that Texas Republicans drew their state’s district lines in order to maximize the weight of Republican voters and minimize the voting strength of Democrats. Still, this isn’t normally something that a state’s top legal officer openly admits to in a brief filed with a federal court. Nevertheless, Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott (R) is so confident that the courts will let Texas Republicans get away with rigging elections that he openly brags about his fellow Republicans’ efforts to do so in an official court filing. According to a brief Abbott filed earlier this month, “n 2011, both houses of the Texas Legislature were controlled by large Republican majorities, and their redistricting decisions were designed to increase the Republican Party’s electoral prospects at the expense of the Democrats.”[...]

Texas is right, as far as it goes, that the purpose of the Voting Rights Act is to prevent race discrimination, not partisan gerrymandering. But that shouldn’t mean that the state is out of the woods. Partisan gerrymandering may not violate the VRA, but it violates the First Amendment, which prohibits laws that engage in viewpoint discrimination. When Texas draws lines to maximize Republican influence and minimize that of Democrats, it is essentially saying that people who hold one viewpoint should have their votes count more than people who espouse a different viewpoint. That is not allowed.[...]

Justice Kennedy, who’s cast the key fifth vote permitting such gerrymandering to continue unchecked, has also said that he will not completely rule out striking down a partisan gerrymander in the future. Citing one extreme example of a law he would strike down, Kennedy wrote in his concurring opinion in Vieth v. Jubelirer that “f a State passed an enactment that declared ‘All future apportionment shall be drawn so as most to burden Party X’s rights to fair and effective representation, though still in accord with one-person, one-vote principles,’ we would surely conclude the Constitution had been violated.”

In their rush to prove they weren't being racist when they redrew their lines, Texas may have allowed us to revisit Gerrymandering at the SCOTUS level...

Politicans create districts that aid the party in power. In other news gravity still makes things fall down.

Democrats do this regularly when they hold the state governments. Not a news story. Certainly no 1A issue. Dead thread.

And yet Partisan gerrymandering violates the 1st Amendment. Texas was stupid enough to admit it in a legal briefing.

Not seeing it. Is this one of your usual "the consitution says what I want it to say" concepts?

Democrats do this regularly when they hold the state governments. Not a news story. Certainly no 1A issue. Dead thread.

And yet Partisan gerrymandering violates the 1st Amendment. Texas was stupid enough to admit it in a legal briefing.

Not seeing it. Is this one of your usual "the consitution says what I want it to say" concepts?

Sorry, I'm not one of those 'the 2nd amendment means I get a tank' folks, but thanks for asking.

“The First Amendment may be the more relevant [more relevant than the 14th Amendment] constitutional provision in future cases that allege unconstitutional partisan gerrymandering. After all, these allegations involve the First Amendment interest of not burdening or penalizing citizens because of their participation in the electoral process, their voting history, their association with a political party, or their expression of political views.”
Gerrymandering: Violates First Amendment?

Partisan gerrymandering needs to stop. We stopped it in CA and a few other states have done it as well. Stop redistricting on party lines.

Morons.

The parties collaborate to gerrymander the districts.

It is in BOTH their interests to have secure congressional districts.

Sorry, I'm not one of those 'the 2nd amendment means I get a tank' folks, but thanks for asking.

“The First Amendment may be the more relevant [more relevant than the 14th Amendment] constitutional provision in future cases that allege unconstitutional partisan gerrymandering. After all, these allegations involve the First Amendment interest of not burdening or penalizing citizens because of their participation in the electoral process, their voting history, their association with a political party, or their expression of political views.”

Partisan gerrymandering needs to stop. We stopped it in CA and a few other states have done it as well. Stop redistricting on party lines.

The 2nd amendment does say I get to have a semi-automatic rifle, contrary to what the California Legislature thinks.

And california's system is interesting, but still open to shennanigans. Ill belive it when I see it, and after more than one election cycle.

The 2nd amendment does say I get to have a semi-automatic rifle, contrary to what the California Legislature thinks.

And california's system is interesting, but still open to shennanigans. Ill belive it when I see it, and after more than one election cycle.

No, actually the 2nd doesn't say anything of the sort even if you ARE a member of a "well regulated militia".

CA is much less likely to be "open to shenanigans" now that legislators, trying to keep their jobs safe, are not drawing them.

Whole buncha states need to do the same...most of the red.

The Great Gerrymander of 2012

Actually no one claims the 2A gives a right to a tank, but thanks for the strawman.
You prove your case by citing an opinion piece by IL League of Commie Voters that leaves it as a question. That is non proof.
TX did nothing that every other state, Democrat or Republican controlled, does. There is no 1A issue. Your post is a bogus tissue of lies, opinions, half truths and deflections. IOW, typical for you.

No, actually the 2nd doesn't say anything of the sort even if you ARE a member of a "well regulated militia".

CA is much less likely to be "open to shenanigans" now that legislators, trying to keep their jobs safe, are not drawing them.

Whole buncha states need to do the same...most of the red.

The Great Gerrymander of 2012

The milita is for the states. Arms are for the people, and my right to them should not be infringed. Its amazing how you can find "rights" you agree with in a document, yet ignore the actual words in the document when it suits you.

It makes you a hack.

Dimwits do the same thing and worse. The only reason the fool obamaturd wants amnesty is votes to keep fools like him in office.

Let me see if I have this right - Texas legislature draws district lines according to law, whiney ass liberals still not happy.

Conservatives only have contempt for the voters of this country. Remember, these are these people philosophically who enslaved millions and tried to divide the country to continue with what they consider their "right" as "white people" which the rest of the world considers evil. Except of course in Nazi Germany which we also defeated.

Of course they hate this president. Even plotting his downfall BEFORE he was even sworn in and it's driving them nuts they can't "get" something on him. Even going so far as to fabricate evidence (see Benghazi emails). These conservatives have damaged this country way more than al Qaeda could even dream about.

omg, when thinkprogress gets their panties in a bunch over Democrats doing this, I might get my panites in a bunch then...

another left wing site that is only there to rile up the Democrat cult members...notice they don't do a story on how the Democrats this too

Last edited:

Forum List

Back