Texas House approves sweeping abortion restrictions

Smilebong

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2013
Cold Cold North Country
If this causes all but 6 of Planned Parenthood's clinics in the state to close, it is a good thing.

By Corrie MacLaggan

AUSTIN, Texas | Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:20am EDT

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - The Texas House of Representatives approved sweeping abortion restrictions on Tuesday, including a ban after 20 weeks of pregnancy and tougher standards for clinics that perform the procedure.

The vote of 98-49 came after a full day of sometimes emotional debate. Before the measure can head to the state Senate, it needs a final vote from the House, which is expected on Wednesday.

The House approved the same proposal during a previous special session of the legislature, but it failed to pass in the Senate after Democratic Senator Wendy Davis staged an 11-hour filibuster that gained national attention.

Planned Parenthood, the country's largest provider of abortions, says the proposed stricter standards for clinics could cause all but six of the 42 abortion facilities in Texas to shut down. Bill author Republican Jodie Laubenberg said no facility would be forced to close.

Texas Governor Rick Perry, a Republican who opposes abortion, called lawmakers back to Austin for a second special session to reconsider the proposal. Most lawmakers in the Republican controlled Senate favor the bill.

Texas House approves sweeping abortion restrictions | Reuters

If this causes all but 6 of Planned Parenthood's clinics in the state to close, it is a good thing.

By Corrie MacLaggan

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - The Texas House of Representatives approved sweeping abortion restrictions on Tuesday, including a ban after 20 weeks of pregnancy and tougher standards for clinics that perform the procedure.

The vote of 98-49 came after a full day of sometimes emotional debate. Before the measure can head to the state Senate, it needs a final vote from the House, which is expected on Wednesday.

The House approved the same proposal during a previous special session of the legislature, but it failed to pass in the Senate after Democratic Senator Wendy Davis staged an 11-hour filibuster that gained national attention.

Planned Parenthood, the country's largest provider of abortions, says the proposed stricter standards for clinics could cause all but six of the 42 abortion facilities in Texas to shut down. Bill author Republican Jodie Laubenberg said no facility would be forced to close.

Texas Governor Rick Perry, a Republican who opposes abortion, called lawmakers back to Austin for a second special session to reconsider the proposal. Most lawmakers in the Republican controlled Senate favor the bill.

Nothing is being forced to close. They can upgrade thier facilities, or relocate to a facility that meets the standards. 20 weeks is 5 months into a preganancy, nearly 1/2 way there, and there are exceptions for mother's health.

Basically you cant have an elective abortion after 5 months, and the place you go to will be safer.

Makes sense to me...but it rankles those who support women's freedom to use their bodies in any manner they deem appropriate...and avoid the consequences...to say nothing of their brain dead partners.

In these days of Alinski Obama tyranny, I'm now convinced that there are plenty of situations where conservatism MUST take up issues with the idea that all non-violent means are fair.

Any legislative impediment to baby murder is justified. Really, by an means necessary.

I won't offer any fig leaf for this TX legislation. It's designed to save babies. ANY LEGISLATIVE MEANS. ANY. I'm OK with it.

Last edited:
In these days of Alinski Obama tyranny, I'm now convinced that there are plenty of situations where conservatism MUST take up issues with the idea that all means are fair.

Any legislative impediment to baby murder is justified. Really, by an means necessary.

I won't offer any fig leaf for this TX legislation. It's designed to save babies. ANY MEANS. ANY. I'm OK with it.

I agree. Any means is good. Well, except maybe murdering abortion doctors.

In these days of Alinski Obama tyranny, I'm now convinced that there are plenty of situations where conservatism MUST take up issues with the idea that all means are fair.

I won't offer any fig leaf for this TX legislation. It's designed to save babies. ANY MEANS. ANY. I'm OK with it.

I agree. Any means is good. Well, except maybe murdering abortion doctors.

Good point. I forgot to include the prohibition on violence. I usually do.

For a woman not wanting to bear a child, there is NO EXCUSE for letting it go this long.

This law is well within the guidelines of Roe v. Wade.

Kudo's to these legislators for doing the right thing.

They had to ram it through over the will of the majority in Texas during a special session where they had to suspend normal legislative rules (because they couldn't pass it during the last regular session).

and...

Federal courts have ruled that states can regulate abortions but not to the extent to make them impossible to obtain. That hasn’t stopped Republican-led legislatures in Texas and several other states from passing laws in recent years that test the legal limits.

Opponents of the Texas restrictions say they would effectively ban abortion in much of the nation’s second most-populous state by causing the closure of 37 of its 42 abortion clinics.

Houston Rep. Sarah Davis, the only Republican opposed to the law, warned that the bill as written is unconstitutional and she offered an amendment to make it less stringent.

“I believe the bill as drafted will be a de facto ban on abortion,” she said. “No one wants to see abortions, it’s a terrible way to end a pregnancy, but it is a constitutionally protected right.”

They also say the Texas restrictions and those passed by other states conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, which established that a woman has the right to get an abortion until her fetus could viably survive outside of the womb, which is generally at 22 to 24 weeks of the pregnancy.

Read more: Texas House Provisionally Approves Abortion Law | TIME.com

This will cause the menopausal and lesbian crowd to go apeshit... Anytime a state can make killing a innocent unborn human harder then it is a win.

Last edited:

By Corrie MacLaggan

If such a bill passes and is signed that denies equal access based on politically designated geographic limitations, a federal court will strike down the legislation.

They had to ram it through over the will of the majority in Texas during a special session where they had to suspend normal legislative rules (because they couldn't pass it during the last regular session).

and...

Federal courts have ruled that states can regulate abortions but not to the extent to make them impossible to obtain. That hasn’t stopped Republican-led legislatures in Texas and several other states from passing laws in recent years that test the legal limits.

Opponents of the Texas restrictions say they would effectively ban abortion in much of the nation’s second most-populous state by causing the closure of 37 of its 42 abortion clinics.

Houston Rep. Sarah Davis, the only Republican opposed to the law, warned that the bill as written is unconstitutional and she offered an amendment to make it less stringent.

“I believe the bill as drafted will be a de facto ban on abortion,” she said. “No one wants to see abortions, it’s a terrible way to end a pregnancy, but it is a constitutionally protected right.”

They also say the Texas restrictions and those passed by other states conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, which established that a woman has the right to get an abortion until her fetus could viably survive outside of the womb, which is generally at 22 to 24 weeks of the pregnancy.

Isnt the will of the people represented by the representatives in the legislature?

Those clinics can refurbish and meet the standards if they so choose. No one is forcing anyone to close anything.

Polls on topics like this can be written in such a way as to skew the response by 20%-30% easily. I take no stock from polls on things like this.

If the "will of the people" is being thwarted, these legislators will be thrown out next election.

There is nothing unconsitutional about this rule, even if you accept Roe V Wade as acceptable consitutional law.

Requiring that abortions be performed by doctors and that those abortions be performed in a facility able to deal with complications, in proximity to a hospital that could deal with serious complications is not unreasonable. It is common sense.

in my OPINION, it is NOT about women's freedom to choose, it is about saving the life of a baby :up:

i truly find it interesting that people who are in favor of killing a human baby will protest the killing of a baby Seal !!

Requiring that abortions be performed by doctors and that those abortions be performed in a facility able to deal with complications, in proximity to a hospital that could deal with serious complications is not unreasonable. It is common sense.
Liberals/lefties/progressives hate "common sense" with a passion.

They think it's a conservative Republican talking point. .. :cool:

and...

Isnt the will of the people represented by the representatives in the legislature?

Those clinics can refurbish and meet the standards if they so choose. No one is forcing anyone to close anything.

Polls on topics like this can be written in such a way as to skew the response by 20%-30% easily. I take no stock from polls on things like this.

If the "will of the people" is being thwarted, these legislators will be thrown out next election.

There is nothing unconsitutional about this rule, even if you accept Roe V Wade as acceptable consitutional law.

The Texas Legislature had to suspend it's rules to ram this through.

Specially targeting one medical procedure with undue regulations for the purpose of prohibiting that procedure is unconstitutional.

Texas will turn blue, this is just more writing on the wall.

and...

The Texas Legislature had to suspend it's rules to ram this through.

Specially targeting one medical procedure with undue regulations for the purpose of prohibiting that procedure is unconstitutional.

Texas will turn blue, this is just more writing on the wall.

So your against this sort of legislating???? Bet you agreed with something like this happening to get Obama-care rammed through huh?

Forum List

Back