Texas House approves sweeping abortion restrictions

Why the need to exempt rape and incest victims past 20 weeks? If they want ot terminate the pregnancy from something so horrible they wouldn't be rushing to get it done before 20 weeks?

I see no difference in murdering the baby of irresponsible sex and rape but...politically there's only so much that can be achieved at one time.

it's still taking a life in any case and at any point and time it is done. however, i do believe in cases of rape, incest and stuff like that, the victim should not be made to suffer as well. but it should be done as soon as possible.

They had to ram it through over the will of the majority in Texas during a special session where they had to suspend normal legislative rules (because they couldn't pass it during the last regular session).

and...

Federal courts have ruled that states can regulate abortions but not to the extent to make them impossible to obtain. That hasn’t stopped Republican-led legislatures in Texas and several other states from passing laws in recent years that test the legal limits.

Opponents of the Texas restrictions say they would effectively ban abortion in much of the nation’s second most-populous state by causing the closure of 37 of its 42 abortion clinics.

Houston Rep. Sarah Davis, the only Republican opposed to the law, warned that the bill as written is unconstitutional and she offered an amendment to make it less stringent.

“I believe the bill as drafted will be a de facto ban on abortion,” she said. “No one wants to see abortions, it’s a terrible way to end a pregnancy, but it is a constitutionally protected right.”

They also say the Texas restrictions and those passed by other states conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, which established that a woman has the right to get an abortion until her fetus could viably survive outside of the womb, which is generally at 22 to 24 weeks of the pregnancy.

Read more: Texas House Provisionally Approves Abortion Law | TIME.com
Strange, I don't recall you voicing that objection when Obamacare was passed.

I know right!! It always amuses me to here a lib chick scream about gov "staying out of her vagina" and then goes on to support gov healthcare.
So,stay out of my vagina,but your free to work on the life support system for said vagina?
Is she going to stop seeing her gynecologist?

An argument can be made that in cases where pregnancy occurs as a result of domestic abuse or incest fear may prevent the victim from seeking an abortion before 20-weeks. That the GOP has balked at funding VAWA, chooses to continue its war on women (remember, they opposed the ERA) and still wants others - Latinos at the moment - to believe they have a big tent is absurd.

an argument can also be made in those cases that if a life is going to be taken, take the life of the abuser

If this causes all but 6 of Planned Parenthood's clinics in the state to close, it is a good thing.

By Corrie MacLaggan

AUSTIN, Texas | Wed Jul 10, 2013 12:20am EDT

AUSTIN, Texas (Reuters) - The Texas House of Representatives approved sweeping abortion restrictions on Tuesday, including a ban after 20 weeks of pregnancy and tougher standards for clinics that perform the procedure.

The vote of 98-49 came after a full day of sometimes emotional debate. Before the measure can head to the state Senate, it needs a final vote from the House, which is expected on Wednesday.

The House approved the same proposal during a previous special session of the legislature, but it failed to pass in the Senate after Democratic Senator Wendy Davis staged an 11-hour filibuster that gained national attention.

Planned Parenthood, the country's largest provider of abortions, says the proposed stricter standards for clinics could cause all but six of the 42 abortion facilities in Texas to shut down. Bill author Republican Jodie Laubenberg said no facility would be forced to close.

Texas Governor Rick Perry, a Republican who opposes abortion, called lawmakers back to Austin for a second special session to reconsider the proposal. Most lawmakers in the Republican controlled Senate favor the bill.

Texas House approves sweeping abortion restrictions | Reuters

Score one for the protection of children and their crusaders! Too bad leftists cannot sacrifice their children's lives beyond the 20 week pregnancy any longer in Texas.. I know you libruls and your bloodlust runs deep.. no worries your leftist cesspools of slime still operate slaughterhouses up through the 9th month.

They had to ram it through over the will of the majority in Texas during a special session where they had to suspend normal legislative rules (because they couldn't pass it during the last regular session).

and...

Federal courts have ruled that states can regulate abortions but not to the extent to make them impossible to obtain. That hasn’t stopped Republican-led legislatures in Texas and several other states from passing laws in recent years that test the legal limits.

Opponents of the Texas restrictions say they would effectively ban abortion in much of the nation’s second most-populous state by causing the closure of 37 of its 42 abortion clinics.

Houston Rep. Sarah Davis, the only Republican opposed to the law, warned that the bill as written is unconstitutional and she offered an amendment to make it less stringent.

“I believe the bill as drafted will be a de facto ban on abortion,” she said. “No one wants to see abortions, it’s a terrible way to end a pregnancy, but it is a constitutionally protected right.”

They also say the Texas restrictions and those passed by other states conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, which established that a woman has the right to get an abortion until her fetus could viably survive outside of the womb, which is generally at 22 to 24 weeks of the pregnancy.

Isnt the will of the people represented by the representatives in the legislature?

Those clinics can refurbish and meet the standards if they so choose. No one is forcing anyone to close anything.

Polls on topics like this can be written in such a way as to skew the response by 20%-30% easily. I take no stock from polls on things like this.

If the "will of the people" is being thwarted, these legislators will be thrown out next election.

There is nothing unconsitutional about this rule, even if you accept Roe V Wade as acceptable consitutional law.

The Texas Legislature had to suspend it's rules to ram this through.

Specially targeting one medical procedure with undue regulations for the purpose of prohibiting that procedure is unconstitutional.

Texas will turn blue, this is just more writing on the wall.

No one is targeting one medical procedure with undue regulations. It has removed the exception of abortion clinics to operate without regulation. Abortion clinics have to abide by the same regulations as clinics that do cataract surgery or cosmetic surgery. If a doctor has to be a doctor to put in breast implants, the doctor has to be a doctor to take out a baby.

Because I am an Evangelical Christian, I believe that abortion (except in the case of incest and the health of the mother) is tantamount to murder. I am very glad that Texas has exercised its right to pass this law which outlaws abortion after 20 weeks of pregnancy. The other big change is that it requires abortion clinincs to put in place facilities that are similar to a surgery center. Planned Parenthood says that only six of 42 clinics in the state will have to close. Uhhhh, excuse me but I now have some questions...

You mean that abortion isn't treated as a surgery now? That in and by itself is scary. Course, having paid little attention to the Gosnell trial, because I KNEW I couldn't handle what that maggot did to those babies, I can see now that it is treated with the same care as getting a tatoo or your ears pierced. If Planned Parenthood's clinics are more like tatoo parlors instead of surgery centers, then nothing about this section of the bill concerns me or anyone else actually. I thought the left was all about regulation and making things safer? Oh you mean regulations are just for the evil coal industry and sermons from the pulpit...

Also, doesn't Planned Parenthood literally SCREAM about the facts (THEIR facts) that only a small percentage of their business is abortion. Why, I thought they were all about getting women breast exams, pap smears and contraceptive information? If only a small percentage of their business is abortion, then why are they closing these clinics? Could it be that Planned Parenthood's line is nothing but CRAP? Could it possibly be that Planned Parenthood is the abortion mill that they have been accused of being? Probably...

No abortions AFTER 20 weeks of pregnancy, except in the case of incest or health of the mother. Okay, this question is for the ladies primarily. Why would a woman wait 20 weeks to get an abortion? That is five months! Can someone clue me in as to why, when we have contraception and the morning after pill, a woman would let herself balloon to five months of pregnancy and then come into a clinic and say I want an abortion?

You know if you go down into the inner city in Austin, Houston or Dallas, you get very blue entitlement Democratic precincts. But Texas is a very large state and the inner city of Austin, Houston and Dallas are small compared to places like Lubbock, Tyler, Mineola, and other places. Same in Oklahoma. The Oklahoma City and Tulsa inner cities are the exact same way. But there's Bartlesville, Muskogee, Ada and others where it's not. The state legislature of both states are jam packed with Republicans. Super majorities from those areas that are NOT inner city. And those majorities aren't sitting on their hands.

We've got laws being passed in BOTH states that protect the 2nd Amendment. Crime is down in both states. Income taxes in Oklahoma are being slashed and OH MY GOD, we've got a 600 million dollar rainy-day fund now when it was ZERO when the last Democratic governor left. 50% of Obama's job creation came from the state of Texas alone. Oklahoma has thrown in 5%. We're right-to-work but we've got companies moving to both states from the east and west coast. Hopefully, we can coerce the gun manufacturers from the northeast to follow suit. The Welders and Pipe Fitters union is literally taking out full-page ads around here disparaging Obama for his stance on the Keystone and they have supported the REPUBLICAN governor, much to the displeasure of their national leaders.

Under Obama and the Democrats, the only bright spot are the Republican led states... It's just the facts.

Last edited:
It isn't troubling to anyone that abortionists prefer women to get abortions from someone hired off the street yesterday; can't take care of ordinary complications; can't get a serious complication to a hospital; doesn't even have to have sufficient medical equipment on site to perform a proper procedure. That doesn't bother anyone? There is no difference between abortionists today and the coat hangars of a generation ago except that today they can charge more and get to wear a white coat.

Isnt the will of the people represented by the representatives in the legislature?

Those clinics can refurbish and meet the standards if they so choose. No one is forcing anyone to close anything.

Polls on topics like this can be written in such a way as to skew the response by 20%-30% easily. I take no stock from polls on things like this.

If the "will of the people" is being thwarted, these legislators will be thrown out next election.

There is nothing unconsitutional about this rule, even if you accept Roe V Wade as acceptable consitutional law.

Specially targeting one medical procedure with undue regulations for the purpose of prohibiting that procedure is unconstitutional.

But it's not prohibiting abortion.

It will at 37 clinics around the state.

But it's not prohibiting abortion.

It will at 37 clinics around the state.

Clinics that should never have existed in the first place. They are unsafe using incompetent personnel to perform abortions.

and...

Strange, I don't recall you voicing that objection when Obamacare was passed.

Texas passed Healthcare Reform?

It isn't troubling to anyone that abortionists prefer women to get abortions from someone hired off the street yesterday; can't take care of ordinary complications; can't get a serious complication to a hospital; doesn't even have to have sufficient medical equipment on site to perform a proper procedure. That doesn't bother anyone? There is no difference between abortionists today and the coat hangars of a generation ago except that today they can charge more and get to wear a white coat.

because the real war on women is going from the left - ALWAYS - abortion/contraception and so on is about population control of the low castes - and if the woman dies in Gosnell-like clinic - they do not care - they know perfectly well that THEY themselves won't go to this type of clinic because they are ELITE and it won't affect them, but for the ones whose population has to be strictly controlled it doesn't matter what kind of procedures and by whom are being provided

Vox is as nonsensical as Katzndogz: all these assertions, no evidence.

Jake Starkey is trolling as always. No facts just stupid comments

Vox continues to troll as always, only hot air no facts.

But, Vox me this :lol: You do understand a federal court will put an end to this bill, don't you?

Jake,

tumblr_mh6yzw9L001qzvi28o1_400.jpg

That is a good picture of the Smeal trolls that somehow think that a Texas legislature can take equal access away.

Strange little trolls.

Vox continues to troll as always, only hot air no facts.

But, Vox me this :lol: You do understand a federal court will put an end to this bill, don't you?

no, it won't. Now, go away, troll :D

Yup, just like federal courts have put away such bill several times over the last few years.

Too bad, little trolls, too bad.

Now give us some evidence that supports the ludicrous contentions of the bill.

No one is targeting one medical procedure with undue regulations. It has removed the exception of abortion clinics to operate without regulation. Abortion clinics have to abide by the same regulations as clinics that do cataract surgery or cosmetic surgery. If a doctor has to be a doctor to put in breast implants, the doctor has to be a doctor to take out a baby.

“Abortion is a procedure. It’s not really a surgery. There’s not any incisions, there’s not any stitches. The procedure itself takes maybe five or 10 minutes. So it’s not like an operation that has multiple physicians where the patients knee is open or her belly is open for a sort of more invasive that this sort of ambulatory surgical center was really devised for," Miller said.

Issue in Texas Abortion Debate: What's an Ambulatory Surgical Center? | KUT News

Forum List

Back