Texas House approves sweeping abortion restrictions

I thought that it is the left who believe in science, yet they are rejecting the scientific proof that a fetus can feel pain at 20 weeks.
It is barbaric to rip apart a little fetus that can feel pain.
How would you like it if someone ripped off your arms, legs and head? That is exactly what happens with an abortion.
I also see no problem with wanting women to have abortion clinics to have all the equipment that might be needed to save a woman's life at any time of an emergency that might happen with an abortion.

They had to ram it through over the will of the majority in Texas during a special session where they had to suspend normal legislative rules (because they couldn't pass it during the last regular session).

and...

Federal courts have ruled that states can regulate abortions but not to the extent to make them impossible to obtain. That hasn’t stopped Republican-led legislatures in Texas and several other states from passing laws in recent years that test the legal limits.

Opponents of the Texas restrictions say they would effectively ban abortion in much of the nation’s second most-populous state by causing the closure of 37 of its 42 abortion clinics.

Houston Rep. Sarah Davis, the only Republican opposed to the law, warned that the bill as written is unconstitutional and she offered an amendment to make it less stringent.

“I believe the bill as drafted will be a de facto ban on abortion,” she said. “No one wants to see abortions, it’s a terrible way to end a pregnancy, but it is a constitutionally protected right.”

They also say the Texas restrictions and those passed by other states conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, which established that a woman has the right to get an abortion until her fetus could viably survive outside of the womb, which is generally at 22 to 24 weeks of the pregnancy.

Read more: Texas House Provisionally Approves Abortion Law | TIME.com

Isnt the will of the people represented by the representatives in the legislature?

Those clinics can refurbish and meet the standards if they so choose. No one is forcing anyone to close anything.

Polls on topics like this can be written in such a way as to skew the response by 20%-30% easily. I take no stock from polls on things like this.

If the "will of the people" is being thwarted, these legislators will be thrown out next election.

There is nothing unconsitutional about this rule, even if you accept Roe V Wade as acceptable consitutional law.

The Texas Legislature had to suspend it's rules to ram this through.

Specially targeting one medical procedure with undue regulations for the purpose of prohibiting that procedure is unconstitutional.

Texas will turn blue, this is just more writing on the wall.

So the new regulations apply ONLY to abortion, and not ANY other medical procedure, like surgery, either inpatient or outpatient? Thats a Lie by you right there.

Tell me how the legislature suspended the need for a majority vote to pass it before you go all apeshit over "the will of the people"

And keep hoping on this texas going blue thing.

The same set so fixed on preventing gun controls, which claimed the reaction to the horror of Sandy Hook was a hysterical response by gun grabbers, are now willing to deny the right to all women their right to choose and are using hysterical rhetoric to justify the state taking control of a women's health.

But, but..but.. the Second Amendment gives everyone the right to own and use a gun on whomever they choose. The Constitution says so.

Nothing is being forced to close. They can upgrade thier facilities, or relocate to a facility that meets the standards. 20 weeks is 5 months into a preganancy, nearly 1/2 way there, and there are exceptions for mother's health.

Basically you cant have an elective abortion after 5 months, and the place you go to will be safer.

It is not "nearly" it is half-way there, very often past half way. Normal pregnancy is counted to be 40 weeks.

The same set so fixed on preventing gun controls, which claimed the reaction to the horror of Sandy Hook was a hysterical response by gun grabbers, are now willing to deny the right to all women their right to choose and are using hysterical rhetoric to justify the state taking control of a women's health.

But, but..but.. the Second Amendment gives everyone the right to own and use a gun on whomever they choose. The Constitution says so.

If you dont like what it says try to amend it. Just like if you want the right to have an abortion until the last minute of pregnancy done by a doctor with no qualifications, make an amendment to allow it.

They had to ram it through over the will of the majority in Texas during a special session where they had to suspend normal legislative rules (because they couldn't pass it during the last regular session).

and...

Federal courts have ruled that states can regulate abortions but not to the extent to make them impossible to obtain. That hasn’t stopped Republican-led legislatures in Texas and several other states from passing laws in recent years that test the legal limits.

Opponents of the Texas restrictions say they would effectively ban abortion in much of the nation’s second most-populous state by causing the closure of 37 of its 42 abortion clinics.

Houston Rep. Sarah Davis, the only Republican opposed to the law, warned that the bill as written is unconstitutional and she offered an amendment to make it less stringent.

“I believe the bill as drafted will be a de facto ban on abortion,” she said. “No one wants to see abortions, it’s a terrible way to end a pregnancy, but it is a constitutionally protected right.”

They also say the Texas restrictions and those passed by other states conflict with the U.S. Supreme Court’s 1973 Roe v. Wade decision, which established that a woman has the right to get an abortion until her fetus could viably survive outside of the womb, which is generally at 22 to 24 weeks of the pregnancy.

Isnt the will of the people represented by the representatives in the legislature?

Those clinics can refurbish and meet the standards if they so choose. No one is forcing anyone to close anything.

Polls on topics like this can be written in such a way as to skew the response by 20%-30% easily. I take no stock from polls on things like this.

If the "will of the people" is being thwarted, these legislators will be thrown out next election.

There is nothing unconsitutional about this rule, even if you accept Roe V Wade as acceptable consitutional law.

Specially targeting one medical procedure with undue regulations for the purpose of prohibiting that procedure is unconstitutional.

But it's not prohibiting abortion.

If such a bill passes and is signed that denies equal access based on politically designated geographic limitations, a federal court will strike down the legislation.
Which once again; would make a mockery of 'states rights'. .. :evil:

No federal court will strike down this legislation. There was a better chance that this legislation would be struck down before the Kermit Gosnell trial, but there's no chance at all now. The new rules governing abortion clinics are no different than those covering any other kind of out patient surgery.

Why the need to exempt rape and incest victims past 20 weeks? If they want ot terminate the pregnancy from something so horrible they wouldn't be rushing to get it done before 20 weeks?

If such a bill passes and is signed that denies equal access based on politically designated geographic limitations, a federal court will strike down the legislation.
Which once again; would make a mockery of 'states rights'. .. :evil:

No federal court will strike down this legislation. There was a better chance that this legislation would be struck down before the Kermit Gosnell trial, but there's no chance at all now. The new rules governing abortion clinics are no different than those covering any other kind of out patient surgery.

i believe these provisions have passed in a number of other states already too

If you dont like what it says try to amend it. Just like if you want the right to have an abortion until the last minute of pregnancy done by a doctor with no qualifications, make an amendment to allow it.

I'm not interested in needing an abortion, I had a vasectomy decades ago after our second child was born. The point I made and you misconstrued with malice and intent was the hypocrisy on the right. I mention the Second only because your side uses it avoid debate (as you did here) on reasonable efforts to prevent violence against innocent persons.

I might have added - and will now - that those on the right so against harming an innocent life are unwilling to provide the funds for prenatal health care and well baby checks after the birth, opposed to providing easy and cheap access to birth control, and age appropriate education in the public schools.

Last edited:
Why the need to exempt rape and incest victims past 20 weeks? If they want ot terminate the pregnancy from something so horrible they wouldn't be rushing to get it done before 20 weeks?

I see no difference in murdering the baby of irresponsible sex and rape but...politically there's only so much that can be achieved at one time.

An argument can be made that in cases where pregnancy occurs as a result of domestic abuse or incest fear may prevent the victim from seeking an abortion before 20-weeks. That the GOP has balked at funding VAWA, chooses to continue its war on women (remember, they opposed the ERA) and still wants others - Latinos at the moment - to believe they have a big tent is absurd.

So your against this sort of legislating???? Bet you agreed with something like this happening to get Obama-care rammed through huh?

This is about Texas not the President.

Liberal opinion of whether a woman should be forced the bear the child of a rapist and it's best to execute the child pretty much falls apart when considered under the facts of Jaycee Dugard and Amanda Berry. Both women were underage girls when raped, impregnated and forced to give birth. Yet not a single liberal would execute the children born of rape and forced birth. Neither Dugard nor Berry are giving the children of rape up now that they can do so.

and...

Strange, I don't recall you voicing that objection when Obamacare was passed.

Forum List

Back