Texas school district 'postpones' a Black author's school visit because parents claim his books teach critical race theory

Otis Mayfield

Diamond Member
Sep 17, 2021
newkid-p3-1582726683.jpg

A school district in Texas removed books by an award-winning author from its schools' library shelves and postponed a virtual event he had been invited to because of a complaint that his books promote critical race theory.
Jerry Craft, a New York Times bestselling and Newbery winning author and illustrator, was invited to do a virtual visit by the Katy Independent School District, a suburb 30 miles west of Houston, Texas, on October 4.
Approximately 5,000 students were invited to be part of the event, Katy ISD spokesperson Laura A. Davis told CNN in a statement Thursday. But because of "one formal challenge," the district postponed the event.

As of Thursday afternoon, "New Kid" was listed the #1 bestseller on Amazon's list for "Children's Boys & Men Books."

Well that's good, at least it was good advertising for the book.

Do you think such a book should be banned?

newkid-p3-1582726683.jpg

A school district in Texas removed books by an award-winning author from its schools' library shelves and postponed a virtual event he had been invited to because of a complaint that his books promote critical race theory.
Jerry Craft, a New York Times bestselling and Newbery winning author and illustrator, was invited to do a virtual visit by the Katy Independent School District, a suburb 30 miles west of Houston, Texas, on October 4.
Approximately 5,000 students were invited to be part of the event, Katy ISD spokesperson Laura A. Davis told CNN in a statement Thursday. But because of "one formal challenge," the district postponed the event.

As of Thursday afternoon, "New Kid" was listed the #1 bestseller on Amazon's list for "Children's Boys & Men Books."

We knew it was ONLY about race, period.

What is evil about the book?

Can't tell unless we read the WHOLE BOOK.

I wish I had a dollar for every book I've seen pilloried on these sorts of forums and nearly everyone talking about them never read a single page.

At least there are a few pages shown here. The point of the problem, if any, is clearly going to be after the kid gets to the prep school and the dreaded "White Privilege" kicks in. Assuming it does. Looks like the basic plot is going to be, kid wants to be an artist, but Mom is lethally upperwardly mobile.

It happens.

newkid-p3-1582726683.jpg

I looked at many of the pages at Amazon with their "look inside" function. I don't know if I'll buy it, but it looks innocent enough.

Do you think such a book should be banned
Banned from school libraries or from public selling of from what? Basically, banning books is the thing that reminds of good old totalitarian regimes.

So I bought and read this children's book, Jerry Craft's New Kid. It's a real graphic novel, long form, more than an inch thick. Good cartooning, and I much enjoyed the story. It's about a black middle-class kid who goes to a prestigious prep school, evidently on their affirmative action outreach, because he's on scholarship. There is some whining about race early on, but it wins through to the kids growing older and getting used to things and doing better.

The book is charming and has likeable characters and it is very popular, and I can see why ---- I enjoyed it, read it all at once. Of course the book should not be banned!!

The real issue is postponing the author's big hoopla in Texas: they planned to trot him out before lots of schools and carry on about it. IS the story Critical Race Theory? Not sure ---- there's a few things in there that could be, and weren't even believable. But most of the critical against white stuff could also be ---- fair enough. That no one white can remember the black kids' names, gets them mixed up. I can believe that, and it's a reasonable focus for grouching about.

I don't think they should parade this author around to all colors of kids and make a big thing about how awful white kids are in the process. THAT is indeed CRT, and unacceptable. That should be cancelled, but the book is okay. Nearly all books are okay, after all. In fact, I can't think of any that aren't. And I've read all the famous low spots.

Jerry Craft says that the controversy has been great for his book sales ---- and since I bought a copy, I believe it!

Forum List

Back