That sick feeling in the pit of your stomach....

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
...when the scanner went off announcing a 10/50 (accident) between a motorcycle and a truck. It was only a couple miles away from here. They requested a Med-Flight at first but after a few minutes, cancelled it and called for the Coroner.

This time of year always seems to bring out hundreds of motorcycles. I'm not much of a bike-guy myself, but I don't like it when things like that happen.

...when the scanner went off announcing a 10/50 (accident) between a motorcycle and a truck. It was only a couple miles away from here. They requested a Med-Flight at first but after a few minutes, cancelled it and called for the Coroner.

This time of year always seems to bring out hundreds of motorcycles. I'm not much of a bike-guy myself, but I don't like it when things like that happen.

Agreed. And yet when a two wheeler exceeds the speed limit and weaves in and out of the lanes, such events are commonplace. Those who need to see the result, and those who need to pick up the pieces suffer nightmares.

A few years back my brother and I were fishing on a bridge over a tributary of the Susquehanna River when a guy ran his super bike through the nearby guardrail. While my brother dialed 911 I aided a stopped motorist in lifting the bike off the cycle driver, who was drunk as hell. We did what could for him until the medevac chopper landed on the bridge and got him out of there. A few weeks later I received a subpoena to testify against the cycle driver for DUI. He ended up pleading guilty.

Check with any emergency room. They usually don't do it in public, but among themselves, they call them donor cycles instead of motorcycles.

Riding a bike is so crazy that purportedly most biker gangs lose more members to wrecks than turf wars.

Riding a bike is so crazy that purportedly most biker gangs lose more members to wrecks than turf wars.

I love riding, but you have to figure out what cars are going to do before you can figure out what you are going to do.

It's basic Newtonian physics: motorcycle + any car + any major collision = death for the motorcycle rider. Do people not realize how many times heavier a car is than a motorbike?

A few years back my brother and I were fishing on a bridge over a tributary of the Susquehanna River when a guy ran his super bike through the nearby guardrail. While my brother dialed 911 I aided a stopped motorist in lifting the bike off the cycle driver, who was drunk as hell. We did what could for him until the medevac chopper landed on the bridge and got him out of there. A few weeks later I received a subpoena to testify against the cycle driver for DUI. He ended up pleading guilty.

Years ago my college GF and I were on our way to the Boat Show, and as we drove on the Great Highway (which runs along Ocean Beach and turns inland behind the SF Zoo) we saw what looked lie someone with two flares, a white one and a red one spinning in vertical circles. I put on my brakes just in time to realize it was a car in the ice plant (the median) rolling over and over. I pulled over thinking someone might have been killed or seriously hurt, and as I approached the car five or six kids about High School Age were climbing out and one was yelling to hide the beer.

None of them seemed hurt, so we went on our way.

Utah had 24 or 25 motorcycle deaths in the first six months this year.

Owned one for 2-3 years. Fired it up one spring, drove it around for a while, parked it and never touched it again that year. Sold it the following spring.

I think I just finally decided you could be as safety conscious as can be, as one should, when riding a motorcycle, but you’ve got no control over folks driving cars who are a danger to everyone on the roads but most especially bikers for whom they are a very unfair matchup.

I love riding. Used to ride dirt bikes for years also.
But sadly, my old Honda Nighthawk engine smokes to beat hell. Not worth putting money in the engine as that would cost double what I bought the bike for years ago.
Have to wait a couple years until I think of a replacement.
The snowmobile will have to give me my speed rush for the time being.

Forum List

Back