That southern drawl

Had an aunt by marriage up in the mountains whose used to have a peculiar accent and a vocabulary of very odd words and phrases peppered in. Wasn't until I went to Ireland that it dawned on me that a lot of those odd words and phrases were very similar like calling breakfast "breakie".

I met a woman a long time ago who had a very broad, flat accent that I swore was Boston the more I listened to it.

Is there a more cultured accent than Boston? I mean, if you forget about the PAHK the CAH in the YAHD stuff. I mean a lot like Thurston Howell III.

Turned out she was from New Orleans, born and raised, and she told me that her accent was very common for down there.

Astonishingly intelligent woman, too! Watching her mind work was fascinating!

It makes the proggies feel better about themselves to believe that Southerners are RUBES and REDNECKS and UNEDUCATED HICKS, so let them have their fun.

You ain't really Southern unless you murder a crape myrtle every year.

And when you rake the yard you whine about all those pecans you come across....all that goodness just wasted.

Besides, for every "R" that people from Boston don't pronounce there is a redneck putting in an extra.

Had an aunt by marriage up in the mountains whose used to have a peculiar accent and a vocabulary of very odd words and phrases peppered in. Wasn't until I went to Ireland that it dawned on me that a lot of those odd words and phrases were very similar like calling breakfast "breakie".

When I was a kid saying 'ain't' was viewed as 'low class' and frowned on by the allegedly educated. We learned later on it was actually 'Queen's English' usage among the noble classes. lol so much for the 'elites' posturing. Most southern English and their archaic terminologies were viewed the same way by northeastern poseurs in academia.

I met a woman a long time ago who had a very broad, flat accent that I swore was Boston the more I listened to it.

Is there a more cultured accent than Boston? I mean, if you forget about the PAHK the CAH in the YAHD stuff. I mean a lot like Thurston Howell III.

Turned out she was from New Orleans, born and raised, and she told me that her accent was very common for down there.

Astonishingly intelligent woman, too! Watching her mind work was fascinating!

It makes the proggies feel better about themselves to believe that Southerners are RUBES and REDNECKS and UNEDUCATED HICKS, so let them have their fun.

I have traveled extensively in the US. I am a southerner. I have enjoyed having people, especially New Englanders, assume my southern accent meant I was a rube. Loved bursting that bubble.

New York City residents are some of the biggest hicks and rubes in the country. They have all those great museums and a world class library, theatre all over the place, etc., and most of the residents never ever go near any of that, it's nearly all tourists who visit. The local yokels never go. I laugh every time some clueless idiot babbles about their 'sophistication and education levels'. Gomer Pyle was better read than most of them.

New York City residents are some of the biggest hicks and rubes in the country. They have all those great museums and a world class library, theatre all over the place, etc., and most of the residents never ever go near any of that, it's nearly all tourists who visit. The local yokels never go. I laugh every time some clueless idiot babbles about their 'sophistication and education levels'. Gomer Pyle was better read than most of them.

Those museums. library, theatre, et cetera, are all the reasons I ever wanted to visit NYC.

The locals are the reasons I never did.

I have traveled extensively in the US. I am a southerner. I have enjoyed having people, especially New Englanders, assume my southern accent meant I was a rube. Loved bursting that bubble.
I'll never forget that time I was in the South American jungle in a tiny little town just inside the Brazilian border talking with this woman who was very proud of her chickens she was raising.
She also had what was considered a very good house because she had a tiny wire bringing electricity into her house. (I used the same size wire for your average plug in houses)

But then her very pretty daughter came by....turns out she is a genetic engineer for crops....she genetically engineers crops by splicing DNA to get desired results.

Ya never really know.....

Those museums. library, theatre, et cetera, are all the reasons I ever wanted to visit NYC.

The locals are the reasons I never did.

New Yorkers are some of the most aggressively rude people I have ever encountered. Like living in a concrete jungle is something to be proud of, despite avoiding the actual beauty and culture available.

I've met some nice people from Brooklyn, and we have friends who live in Mameroneck, it isn't NYC but close by, that we visit every year. Go to Manhattan and hardly anybody is actually from there, they're all from 'Somewhere Else', so it's not just the natives who are assholes and rude. Upstate has a lot of nice people, and beautiful scenery as well.

You ain't really Southern unless you murder a crape myrtle every year.

And when you rake the yard you whine about all those pecans you come across....all that goodness just wasted.

Besides, for every "R" that people from Boston don't pronounce there is a redneck putting in an extra.

A lot of people (and just about every actor who tries to put on a Boston accent) don't realize that part of the accent IS putting Rs where lesser creatures can't see them.

New Yorkers are assholes to everyone because even New Yorkers hate New Yorkers.

I'll never forget that time I was in the South American jungle in a tiny little town just inside the Brazilian border talking with this woman who was very proud of her chickens she was raising.
She also had what was considered a very good house because she had a tiny wire bringing electricity into her house. (I used the same size wire for your average plug in houses)

But then her very pretty daughter came by....turns out she is a genetic engineer for crops....she genetically engineers crops by splicing DNA to get desired results.

Ya never really know.....

New Yorkers are some of the most aggressively rude people I have ever encountered. Like living in a concrete jungle is something to be proud of, despite avoiding the actual beauty and culture available.

i disagree....when i was in nyc they werent what one would call polite but they were helpful

Forum List

Back