The 2009 Baseball Season Thread

Pitchers rarely hit the waver wire.

All NY needed was a guy like Zack Duke from the Pirates, it didn't need Halladay.

Moyer cleared waivers, and has proven to be one of our more reliable pitchers. He was absolutely awesome in the playoffs last year, and I thought he'd be our weak link. I don't know how the guy does it, but it's so funny to watch the big boys get beat by a guy throwing 80 mph.

I'd glady give him to you right now, just as a friendly gesture. Not that I don't like him or want him necessarily, I just hate that JA Happ is going to get moved to the bullpen because of Cliff Lee's arrival, and poor ol' Pedro is too good for relief. When's the last time a 7-2 guy with a sub-3 ERA got moved to the pen?

At this point, I hope not. I'm still perplexed by the deal. He doesn't fit into our clubhouse at all. He's a selfish cancer on an otherwise stable team with great chemistry.

I predict before the season is over, he has something smart ass to say to the media about the organization. It'll come right around when he proves to be a washed up failure, and we try and move him out of the rotation. His true colors will show through.

You wonder if Boston & NY even pay attention to their own rosters sometimes, Boston did NOT need a catcher/1B/DH, that was something they had plenty of,

Varitek is 37 years old and batting .236 :eusa_whistle:

You probaly got him in case you couldn't swing a deal, but since you have Lee, Pedro is expendable.

That's not the word, though. The word is, when Pedro is ready, Happ moves to the bullpen.

If he doesn't perform, it's anyone's guess how that goes. Does he graciously bow out and go to the pen for the team, or does he complain about it?

History already shows us how that'll go.

He's also the team captain and field leader of the club, if he sits he can't be either.

It'll be perfect. Varitek will have less of a burden behind the plate which will probably help his hitting and Martinez will play first half the time which will allow Lowell some rest as well.

Tigs look truly awful at depleted Cleveland. We don't really deserve to be leading the central after performances like this.

He's also the team captain and field leader of the club, if he sits he can't be either.

Tek needs the time off.

Even when he's sitting on the bench he's still the team captain and we've got plenty of veteran leadership on the field to not have to worry about falling apart if he's not there to lead him. And don't forget that Martinez has caught back to back CY Young award winners so he's got to be doing something right behind the dish.

Lowell needs the time off too and Ortiz isn't the same player anymore. There's nothing wrong with sitting him, Lowell, and Ortiz a couple of times a week to keep Martinez in the lineup every day.

What we REALLY needed was to lose J.D. Drew and get a new right fielder but with his contract we know that wasn't happening.

Wow, tough series against the Giants. Lost 3 of 4.

They're a scary team, and now that Zito has been picking it up they have a shot to spoil someone's chances if they sneak in with the wild card.

Most likely we'd be playing them in the NLDS if the standings stay like they are.

I think they worry me more than LA, to be honest. That rotation is just sick.

I'd like to go on record as saying I called it back in the spring when this thread got started:

I'm calling Reds and Giants as my two potential sleepers, leaning more towards the Giants. You can't overlook that rotation!

licenseplate.jpg

fenway3.gif

Any questions?
icon_twisted.gif

We got our solid 3rd closer. Jarrod Washburn from Seattle. OK, he'll go to free agency at the end of the season but we didn't give up any major prospects for him. I think this is a really good deal for us.

Doesn't help the bullpen of course, except if Leyland is planning to have the starters go for complete games only.

Hmmm. He's in line for the loss tonight. Tigers anaemic hitting (1 for 8 with RISP -uuugh!) and some nice Orioles D more to blame than his pitching IMO.

Unless there's a big surprise we'll lose this one. But I've got tix for tomorrow night and Ed Jackson is on the mound. It's all good.....

Last edited:
Pettit is great as NY smacks around Halladay, hitting three HR off him.

Boston ahead in the 7th, so it looks like no change tonight in the standings.

I was wrong, Red Sox pen couldn't hold the lead and Boston lost on Longoria's second HR of the night, 4-2.

NY now leads by 1 1/2.

Forum List

Back