The 2009 Baseball Season Thread

20 mil would put Boston dangerous close to the luxury tax crap, so I had a feeling boston wasn't going there.

NY wasn't giving Joba or Hughes, so the Yankees were out.

After them, who has the money or prospects for halladay?

Nobody obviously.

We got our solid 3rd closer. Jarrod Washburn from Seattle. OK, he'll go to free agency at the end of the season but we didn't give up any major prospects for him. I think this is a really good deal for us.

Doesn't help the bullpen of course, except if Leyland is planning to have the starters go for complete games only.

NY now being killed by the pale hose, Cashman will regret not getting another starter.

Boston has already won, so it's 1 1/2 now.

Boston now has 4 1st baseman (three if you leave out Ortiz).

I find that sort of queer.

When the V-Mart deal was going through, they probably thought "We've got to get rid of LaRoche, because we have too many first basemen. Lets trade him for a first baseman."

Funny thing is that Kotchman was who the Angels traded for Teixiera.

Cliff Lee, baby!

Brilliant in his debut.

I fell asleep wondering if I was going to miss a no-hitter. I hate west coast trips with late night ballgames.

Lee is money, it was a nice pickup.

Sports radio in NY is blasting Cashman for doing nothing as NY sends out Sergio Mitre as a #5 starter and he keeps getting hammered.

since hal realized cashman was spending his inheritance.:lol:
They could have gotten somebody besides Jerry freaken Hairston.

Not getting a #5 starter will haunt them, unless they make a trade now in the waver period.

you should ge more first basemen.
i don't feel safe with less than four
:lol:
wtf?
You wonder if Boston & NY even pay attention to their own rosters sometimes, Boston did NOT need a catcher/1B/DH, that was something they had plenty of, and NY did not need a 'supersub' more then they needed someone who could make it to the 6th inning.

But things could be worse, the Mets are taking even more heat, they could have had:

Halladay
Holiday
Njer Morgan
Hinske
Cliff Lee
Adam Dunn
Nick Johnson

Instead, they 'stood pat'!

Word is Omar will be fired at season's end.

They could have gotten somebody besides Jerry freaken Hairston.

Not getting a #5 starter will haunt them, unless they make a trade now in the waver period.

you should ge more first basemen.
i don't feel safe with less than four
:lol:
wtf?
You wonder if Boston & NY even pay attention to their own rosters sometimes, Boston did NOT need a catcher/1B/DH, that was something they had plenty of, and NY did not need a 'supersub' more then they needed someone who could make it to the 6th inning.

But things could be worse, the Mets are taking even more heat, they could have had:

Halladay
Holiday
Njer Morgan
Hinske
Cliff Lee
Adam Dunn
Nick Johnson

Instead, they 'stood pat'!

Word is Omar will be fired at season's end.

That's funny. We were calling Pat Gillick "Stand Pat" last year when he passed on the big name starting pitchers at a time when we badly needed one.

Instead he got Blanton, and the rest is history. Doesn't always have to be a big name to put you over the edge.

We got Moyer and Jeff Conine in '07 on waivers, and that helped win us the division.

You can come up on some good deals in waiver trades, I wouldn't necessarily be bummed just yet. I admittedly don't know of any names off the top of my head this season that could hit waivers. Do you?

Pitchers rarely hit the waver wire.

All NY needed was a guy like Zack Duke from the Pirates, it didn't need Halladay.

Red Sox place Tim Wakefield's personal catcher George Kottaras on the DL.

This is TOTALLY a real injury and has nothing to do with Wakefield already being on the DL for a TOTALLY real injury or Victor Martinez joining the team.

I swear.

Forum List

Back