The Age of Corporate Treason

This thread has been productive for me in that it's provided an interesting insight into a certain political posture.

The appeal of the Libertarian political philosophy rests mainly in its determined intention to reduce the power of government and liberate the individual citizen from the influence and the confines of federal authority. The Libertarian ideology holds that government is essentilaly redundant and should be reduced to the barest minimum, especially where the imposition of taxes and issues of private behavior are concerned.

At first glance this perception of political liberation occurs as an appealing social attitude, the feasibility of which tends to weaken the more closely one examines and considers its real potential. The reason why the Libertarians never seem to move beyond a certain level of political success, but yet they never give up, is rooted in the imaginative appeal of their ideology -- which essentially is a pipe dream.

Anyone who has raised children is acquainted with the intense sense of resentment for parental authority that attends the earlier stages of adolescence. In extreme examples of this developing maturity the adolescent will denounce parental authority, demanding to be regarded as independent and free, and citing all sorts of spurious ideas in support of their presumptive liberty.

Having raised three daughters it's not hard to understand why I am thoroughly familiar with the, "You have no right to tell me what to do" routine during the thirteen to seventeen stage of development.

In the same way as the puppies and kittens get together, conspire, conjure all sorts of ideas about why partental authority is extraneous and reinforce each others' longing for liberation, the political Libertarians are convinced that government is an oppressive redundancy and there is no need for nation, or social order, and that "taxation is theft," etc.

Adult Libertarians are bad enough. But when adolescents hook this political ideology to their anti-parental authority wagon -- it's a circus.

It's always nice when, rather than come up with anything substantive, somebody just resorts to calling us immature and childish.

This is way more substantive than anything I've seen from you. Then again, I've only started paying attention. Maybe your best days are behind you and I wasn't here to witness them.

Yes, because it's nonsense. If it's a "subjective concept" then it's entirely possible that the so-called quantitative measures have nothing to do with what you're claiming they're measuring.

Ok, pick another name for the force that increases wealth disparity and we'll use that.

Hard work.

Really? Is that how George Soros or Al Gore or any of the Hollywood elite that you undoubtedly hate did it?

Still with the objectivist fetish. I've told you how the effects of subjective concept can be quantitatively measured. Did it go in one ear and out the other?

Where? If its subjective, it can't be measured. That's what "subjective" means.

Apparently my Higgs Boson discussion never registered on your consciousness.

It never registered because it was logically flawed. "Greed" is nothing like the Higgs Boson. It's more like bigfoot or unicorn farts.

Where? If its subjective, it can't be measured. That's what "subjective" means.

It never registered because it was logically flawed. "Greed" is nothing like the Higgs Boson. It's more like bigfoot or unicorn farts.

Subjective means that individual people experience it differently. Greed is a force that has objective effects nevertheless.

Just as gas pressure is caused by the average speed of molecules hitting a surface, it says nothing of the speed of each individual molecule. You want to dismiss greed because you look at it on an individual basis rather than its effect on society.

This thread has been productive for me in that it's provided an interesting insight into a certain political posture.

The appeal of the Libertarian political philosophy rests mainly in its determined intention to reduce the power of government and liberate the individual citizen from the influence and the confines of federal authority. The Libertarian ideology holds that government is essentilaly redundant and should be reduced to the barest minimum, especially where the imposition of taxes and issues of private behavior are concerned.

At first glance this perception of political liberation occurs as an appealing social attitude, the feasibility of which tends to weaken the more closely one examines and considers its real potential. The reason why the Libertarians never seem to move beyond a certain level of political success, but yet they never give up, is rooted in the imaginative appeal of their ideology -- which essentially is a pipe dream.

Anyone who has raised children is acquainted with the intense sense of resentment for parental authority that attends the earlier stages of adolescence. In extreme examples of this developing maturity the adolescent will denounce parental authority, demanding to be regarded as independent and free, and citing all sorts of spurious ideas in support of their presumptive liberty.

Having raised three daughters it's not hard to understand why I am thoroughly familiar with the, "You have no right to tell me what to do" routine during the thirteen to seventeen stage of development.

In the same way as the puppies and kittens get together, conspire, conjure all sorts of ideas about why partental authority is extraneous and reinforce each others' longing for liberation, the political Libertarians are convinced that government is an oppressive redundancy and there is no need for nation, or social order, and that "taxation is theft," etc.

Adult Libertarians are bad enough. But when adolescents hook this political ideology to their anti-parental authority wagon -- it's a circus.

It's always nice when, rather than come up with anything substantive, somebody just resorts to calling us immature and childish.

This is way more substantive than anything I've seen from you. Then again, I've only started paying attention. Maybe your best days are behind you and I wasn't here to witness them.

Entirely possible.

Subjective means that individual people experience it differently. Greed is a force that has objective effects nevertheless.

Just as gas pressure is caused by the average speed of molecules hitting a surface, it says nothing of the speed of each individual molecule. You want to dismiss greed because you look at it on an individual basis rather than its effect on society.

"Subjective" means it isn't measurable or physically detectable. How can you claim it has measurable effects when you can't even demonstrate that it exists? That's like saying unicorn farts are causing global warming.

Government regulations can be a drag, even cause serious problems for a society or its economy, of course.

NOBODY who studies this issue seriously disputes that.

Failure to regulate can likewise be a problems, and who can deny that, either?

EVen the best planned laws or regulations can backfire.

Additionally the interaction between regulations can have blowback NOBODY could have foretold.

All of these complaints about regulations are valid and obvious.

But sans any regulations the market does not inevitably become a highly effecient boon to mankind, either.

Markets are not necessarily self correcting in the sense that they serve inevitably the society.

Much of their self correcting nature is that they correct for the market itself, and not necessarily in ways that serve the public.

Hence we are ALL stuck knowing that we will regulate businesses, and that some of those regulations will have unexpected, sometimes horrific outcomes.

Sucks doesn't it?

The above unhappy reality will be the unhappy relaity regardless of what party is in charge

Humans are fallible.

Systems are sometimes terribly misguided.

Times change and make systems obsolete.

Shit happens.

"Subjective" means it isn't measurable or physically detectable. How can you claim it has measurable effects when you can't even demonstrate that it exists? That's like saying unicorn farts are causing global warming.

How many people believe in unicorn farts? Compare that with the concept of greed. It's been around since biblical times at least and is palpable to everyone I know. Do you deny that it exists?

How many people believe in unicorn farts? Compare that with the concept of greed. It's been around since biblical times at least and is palpable to everyone I know. Do you deny that it exists?

The fact that people believe in it doesn't make it true. In the Middle Ages, people believed in witches and burned women accused of being witches at the stake. In this day and age, numerous people believe in Bigfoot, in perpetual motion machines, that cars can be made to run on water and that politicians can be honest.

"Greed" doesn't exist. It's nothing more than an imaginary quality some attribute to people they envy because of their material wealth.

The fact that people believe in it doesn't make it true. In the Middle Ages, people believed in witches and burned women accused of being witches at the stake. In this day and age, numerous people believe in Bigfoot, in perpetual motion machines, that cars can be made to run on water and that politicians can be honest.

"Greed" doesn't exist. It's nothing more than an imaginary quality some attribute to people they envy because of their material wealth.

Envy... Does that exist? Quantify it.

Death to the unicorns:evil:

Government regulations can be a drag, even cause serious problems for a society or its economy, of course.

NOBODY who studies this issue seriously disputes that.

Failure to regulate can likewise be a problems, and who can deny that, either?

EVen the best planned laws or regulations can backfire.

Additionally the interaction between regulations can have blowback NOBODY could have foretold.

All of these complaints about regulations are valid and obvious.

But sans any regulations the market does not inevitably become a highly effecient boon to mankind, either.

Markets are not necessarily self correcting in the sense that they serve inevitably the society.

Much of their self correcting nature is that they correct for the market itself, and not necessarily in ways that serve the public.

Hence we are ALL stuck knowing that we will regulate businesses, and that some of those regulations will have unexpected, sometimes horrific outcomes.

Sucks doesn't it?

The above unhappy reality will be the unhappy relaity regardless of what party is in charge

Humans are fallible.

Systems are sometimes terribly misguided.

Times change and make systems obsolete.

Shit happens.

You started off well, but you flagged in the middle, and completely lost it at the end.

Few people doubt that some regulation is needed in the markets to ensure that the market is open, honest, and fair to all players. That is just about as far as the regulations should go. We have no business using government to distort markets in an effort to effect any common good. The negative consequences of doing so always outweigh the benefits desired.

Over regulation not only distorts markets, but it turns honest businessmen into criminals as they find that they cannot comply with all of those regulations and still stay in business. They begin to find ways around the regulations, or ignore them and hope they don't get caught. This, in turn, gives regulators power over those businesses, since they can burn them if they so desire. Bribes become a way of doing business.

Forum List

Back