The bad play call that just won't go away...

Obviously the NFL wanted the vast LA market and media as opposed to the relatively paltry New Orleans
fan base and what little interest they would drum up. Nothing new.

The NFL is always steering the big games in their favor.

The Lords of pro football have their interests to protect (not that I care about the NFL anymore).

Last edited:
So ridiculous. It was a bad call, they happen.
Yes. Bad calls do happen. That's why a means by which horrible calls could be reviewed and reversed (if necessary) was instituted.
Especially in instances where league championships are on the line.

But I guess you are more comfortable covering your eyes and pretending everything is ok.

Yes. Bad calls do happen. That's why a means by which horrible calls could be reviewed and reversed (if necessary) was instituted.

But I guess you are more comfortable covering your eyes and pretending everything is ok.

What are you talking about? The NFL did not allow review of pass interference calls when that play happened. There is a new rule about it this year. I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of bad calls in NFL football. Some were more egregious than that one. They certainly were not all reviewed and reversed. Some, like in the divisional-round game between the Steelers and Colts back in 2006, have been reviewed and changed into horrible calls.

What are you talking about? The NFL did not allow review of pass interference calls when that play happened. There is a new rule about it this year. I've seen hundreds, if not thousands, of bad calls in NFL football. Some were more egregious than that one. They certainly were not all reviewed and reversed. Some, like in the divisional-round game between the Steelers and Colts back in 2006, have been reviewed and changed into horrible calls.
I meant instituted going forward from that horrible non call. Everyone who has seen it says the seven refs all swallowed their whistles simultaneously on that play.

You don't have to be a conspiracy theorist to realize the NFL wanted the Southern California market interested in the Super Bowl and New Orleans did not exactly carry the same nation wide cache.
Look at the link provided when the Sea Hawks were screwed like a two bit prostitute in the super Bowl.

Yes but none had as much on the line as this one did. This was not just any run of the mill game, this was the championship game, with the winning team going to the superbowl. It happened at nearly the end of the game. It was wildly obvious and nobody has been able to demonstrate a more egregious call at a more important time in any game in history.

Officials and Roger himself have been ordered to answer questions under oath about the extremely obvious no-call in the Saints game that ruined their chances at the Super Bowl.

Roger Goodell, title game officials to face questions on 'no-call'
The bad call probably cost the Saints another appearance in the Super Bowl, but I can see where some would say it was payback for the noise created by their 12th man fans who believe the price of admission gives them the right to determine the outcome on the playing field.

The best team should win, not the loudest fans.
647a313d-5649-4017-b077-ccee6cb29527-USP_NFL__NFC_Championship_Game-Los_Angeles_Rams_at.JPG

Loudest Superdome moments from the NFC Championship

The Saints will get an early opportunity for revenge, but most of their fans will be watching on television.
Watch New Orleans Saints vs. Los Angeles Rams [09/15/2019] including a live Drive Chart and real-time highlights | NFL.com

The Lords of pro football have their interests to protect (not that I care about the NFL anymore).

Only an idiot, or an entire group of idiots would try to change the outcome of a game in such an obvious manner. The officials blew the call, but it wasn’t intentional.

That's the thing that gets me. If the NFL were going to fix a game, why do it in such an incompetent fashion?

That's the thing that gets me. If the NFL were going to fix a game, why do it in such an incompetent fashion?
Can you think of a simpler, more fool proof way to make sure LA goes to the Super Bowl? Of course seven refs who all swallowed their whistles simultaneously on a play everyone agrees was a blatant foul is going to look bad.

But what's anyone going to do about it? All black eyes eventually go away. As soon as the next season begins this will all fade into the background and all the lemmings will be back salivating over another season of NFL football.

Yes but none had as much on the line as this one did. This was not just any run of the mill game, this was the championship game, with the winning team going to the superbowl. It happened at nearly the end of the game. It was wildly obvious and nobody has been able to demonstrate a more egregious call at a more important time in any game in history.

Well, there was the Bert Emanual non-catch in the Championship game against the Rams, but that was actually the correct call at the time I think. They did change the catch rule because of it, though.

Mike Renfro's catch against the Steelers in 79 is a big one, although it wasn't as late in the game.

Jerry Rice fumbling the ball with less than a minute to go against the Packers, in the game that TO made the final TD catch to redeem himself, was also pretty bad.

There is the Tuck Rule play, of course.

The non-call in the Saints/Rams game was terrible, and the situation certainly made it worse. Maybe it was the worst non-call, based on those factors, in NFL history. It was still just a bad call, though. Conspiracy theories and lawsuits are taking things too far. :)

Can you think of a simpler, more fool proof way to make sure LA goes to the Super Bowl? Of course seven refs who all swallowed their whistles simultaneously on a play everyone agrees was a blatant foul is going to look bad.

But what's anyone going to do about it? All black eyes eventually go away. As soon as the next season begins this will all fade into the background and all the lemmings will be back salivating over another season of NFL football.

It really wasn't 7 officials ( they are not ref's) swallowing their whistles - 2 at the most would have had that area to officiate,
those 2 blew it, no doubt, If a flag would have came in from one of the other officials farther away - that would have started a different uproar.

There was no grand conspiracy.

Only an idiot, or an entire group of idiots would try to change the outcome of a game in such an obvious manner. The officials blew the call, but it wasn’t intentional.
Of course. All the referees just missed an incredibly blatant foul at the same time and everyone agrees the Saints were robbed. Not intentional. All the game officials just forgot what glaring pass interference AND leading with the helmet on the very same play looked like.

Call it coincidental simultaneous temporary amnesia (CSTA) of NFL game referees on the one play that should have put New Orleans in a clear position to win their playoff game. Nothing fishy about that.

A simpler way than to wait for a game to end up extremely close, with the Saints driving to try and take the lead late? Sure. Have the refs screw the Saints all game, and the Rams win. No need to put it all one terrible call at the end which will have a giant spotlight shined on it. Hell, they could have just called a bunch of ticky-tack holding calls to keep the Saints final drive from going anywhere.

Do you think the refs were instructed to only do something to screw over the Saints if the Saints happened to be trying to take the lead in the late stages of the game, and that those refs couldn't find a better way to go about it?

Of course. All the referees just missed an incredibly blatant foul at the same time and everyone agrees the Saints were robbed. Not intentional. All the game officials just forgot what glaring pass interference AND leading with the helmet on the very same play looked like.

Call it coincidental simultaneous temporary amnesia (CSTA) of NFL game referees on the one play that should have put New Orleans in a clear position to win their playoff game. Nothing fishy about that.

Do you think all the refs look at the same thing on every play?

Do you think all the refs look at the same thing on every play?
It's not interesting for me to speculate on how such a blatantly clear penalty was completely missed.
Look at my post (#2) and the video included. My team, Seattle, was victimized by a string of non stop miscalled penalties and self admitted errors by the refs.

Yet I'm not suggesting a deliberate effort to award Pittsburgh the Super Bowl, though some could make the case.

In this instance, however, I am completely stunned by a non call on such an obvious, clear and unambiguous foul.
No one who has seen the video concludes anything other than blatant bungling by officials that day.

These things "just happen" doesn't seem very convincing to me under the circumstances.

In an attempt to avoid being the deciding factor in a very important playoff game, the refs became the deciding factor in a very important playoff game.

Forum List

Back