The Best And Most Responsible Plan For Gun Law Is So Simple It's Not Funny

MarcATL

Diamond Member
Aug 12, 2009
Simply require insurance for each and every gun-owner.

Treat it like cars. If you own a gun, it has to be insured. Plain and simple.

If you're caught with an uninsured gun. you get a hefty fine, and potentially jail-time, for repeat offenders especially.

The industry and individuals will police themselves. They'll have to.

It will even close the loop-hole of the private gun-sales we currently have.

Am I right or am I right?

If you're caught with an uninsured gun. you get a hefty fine, and potentially jail-time, for repeat offenders especially.

Most gun violence is as of the result of illegally acquired guns. It is not going to deter the well-motivated villan who seeks to commit gun violence. One of the proposals put forth as a deterrent was to increase the penalties/jail time for those caught committing a crime using a gun...any crime. Why do you have a gun? Most likely, it's illegal. That plan was shot down.

Responsibility and your name is an oxymoron.

If you cannot legislate firearms out of existence, price them out of range of most regular people. No, you are wrong. This will still not deter the criminal or mentally ill from acquiring what they feel they need to make their mark.
Here's another suggestion: how about we not make such a side-show out of every incident, minor or otherwise. If it weren't for those 15 minutes of fame, lots of these nutballs would forego the theatrics.
How about we address the deeper illnesses of this sick society?

Most gun violence is as of the result of illegally acquired guns. It is not going to deter the well-motivated villan who seeks to commit gun violence. One of the proposals put forth as a deterrent was to increase the penalties/jail time for those caught committing a crime using a gun...any crime. Why do you have a gun? Most likely, it's illegal. That plan was shot down.
More jailtime only works in the minds of the childlike. That's a nonsensical and not to mention, emotional response.

No criminal is thinking, "I wonder how much time will I get for this?" during the act of any crime.

You'd be wise to stop saying that claptrap.

1 in 6 drivers in Dallas County is uninsured | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News

It's about safety and responsibility folks.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Insurance covers both very well.

Marc, that's pretty stupid.

You continue to forget that criminals with guns don't obey any laws pertaining to guns. You gleefully forget how there is something called a black market they use to circumvent the law. Insurance on firearms will not change that.

1 in 6 drivers in Dallas County is uninsured | Dallasnews.com - News for Dallas, Texas - The Dallas Morning News
What happens if/when they get caught?

Post a link for that.

Marc, that's pretty stupid.

You continue to forget that criminals with guns don't obey any laws pertaining to guns. You gleefully forget how there is something called a black market they use to circumvent the law. Insurance on firearms will not change that.
It will stop the fringes of the blackmarket.

Those that buy guns legally that sell them to others that shouldn't have guns.

Insurance will allow it to be easily tracked, thus stopping those legal once messing around.

You can't stop the black market of ANY industry...so don't come to me with that nonsense.

More jailtime only works in the minds of the childlike. That's a nonsensical and not to mention, emotional response.

No criminal is thinking, "I wonder how much time will I get for this?" during the act of any crime.

I'm curious now. What exactly does a criminal think while committing a crime. And how can you be so certain that criminals think that thought?

I'm curious now. What exactly does a criminal think while committing a crime. And how can you be so certain that criminals think that thought?
Whatever it is, it's not how much time they're going to get for committing the crime. I know that much.

Post a link for that.

First fines, then more fines, later possibly suspension of license.

TexasSure - What if I drive without insurance?

That's if they're caught driving.

So if they're caught shooting a gun without insurance what will you do?

You are utterly wrong.

How far will we take this mandatory insurance reasoning? Seriously, auto insurance is a bad precedent and it's being used to fuel a corporatist takeover of liberal democracy.

Here in the rightwing state of Georgia, you go to jail.

If you get stopped with no license, 9 timse out of ten, you're going to jail.

W/O insurance...automatic jail-time. Do not pass "Go straight to jail."

I agree. Here's an even better way to reduce all crime. Decriminalize all drugs. Punish the criminal misuse of drugs by all means, but if you want to be stoned in your own home who am I to deny you. And, anyone who uses a firearm to commit a crime, go's to jail forever.

Last edited:
It's about safety and responsibility folks.

Nothing more, nothing less.

Insurance covers both very well.

No, it's not. It's about confiscation. Once you require a "right" to be insured it is no longer a right and it can then be regulated out of existence. Really, I thought you were smarter than that. We may be gun owners but we're not nearly as stupid as you collectivists. You guys will believe anything... we have brains..

I find that much more believable than a criminal saying "sorry guys, but I can't do that drive by until I get my gun insured."

YOU are so simple, its not funny.

Last edited:
All insurance would do is add an unnecessary expense for responsible gun owners. It wouldn't do a thing to deter irresponsible people or discourage people using illegal weapons in the least.

I get sick tired of the good guys being ever more inconvenienced and oppressed with more and more taxes, expenses, rules, regulations, restrictions, and mandates as if that will somehow discourage the irresponsible and criminal.

Post a link for that.

Here in the rightwing state of Georgia, you go to jail.

If you get stopped with no license, 9 timse out of ten, you're going to jail.

W/O insurance...automatic jail-time. Do not pass "Go straight to jail."

The interweb doesn't think you go to jail for driving without insurance in Georgia. At least not right away.

Penalties for Failure to Meet Georgia Insurance Requirements | Law Offices of Sheryl L. Burke

Forum List

Back