The big question about life on other planets: 1000000000000000000000 planets in the universe

Toob, you like to parade yourself like you're mister science expert, and insulting people left and right who haven't done shit to you yet. Who the fuck made you the science guru on this board?

You need to calm down!

Sometimes I say things in jest, they're not to be taken seriously. But shit... you not only attack me, but you attack everyone! As much as Bond and I disagree and insult each other, at least we have a history.

I don't really care how smart you think you are, the reality is you sound like a pompous ass, using your keyboard muscles to make your penis seem bigger.

Keep in mind you have 16,000 more posts than me, and I've been here 4 years longer than you. So as far as pathetic keyboard worlds, you win that category.

So, tell me what your idea of what an alien life-form that traveled to Earth in a spaceship would possibly look like?

Calm down little jellybean. :itsok: It doesn't take a "science expert" to know your theories on life in space are garbage! Or that being a "Jello" life form would be an advantage over us, where jello can deform under G force with no harm to any shape while we would be splatter on the wall. There are two kinds of people in this world RWS, those that know more than they tell, and the many found on this board like you who tell more than they know!
Okay...but i would like to know how an undifferentiated blob forms thoughts, or metabolizes food, or performs specific functions without differentiated structures.

I never said an undifferentiated blob was a space alien ship traveler. Eukaryotes formed here over 2 billion years ago. Why can't a space alien be a blob without a spine (kind of like Yaphit on The Orville) and still have specialized cells? You are asking questions no one can answer without having traveled all over the galaxy to see many advanced life forms elsewhere. I think most will take on a general pattern similar to ours; there is a reason why nature chose our form. All I was saying is that being a blob might make it easier not harder to endure space travel.

Why can't a space alien be a blob without a spine (kind of like Yaphit on The Orville) and still have specialized cells?
I would think so. But these would form differentiated structures. Even eukaryotes had organelles. And these structures would still be vulnerable to acceleration forces. Its hard to imagine such creatures building and researching the tech.

Why can't a space alien be a blob without a spine (kind of like Yaphit on The Orville) and still have specialized cells?
I would think so. But these would form differentiated structures. Even eukaryotes had organelles. And these structures would still be vulnerable to acceleration forces. Its hard to imagine such creatures building and researching the tech.

I would think it better to have organelles in a gelatinous mass than our bodies which can change shape or smoosh very little without destruction. But like I said, with so little to go by than ourselves and other life on Earth all formed under identical general conditions, people can only speculate. People have speculated to the possibility of living animals existing even in certain outer layers of Jupiter's atmosphere! I suppose it's possible!

I would think it better to have organelles in a gelatinous mass than our bodies which can change shape or smoosh very little without destruction. But like I said, with so little to go by than ourselves and other life on Earth all formed under identical general conditions, people can only speculate. People have speculated to the possibility of living animals existing even in certain outer layers of Jupiter's atmosphere! I suppose it's possible!
Right....like, would we even recognize alien life if we saw it?

Possibly not. Some life on Earth is almost unrecognizable. And chances are any life capable of coming here from another star system will be so far over us that we might not recognize them as life and they may only see us as we see pond scum.

Possibly not. Some life on Earth is almost unrecognizable. And chances are any life capable of coming here from another star system will be so far over us that we might not recognize them as life and they may only see us as we see pond scum.
Maybe. But i think it more likely they woould recognize our sentience and not be cruel to us. Look at the beds gorillas construct. Compare them to skyscrapers. But we still recognize that it is not okay to be cruel to them.

Experiment. Amino acids dissolve in water. Kaput. No primordial soup in the ocean. Now, Fort Fun Indiana and the atheist scientists are focusing they formed over the air just above the ocean. They believe anything their magic sky fairy Satan tells them.

Sorry, no. The fact that water is such a perfect solvent which allows a myriad chemical reactions in the first place is what allowed amino acids to form, in a world chemistry quite different from today. And the primordial soup did not occur in the ocean per se, it occurred in discrete tidal pools under fixed, stable conditions which eventually allowed the beginnings of life, the first prokaryotes to appear and eventually spread.

You have some weird science. Amino acids do not form in water. They were suppose to form in space due to lightning and volcanic gas mixture and fall into the oceans, lakes, and ponds in order form primordial soup, but the water dissolves them. Thus, the new theory is life formed in the air just above the water and then fell into the water. We do not see any of this happen today, nor has anyone demonstrated this via experiment. You can talk about all the DNA chains that you want, but amino acids do not form in water. Even if you did form amino acids which is doubtful, then it would be even more of a stretch for them to become proteins. Experiments have debunked formation of amino acids, but evolutionists still believe that they form in the atmosphere or geysers or air layers.

Funny, I always thought "my" science was just science! And I never knew there were volcanoes and lightning in space! And I never knew water destroyed aminos considering that half of them form in your body (mostly water) and the other half form in the foods we eat (also full of water). Boy, you are just so far ahead of the rest of us you should write a book. It was always my understanding that the first aminos likely formed in the ocean (water again) in a process involving certain types of rocks and sea water called serpentization. But what would I know, I don't have your grasp of (real) science.

If you think abiogenesis is real, then you are subscribing to fake science. It has been debunked already. I just called it weird science because you believe what you described when there is no evidence and we do not see it happen. If you had something, then you would be able to describe how amino acids form in wherever you said, how it forms proteins, and how they end up becoming life. Creation scientists have explained how this happens in the cell. What do you know -- science backs up the Bible.

There should be experiments to back abiogenesis up. Instead, what us skeptics are subjected to is "faith based" science. Maybe you believe volcanoes and lightning in space. You're the one who described it as such :cuckoo:. Secular science with its big bang and explanations of what happened is insufficient. It does not describe how we got to where we are today, i.e. the universe, Earth, and everything in it. Even the quantum scientists like Hawking thought we shouldn't be here. Besides abiogenesis, do you believe in multiverses, too? There is no evidence for that either. Maybe you just believe whatever the secular/atheist scientists make up (influenced by the other sky fairy, Satan).

Bond, you are just one more USMB idiot who parades himself around claiming far more than you really know.
  • SHOW ME where I said I believed in volcanoes and lightning in space. YOU said that.
  • Show me where I said anything about Creationism.
It is pointless talking about theories of universal creation, other universes, etc., when by their very nature, one cannot "prove" other universes outside their own, it is all theory, just as is theist vs. atheist. Though I believe in God, no one can prove or disprove him. Same with YOUR theory: you can no more prove aminos formed over water than at the bottom of the ocean because that was a long time ago and those conditions don't exist anymore.

THE ONE THING WE DO KNOW is that at one time there was no life. There was a time before there was life on this planet, then slowly, microbial life began and evolved into more complex levels, so life came from non-life. You don't have to be an atheist to know that.

That and every scientist on the planet now believes in the strong likelihood of there being life in the subsurface oceans on Europa and Enceladus, where there is no choice but it having formed in the deep ocean near smokers.

You started out good. We do all have to agree that there was no life...and then life.
But why was there nothing after that? Not a shred of evidence over billions of years that life happened twice....even on this world which we *know* is conducive to life.
Why would that be? And what does it mean for other worlds?

Maybe. But i think it more likely they woould recognize our sentience and not be cruel to us. Look at the beds gorillas construct. Compare them to skyscrapers. But we still recognize that it is not okay to be cruel to them.

For a society to survive millions of years to travel the stars, they may have given up all emotions, maybe be part machine or run by machines and driven by pure logic. At a certain dispassionate level, we are like a virus to the Earth that could be wiped out and neither Earth nor other species would blink. I can't think of a single other species in our biosphere that "depends" on us other than maybe rats. Indeed, the Earth may be far better off without man.

Not a shred of evidence over billions of years that life happened twice....even on this world which we *know* is conducive to life.
Why would that be?
Because the universe is so large. And the idea that it "only happened once here" only makes sense. Once DNA life spread across the globe, it dominated the available materials. It would be harder for a second type of life to arise, when the process is disturbed by existing life, and the available materials are either biomass or being eaten by biomass.

There's probably microscopic organisms out there, but probably not like life on earth. Too many things have to come together perfectly to reproduce an environment like ours.

I can easily see us developing AI and robotics within a thousand years to the extent that they can do human functions. AI can play at master level chess, go, and Jeopardy. These robots from a Boston Dynamics video demonstrate dexterity.

We need to eventually get beyond the custom specialty AI programming and figure out how to power the robots with the efficiency of potato chips and Hershey bars rather than lithium. They can survive in space and be sent to Mars or other stars to procreate. They may not have consciousness, but is that necessary for it to be called "life"?

I think most will take on a general pattern similar to ours; there is a reason why nature chose our form. All I was saying is that being a blob might make it easier not harder to endure space travel.

Thank you.

All you were saying is that you were being an ass. But you agree with the general principle of a race capable of building a spaceship.

Last edited:
My hope is we can send the atheists/commies to Canada :biggrin:.

I'm Cuban, and I'm an atheist. And I would love to be Communist. But I can't...

My version of Communism is different than yours though.

This, according to some estimate, give or take quite a few zeroes I'm sure. A deeper philosophical question which goes beyond theology, though it certainly entangles it.

So, this number again, 1000000000000000000000 planets! According to The Institute of Astronomy at University of Cambridge. How many solar systems are there? | Institute of Astronomy

Putting the exact estimation aside. We would have to take a massive leap of faith to think that not only is there NOT other life in the universe, but, also of such existences, that there aren't many far more advanced than us.

Imagine a planet the size of Jupiter, 100's of billions of citizens. Imagine them not having our reptilian instincts of rage and violence, or developing weapons of war to be used against each other. Consider if they had the average brain power 250x that of our smartest humans, and existed for much longer, maybe lived on average 10000 years.

What would be the end result? Is there any religion that makes any consideration for this possibility (outside, I think Scientology)? It really is a daunting concept. We could be the most advanced by far, we might be Gods great creation. It would hardly seem we could be alone though based on the odds and even plain randomness.

Scientology is not a religion. Scientology is a criminal organisation, nothing else. Second: 250times smarter ETs with an individual lifespan of 10,000 years are doing wars on planets in the size of Jupiter with populations of hundreds of billions? Smart? What means smart? Third: The universe is damned big. And I do not have the feeling in a radius of 1000 lightyears around the Earth we noticed anything, what we could call an artificial signal. Fourth: What says your classification "a nearly endless number of planets"(10^21 planets when I counted right - and your link is btw without relevance). Also in our own solar system is practically all matter dead - the mass of the biosphere of planet Earth is nearly nothing.

Your problem is the calculation "~0*~oo". The calculaion "nearly no chance times nearly endless possibilities" gives a concrete result. But which one? No one is able to know this. We know that we exist, so we know intelligent life is possible. That's all what we know. Everything else is science fiction.

Last edited:
I'm an UFO enthusiast, but I don't believe Scientology. That's crazy....

But actually it's better than the the trilogy religions

When deciding upon your religion, you have to decide if you're really smart or really dumb. It's tough to do that as a baby, but later on you should be able to make a decision...

If you're really smart, you're going to make up your own stuff that makes sense for your intelligence level and your observations.

If you're really dumb, you're just going to follow the shit that's been spoon-fed to you since birth and ignore the observations.

Forum List

Back